Civ IV Complete Edition: Unable to apply patches

ABitFrustrated

Chieftain
I download the patch no problem, but when I attempt to install, it states that I have no currently installed version of Civ IV on my PC?? Whadddooo I dooo? pse assist..

I just loaded Civ Complete and I get the following...

When I go to install the 3.19 patch (mainly for some mods) it ask me if I want to remove (uninstall) this program and all it's features instead of installing the patch... I got the same result from both the game menu patch install (check for updates) and downloading the exe file to install... so what to do?

did you get complete on cd/dvd or from an online store?

I have the PC-DVD and when I go to "about this built" it says 'build 317' then I click check for updates and download the update and instead of installing the update it ask if I want to uninstall the program as if it was already updated.

I did have the game with cd disc with disc check on this computer I removed to install the complete version the old install was updated but it has been removed and for some strange reason the old install placed the game in "application data" and the civ complete installed into the "program file" both with a few shortcuts into "my documents/my games"

xp professional

edit: 32 bit

Mainly I need it for MOD's I play... Rise of Man 2.71 (requires BTS 3.19) but I have downloaded the older 2.62 version for BTS 3.17 I haven't tried it yet as I'm trying out CivCol which Ive never played before.

Thank in advance for your help.

I installed the patch from the "check for update' link in the game and then I tried it again from the link here on this site and I got the same exact file and neither would install, both wanted to uninstall the program... which I might try and then reinstall it with no mods or tweeks and try to install the patch then... it's very odd.

I got it to install...

I had to uninstall everything Civ.

I uninstalled everything with add/remove program... then I manually removed all rouge files (mod, utilities, save games etc) I made sure everything in 'Application Date' 'My Games' and '2K Games' was completely gone. Ran disc cleanup (just to dump the 2 gig's worth of manually deleted files then defragged as a matter of course) rebooted and reinstalled the game from scratch.

Ran the 3.19 setup file and it installed fine...

Now all I have to do is reinstall the dozens of Mod's and redo all the setting tweaks and various adjustments to each mod I deleted without backing up (oops)

Anyway I'm sure it was something stupid from the Original Game (both Vanilla and BTS) being installed (Application Date/Firaxis) with the patch and the Civ Complete being in a different directory (Program Files/2k Games) but sharing the "My Documents/My Games" folder without the patch... the install program thought it was patched even though it wasn't and asked to uninstall it... make sense?

So what ever file the patch install was looking for to say 3.17 to be updated or 3.19 installed run uninstall I think it was finding the original installation which was already at 3.19... confusing enough for you?

Now I need to install a mod and see if it works...

Confusing yes.. but not so much.

The patch I was trying to install for Civ Complete's BtS was seeing the 3.19 patch I installed for Civ BtS (vanilla expansion) and it thought the 3.19 patch was already installed... as you know if you try to install Civ (or a patch) again it will run the uninstall wizard by default.

So short of hunting down the offending path I just dumped it all and started over. I had no deep emotional connection to save game files or tweaks, annoying to redo but easily done.

Since you're the "Repair Guy" I'm boring you with these detail in case someone else runs up against it... It was a simple case of installing "Civ Complete" while having Civ IV and BtS already installed and the 3.19 patch for Complete saw the prior patched BtS and tried to run uninstall instead.

Get it?

Sure I do - I have seen weird interactions between installs in the past (especially when I did triple and quadruple installs of the game) - still shouldn't happen :)
True that's one of my beefs is it doesn't ask if you want to uninstall or reinstall... it just "assumes" and you know what happens when you "assume"

Seems to me if you run the update FROM the program to be updated it should update that program and not find another install that has been updated. Why it just wouldn't install into the same directory and overwrite the existing installation is unknown to me... as much as I like Civ and the fact that it's one of the few games users can tweak and modify as much as this one some of the stuff they do seems totally clueless.

I've installed this game on 4 computers in my house and it's placed it in 3 different directories... much like the game settings I think the installation destination is also set to "random".

Anyway now I need to figure out which modmod I installed into RoM mod that forces me to start as a minor Civ and removed the option to turn that off. :confused:

Top Bottom