Civ-specific great people names

srpt

Deist
we could go civ-by-civ or have categories like Indian, Greek etc. I think though that the ones that fit into the big categories will also be the ones with most names.

please post your suggestions and I will assemble them into lists.

I will search and post as many names as I can.

First I need some definitions though..

For Scientists, we are looking for : Mathematicians, Geometers, Astronomers... anything else in this category?

For Prophets, we are looking for : Prophets obviously, Saints and Apostles for Christians, Oracles for Greco-Romans (?) what else ?

For Engineers , we are looking for : Architects I guess, and Engineers that were constructing siege weapons and fortresses during wars.. anything else?

For Merchants, we are looking for : Merchants (I doubt we will find someone similar to Marco Polo..) and Explorers.

For Artists, we are looking for : Poets, Philosophers, Historians, Play Writers, Sculptors... anything else?

Honestly for the most part the categories will be pretty obvious, and IIRC it's possible to have GP names in multiple categories without them repeating ingame.

You mean that, eg Archimedes could be a great engineer as well as a great scientist too?

Yeah, I can also confirm it works that way, if my memory serves me well
If Archimedes had born as a GE, he won't be a GS later in the game, even if he is on both lists

Alright, I found some great people names for the Hellenistic civs. In my opinion, a pool for each category should be created and then, when a great person is born, pick a name from that pool. Most of the great people of that era were either from Ptolemaic Egypt, or worked in Egypt. Also I merged the scientists with the engineers. My research was based on an encyclopedia.

Great Engineers & Great Scientists:

Spoiler :
Hero of Alexandria
Archimedes
Ctesibius
Philo of Byzantium
Claudius Ptolemy
Hipparchus of Rhodes
Diocles
Zenodorus
Menelaus of Alexandria
Diophantus
Pappus of Alexandria
Eudoxus of Cnidus
Callippus
Meton of Athens
Heraclides Ponticus
Aristarchus of Samos
Seleucus of Seleucia
Apollonius of Perga
Eratosthenes
Strabo
Herophilos
Erasistarus
Apollonius of Kition
Erasistratus
Serapion of Alexandria
Heraclides of Tarentum

Great Artists:

Spoiler :
Menander
Philemon
Apollodorus of Carystus
Posidippus
Philiscus of Corcyra
Homerus of Byzantium
Sositheus
Lycophron
Alexander Aetolus
Callimachus
Apollonius of Rhodes
Herodas
Theocritus
Bion of Smyrna
Timon of Phlius
Sotades
Machon
Cercidas
Xenophanes
Isyllus
Acleipiades of Samos
Anyte of Tegea (female)
Nossis (female)
Perses of Thebes
Leonidas of Tarentum
Antipater of Sidon
Meleager of Gadara
Philodemus
Leochares
Agesander of Rhodes
Alexandros of Antioch
Pythokritos of Lindos
Epigonus

Great Merchants:

Great Prophets:

Great Spies:

(I will fill the list soon)

Yeah, I can also confirm it works that way, if my memory serves me well
If Archimedes had born as a GE, he won't be a GS later in the game, even if he is on both lists
That's right, the game only keeps one global list where it checks off whether a name has already been used.

Do you think that historians fit in the Artist or in Scientist category?

After all, history is a science ..

Yeah, my first thought was that they should be in the Artists category, but then I saw I found much more artists than scientists :p

remember scientists are actually called "Scholars" in the mod so historians would probably be that.

Top Bottom