1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ IV diplomacy features?

Discussion in 'Communitas Expansion Pack' started by Putmalk, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Hi Communitas,

I created a mod over here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=141452526 to add some diplomatic features into the game, inspired by Civ 4. For now, it only includes "Share Opinion" from Civ IV - a feature where you can ask another AI how they feel about a particular player. It's completely modular and adaptable, and different from how InfoAddict handles things (I assume at least, I don't use InfoAddict) in that the AI can refuse to show you their details based on their attitude toward you.

You have my permission to include it into Communitas if you want (as far as I understand, this mod is a community project accepting submissions from anyone? Is this correct?). But I don't recommend having the Global Politics feature from InfoAddict included with this, because this feature is intended to give the AI the ability to hide their foreign politics with you.

It's a DLL mod. You'd have to rip specific pieces of my code and implement it into your custom DLL if you're using it. You can just Ctrl+F "//Added by Putmalk" and you should find all of my edits, I'm sure I added that comment to any changes I made.

Please let me know if you decide to use it. It should be bug-free....

2. albie_123

albie_123 Modding In Secret

When you do get back Thal, I think this is an obvious inclusion for a dll part of your mod - especially since it's a lot easier to put it in before the GEM dll gets too big.

3. Zaldron

Zaldron King

I feel I should post that it seems equally obvious to me that this shouldn't be in the base mod but rather a modmod since it's starting to stray more substantially from the base game functionality.

4. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

It modifies the DLL, you can't make it a modmod. But you can make every feature optional (with only really an addition of new game options and inserts into the code here and there to make sure they only work when that option is enabled.

5. stackpointer

stackpointer King

I spent a couple minutes merging the five lua files that Putmalk mentions here. There doesn't seem to be any direct incompatibilities with the two mods from the lua files. I used CivUP v2.5.2 and cIV DF v5 as the base files and are the required mod versions.

I am a big fan of the diplomacy additions that Putmalk has introduced with his mod but I've been playing with CivUP for so long that I couldn't do without the interface changes. I have played a couple of games with both cIV DF and CivUP and it seems like there aren't any obvious problems with the two running together.

Attached Files:

6. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Is CivUP a DLL mod? Or does it just modify LUA and XML?

If I get more information on how the mod works I can provide the necessary files to merge the two together.

7. stackpointer

stackpointer King

I believe CivUP does not modify any dll files, but I would not be able to say that with authority.

8. albie_123

CivUP and GEM do not modify the DLL at all.

9. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Very nice.

The full list of files I modify are:

Code:
    CivilopediaScreen.lua
    DiploCurrentDeals.xml
    DiploTrade.xml
    DiscussionDialog.lua
    DiscussionDialog.xml
    LeaderHeadRoot.lua
    LeaderHeadRoot.xml
    SimploDiploTrade.xml
    TechButtonInclude.lua
    TradeLogic.lua

Now I will say, I did not really mark my LUA files well (logging all my edits at some point after Version 6 so I can create my Vanilla and BNW versions) so you might have to do some digging to get them working correctly.

If you need help with converting, PM me.

10. stackpointer

stackpointer King

Thanks for the complete list! I just checked and luckily CivUP doesn't modify any of those xml files. Which is lucky because I didn't check any of that before attempting the merge.

11. albie_123

Actually, I think it fits perfectly into GEM - it enhances the original game while not drastically changing any mechanics. The upcoming vassal system that the mod will have might be a bit more drastic - but, c'mon, they were in Civ IV :p

12. mitsho

mitsho Deity

From that side, it does fit. I still wouldn't really want it.

I'm just not sure that civIV style diplomacy agreements fit well into the civV style.

13. Hawawaa

Hawawaa Prime

I think after BNW hits we will see all the new changes and get a better idea on whats needs adding, changing, etc... God damn it I want it to be July NOW!

14. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

The upcoming vassal system is extremely drastic - it also is going to include a new AI metric (Global State, essentially How am I doing in the world compared to everyone else?).

As of right now it's only part of the vassalage system though, and even better, the entire vassalage system can be turned off with one button (and you can always turn vassals off in the DLL by the use of one change "return true to return false" in canMakeVassal().

15. ravenfriend

ravenfriend Chieftain

Couldnt belive my luck when I found this mod in the workshop. Id love to be able to use this with civUP and GeM, but I get the leader screen with no options.

I realy miss being able to trade maps, but most of all I miss being able to trade tech's. Loved giving smaller civ's tech's in civ 4.

Is a cut down version of this possible with just the tech trading? Has anyone messed around and done this already?

16. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

If someone wants to pull that feature for communitas, you need to pull my modifications from Civ IV Diplomacy that affect tech trading into Communitas. And that would make this modify the DLL (if it doesn't already).

I will be doing this work (separating out each feature and how to implement) for people probably by the end of the month, as I need it to start porting over to BNW when that hits.

17. Barrabas

Barrabas Chieftain

Putmalk your mod sounds really interesting and I hope it will merged with Communitas, you could add it by yourself, as the Communitas projekt files are at Github.
    According to Thals Website, he will be back in the next few weeks...

You got my vote mate :)

18. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Ehhh I don't have time to merge them right now...maybe in the future?

19. powmod

powmod Chieftain

Sooooo, is this still a possibility? :)

20. Hambil

Hambil Emperor

All that said, map trading can be done with lua - much of what he has done can be replicated in lua. The logic would translate well. I think at least map trading deserves consideration.