CiV story writing and production tips

evrett37

Prince
I've really enjoyed reading these stories and tales and want to try my hand and voice in the spotlight..but I'm totally intimidated by the production quality of some of these AARs. After all - presentation is everything! Can the masters share some tips for successful production

What software are you guys using to crop the screen shots? Is there an easy way to do that for the less technically inclined? Are you story boarding the game while playing or just taking screen shots along the way ? Should I make sacrifices to a certain muse beforehand?

I haven't done any AARs for civ yet but I'm planning on it. I'm going to use plain old ordinary ALT+Printscreen with Windows Paint to do my cropping.

A few ideas:

First off, I'm way too lazy and not detail oriented to do an ARR. I have any respect for people who will turn around and go turn by turn, but for me I'd rather focus on the big doings and big events. Everyone has their own style -- the key is to just try it and see what works for you. If people don't like your first story, that means they won't like what you write later.

Second, look at the stories you like and try and use the same format. That should help give your stories structure. ALL STORIES NEED STRUCTURE. Presentation isn't everything -- structure is. Without structure, there is no direction for forming the presentation. I'm probably just picking at semantics here, but the idea is to show what you're trying to convey both with words and pictures. Each should support the other.

Edit: also, I don't storyboard or anything. You play a game and you know when a key moment is happening or about to happen? Stop and take a screen shot. Pay attention to other stories and see the kind of events the authors you like value. That's a starting point. I work from the screenshots I took, remember what was going on at the time (although some people take notes in notepad or similar software) and write from there.

Third, if people don't reply to your story and don't give you instant feedback, that doesn't mean they aren't reading. Give it time -- keep writing. Some people just want to see how your game progresses before jumping in. Remember: people who get large followings and tons of subscribed posts started just like you and me -- as someone with 0 or 1 stories on the forum and not a big history of contribution. It takes time to build up the kind of reputation that gets everyone chiming in.

As for picture software? I ran into that problem because I'm (barely) playing this game on a 2008 Macbook Pro. That means I have to play in windows via bootcamp. That also means that I don't have the benefit of using "print screen." I'll reply again to tell you what screen capture software I use instead, as it's good and free, but I can't remember the name of it right now and my computer doesn't get internet in windows while at school. However, when I'm in mac mode, I can pull the screens I took from my windows partition and use a nice program called "Grab" that lets make new image files of selections from other images (or windows etc).

Upload to imageshack --> profit. I'll post again with the name of the software I use in windows though.

From the AARs I've seen, people take a lot of time describing the beginnings of their game, the first civs they meet, the resources they find, what their individual units are doing, etc. Then, as the game wears on, they move on to just describing how their overall empire is doing, their conquests and expansions, general overviews of their wars, and important technological advancements.

So move from the specific to the broad as your empire gets too big to take note of everything going on.

Also, this might be personal preference, but I tend to stop reading/caring about AARs that just tell me things blandly like "I moved my scout and he found some corn." I want some storytelling!

Also, this might be personal preference, but I tend to stop reading/caring about AARs that just tell me things blandly like "I moved my scout and he found some corn." I want some storytelling!

Quoted for truth. Never lose sight of the fact that you're telling a story, not recounting a series of events.

Top Bottom