[R&F] Civ of the Week: Poland

Which Civ should be next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would agree with those who say that Poland perhaps lacks a bit of focus, with their bonuses being a bit all over the place. Looking at their bonuses in general terms:
  • Lithuanian Union is largely a religious bonus
  • Golden Liberty is a general bonus
  • The Winged Hussar is a very strong military unit
  • The Sukiennice improves trade
This doesn't really point very strongly towards a singular victory path, although I enjoy the suggestions which have come up here: a combination of religion and conquest could work well for them, as could an approach based on relics and culture. Their biggest drawback might be that they lack any strong bonus towards production, science or culture, which are important and flexible yields which help you towards any victory type.

I personally don't mind, though. Not every civilization needs to have a single clear path, nor do they need to be very powerful. I think Poland is interesting and fun, with some decent abilities.

Yep, they're a fairly balanced overall civ. No over the top ability, but a fairly strong overall focus. The only flaw is that they have no direct bonuses to science or culture, although the "bonus" wildcard slot certainly means you can use that to help you in whatever is weakest. They also have the advantage in that they really don't have to change their abilities a lot to take advantage of their bonuses. Nothing wrong with enjoying a bunch of mostly passive bonuses and be pleasantly surprised when you suddenly steal some land.

I always seem to have either Conscription or Agoge active in the early game so Poland getting a Wildcard slot instead of a Military slot doesn't do much for me. Handy for getting a Great Prophet though.

Top Bottom