1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ trait explanations?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by lumpthing, Apr 8, 2009.

1. lumpthing

lumpthing generic lump

I'm looking forward to starting my first game of FFH2, after a year or two's break. I'm just trying to choose my civ, but am stumped by the "civ traits": "Sprawling, Fallow, Dexterous, Guardsman, Sinister, Sundered and Horselord". Seems to be a key part of what a civ's characteristics, but I can't find any explanation of what each one actually does.

2. Corlis

Corlis Warlord

So far as I can remember...

Sprawling: This trait is automatically given to all leaders of the Kuriotates. It lets them have a few megacities that can work the third ring around the cities, but also prevents all their other cities from producing anything at all. It also gives +3:) in all cities.
    Fallow: This trait is automatically given to all leaders of the Infernal. It means that they can't grow their cities through having food; instead they have to use Manes to add to their cities' populations.
    Dextrous: This trait is automatically given to all leaders of the Ljosalfar. It gives their archers the Dextrous promotion, which gives them +1 attack strength.
    Guardsman: This trait is automatically given to all leaders of the Bannor. It gives their melee and archery units the Guardsman promotion, which forces Assasin units to attack them rather than the weakest units in the stack.
    Sinister: This trait is automatically given to all leaders of the Svartalfar. It gives their recon units the Sinister promotion, which gives them +1 attack strength.
    Sundered: This trait is automatically given to all leaders of the Sheaim. It gives their arcane units the Sundered promotion, which in turn gives all their summoned units the Stigmata promotion; this gives them a strength bonus equal to half the armageddon counter (e.g., 20 AC = +10% strength).
    Horselord: This trait is automatically given to all leaders of the Hippus. It gives their mounted units the Horselord promotion, which gives them +1 movement and +10% withdrawal chance.

3. lumpthing

lumpthing generic lump

Great! Thanks very much

4. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Tolerant: This trait is given to all leaders of the Elohim, it allows them to use other races' unique buildings and units (in conquered cities of appropriate race only).

5. Imuratep

Imuratep Cultist of the Old Ones

6. someone67

someone67 Warlord

No, Tolerant is a leader trait that all leaders of the Elohim have.

7. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Care to explain the difference here?

8. Guale

Guale Warlord

A leader trait belongs to that leader and in an unrestricted leader game they will keep it no matter what civ they lead. A civ trait is given to all leaders who lead the civ, even those who would not normally lead this civ.

9. lumpthing

lumpthing generic lump

Thanks for recommending the manual Deon; it explains everything.

10. Tielby

Tielby Prince

Thank you. I was wondering the same thing and your explanation is very clear.

11. apotheoser

apotheoser Prince

Oh, wow. I never thought of that actually.

12. Fenboy

Fenboy King

And here I was, thinking it was just someone being contrary for the sake of it..maybe I've been hanging round giantitp.com's forums too much... :lol:

13. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

I told the same. It's trait given to all elohim leaders, and this means if these elohim leaders lead another nation they still have it. He fixed nothing.

14. apotheoser

apotheoser Prince

No. If someone else leads the Elohim, they won't have it. So you can be a leader of the Elohim who doesn't have it.

15. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

I didn't say about someone else, I told about currently implemented leaders of the Elohim. And both of them have this trait. I don't get why can't you get it :).

Do you even care to read?
    I wrote
    I don't mean to offend you, but put your glasses on :).

16. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Isn't playing with unrestricted leaders a bad idea? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it causes problems, or at least balance issues.

17. zup

zup Emperor

It certainly causes balance issues. Try playing Varn Gosam for Sidar.

18. Luckmann

Luckmann Esusian Epicure

That would be wrong is so many, many, many different ways. :p

19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

20. Charlie_B

Charlie_B Warlord

If you're going to be a pedant, why were you posting about leader traits when OP clearly asked about civ traits? It's perfectly reasonable for someone to assume you were getting the two mixed up even if you didn't explicitly say so. Your post wasn't wrong, and I'm sure you were trying to be helpful, but it was confusing.