Civ IV Culture Calculator Spreadsheet

O.H.Dog

Chieftain
For you cultural victory enthusiasts, here is an Excel spreadsheet to help figure out when your cities might achieve cultural victory. It allows four cities to be calculated, and gives you latest date of the fastest three.

Once I got going I got on a roll. I added a few little extras. I hope you like it.

Since each patch seems to change game speed values, I have made the spreadsheet more flexible. Version 1.4 now lets you choose which patch level you have 0.0, 1.09, 1.52, or 1.61.

I also added an option for custom CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml files.

If I am slow off the mark for the next patch, you can enter the values yourself from that file.

Thanks to ori we have an updated version which includes Beyond The Sword 3.13

It is available in the download forums here: Civ4 Culture Calculator1.5

Attachments

• Civ4 Culture Calculator1.4.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 3,869
O.H.Dog said:
For you cultural victory enthusiasts, here is an Excel spreadsheet to help figure out when your cities might achieve cultural victory. It allows four cities to be calculated, and gives you latest date of the fastest three.

Once I got going I got on a roll. I added a few little extras. I hope you like it.
:O I live in Walla Walla!

ToastyAlbus said:
:O I live in Walla Walla!

Yes, I figure a city with a cool name like "Walla Walla" deserves 30,000 culture points.

BTW. Thanks for your reply. It told me that you were able to download and open my spreadsheet.

This is great. Thanks. I've been working with a crude spreadsheet I wrote myself to do the same thing, but this one's much nicer and allows for some "what-ifs" that mine didn't.

Is there any way to integrate this into the game so that I don't have to toggle between the game and Excel? That transition from the game and back seems to take too long for me and I have to go back and forth to fill out the values for each city. Either that or write down the data needed and then transfer it to Excel, and that's too much work.

Nishdog said:
Is there any way to integrate this into the game so that I don't have to toggle between the game and Excel?

I was just thinking of that. I don't know how to do it. I'm sure something must be possible. It might require writing a program rather than using a spreadsheet. The algorithms would be the same. We might have to wait for the SDK before we can get something like that working.

Stupid question: Where do I see the current culture level for a city? I can find the current culture output, but not the current level.

sociotard said:
Stupid question: Where do I see the current culture level for a city? I can find the current culture output, but not the current level.

There's no such thing as a stupid question. Wait a minute. Yes there is. It's the one you don't ask.

I'm sorry I took so long getting back to you.

In map view (the normal view) you have to mouse over the star or dot below the city. Then look to the lower left for the stats.

In the city screen, you have to mouse over the culture bar at the lower left.

You will see something like: 19/turn and 282/500 (Developing)
which means your culture is growing at 19 per turn and you have reached 282 of the 500 you need for the next level.

O.H.Dog said:
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Wait a minute. Yes there is. It's the one you don't ask.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, but there are plenty of inquisitive idiots.
--demotivators.com

P.S. Not referenced to any posts!

Cool little tool and would be nice to see it integrated.

In the meantime, making a 1.3 (add marathon speed and any other 1.52 changes)?

A version for marathon speed would be much appreciated.

Sorry. I wasn't paying attention. I've been busy with other stuff (my machine now multiboots eight operating systems.)

I'll work on a Marathon + 1.52 patch version. It should not take long now.

I was right. It turns out that it didn't take long at all. I must be good at this. (I thought it would take a couple of days.)

Of course, it did take me a long time to get around to it. That I am bad at.

I did manage to get the 1.4 version for patch 1.61 out in a reasonable time. That did take a couple of days, but only because 45 MB takes me about two and a half hours to download so I did it overnight.

:bump:
I added the new gamespeeds for Beyond the Sword and uploaded the whole file as V 1.5 to the Download Database. I hope you don't mind me adopting your excellent work.

Note: BtS changed the turn count from years to months so the spreadsheet now looks a bit awkward and now gives years like 1991.25 I added a table to readout the month from these values to the sheet.

I don't know how to integrate a spreadsheet into Civ4, however, I found a way that works great on my system. I have three or four monitors attached. These days many video cards have two outputs. Also a second PCI or PCI-E video card can be added cheaply.

Have two (or more) monitors attached.
Run Civ4 in a window (clear Full-screen Mode in Graphics options, use a Screen Resolution smaller than your monitor's resolution.).
Run excel on the second screen.

Top Bottom