Status
Not open for further replies.
America - Founding Fathers: 7
Australia - Land Down Under: 21
Aztec - Legend of the Five Suns: 26
Brazil - Amazon: 10
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 17
Cree - Nihithaw: 9
Egypt - Iteru: 18 (21-3) Only +15% production to districts and wonders feels so insignificant, and then you also have to use up valuable river tiles which for Egypt will typically be important floodplain tiles which will be your only food source in desert cities. Flood immunity is nice, but it isn't enough to make this ability feel fun and impactful for me.
England - Workshop of the World: 14 (13+1) Having +4 yields to all powered buildings is not an insignificant bonus, it's like having 9 unique buildings, with those buildings also being buffed in the recent patch. Then of course those other "insignificant" bonuses synergize fairly well together, making those smaller bonuses combine into a very significant bonus overall.
Germany - Free Imperial Cities: 19
Greece - Plato's Republic: 26
Hungary - Pearl of the Danube: 12
Inca - Mit'a: 20
Japan - Meiji Restoration: 20
Kongo - Nkisi: 25
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 9
Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 21
Maori - Mana: 25
Mongolia - Ortoo: 20
Netherlands - Grote Riverien: 23
Nubia - Ta-Seti: 15
The Ottomans - Great Turkish Bombard: 18
Poland - Golden Liberty: 12 (15 - 3).
Rome - All Roads Lead To Rome: 23
Russia - Mother Russia : 25
Scotland - Scottish Enlightenment: 25
Scythia - People of the Steppe: 21
Sumeria - Epic Quest: 22
Sweden - Nobel Prize: 21
Zulu - Isibongo: 22

I am voting "early" so I can move my voting time to the morning. I missed a vote last week because I was voting in the afternoon. I hope this is ok. I won't vote until tomorrow morning again. If its not please delete this post and i'll just miss another day to get me on the right time frame for my schedule.

America - Founding Fathers: 7
Egypt - Iteru: 18
England - Workshop of the World: 14
Hungary - Pearl of the Danube: 9 (12-3) I love builder abilities like this but the honest truth is this one is harder to leverage in a meaningful way since the changes to IZ. I'm always building those to get the massive production boosts of the Coal Plant and while this could help me get there quicker I just find my tiles next to the city center aren't suited well for many district placement needs. Also sometimes I will place cities 1 tile away from rivers so I can build a IZ combo with a dam and a aqueduct and another city.
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 10 (9+1) So many of the eureka's you get for free require building things that distract you from domination. Not so with this ability. What a powerhouse!
Poland - Golden Liberty: 12

America - Founding Fathers: 8 = 7 + 1 Wildcard is so strong.
Hungary - Pearl of the Danube: 9
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 7 = 10 - 3 I may not change any minds but I'm okay with that based on the thread trends. Conquering cities is its own reward and the avenue to any victory you want. This ability is still random, uninteresting, and a win-more. What does it matter if you boost Telecoms when you haven't yet researched Gunpowder? Campus-less victory? You conquer or build campuses to trigger these Eurekas. They don't help you conquer. The two UUs and the endless generals do.

America - Founding Fathers: 8
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 8 = 7 + 1. I don't know what to say that I haven't already said. :dunno:
Sumeria - Epic Quest: 19 = 22 - 3. Getting goody huts from barb camps is nice but barb camps become increasing rare as the game goes on until eventually all that is left are barbarian invested snow tiles which would take a lot of effort to get to and clear out. Levying city-states is such a risky thing to do given that the AI likes to flip them when at war. It's usually only safe to do that as Hungary.

America - Founding Fathers: 5 (8-3) I agree that this seems weak compared to others on here.
Brazil - Amazon: 11 (10+1) So what if he took the Sacred Path pantheon in the screenshots he provided? If you were Brazil, why wouldn't you take sacred path? This seems pretty good to me, and that's not even mentioning the fact that (as always) people are completing ignoring what the increased appeal can do for you. Bonus points if you can spend all that faith to purchase Janaki Ammal. It may not be the best, but I don't think it should be going out just yet.
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 8 When handfuls of people are voting something up only to be thwarted by one person constantly voting it down, I think it's clear what the most underrated ability is going to end up being...
Poland - Golden Liberty: 12 Not voting for this (this time), but I did want to point out that this doesn't necessarily point Poland towards domination as someone claimed... use those culture bombs to instantly convert your neighbors and play an easy religious game!
Sumeria - Epic Quest: 19

America - Founding Fathers: 5 (8-3=5) Losing a diplo card slot for a wild is a nice trade, but still you’re losing something to get it. The favour bonus is also marginal.
Japan - Meiji Restoration: 21 (20+1=21) A very powerful ability and makes Japan a competitor.
Macedon - 8
Sumeria -19

America - Founding Fathers: 2
Brazil - Amazon: 11
Cree - Nihithaw: 9-3=6 - One early trader won't give you that much, and you cannot plan on the routes, only pick destinations, which gives you little control over which extra tiles you gain, and trade routes take long to be completed (unless war or barbarians happen, but that's not a way I like to play by), giving you new land slowly. As I said with Mapuche, I like abilities over which I have 100% control.
Hungary - Pearl of the Danube: 9+1=10 - Here I am, after a slight break to upvote Nkisi, returning to bouncing between this and Amazon. A nice bonus useful through the entire game (first districts, new cities and new buildings, spaceports), and it's easy to gain, too. It makes Hungary versatile, and I like that. I don't think it's its time to go yet.
Japan - Meiji Restoration: 21
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 8

Brazil - Amazon: 11
Cree - Nihithaw: 6
Hungary - Pearl of the Danube: 11 (10+1) I think the real standout bonus here is the production bonus for buildings, rather than just the bonus for districts (which are more common).
Inca - Mit'a: 17 (20-3) I think this bonus is fun and thematic, but honestly quite weak in terms of strength.
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 8

Brazil - Amazon: 11 + 1 = 12 (I still think that the adjacency bonuses from this ability are fantastic for every win condition. You'll get tons of Science by leaving the rain forest tiles in place because of this ability stacked with the normal minor adjacency bonus that Campuses have, plus even more if you later build Zoos. You'll get tons of Faith and Culture, too. Who else can get so many early +3 Theater Squares?)
Cree - Nihithaw: 6
Hungary - Pearl of the Danube: 11
Inca - Mit'a: 17
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 8 - 3 = 5 (The idea that only one person is voting this down is silly. If you look over the thread, you'll find that numerous people have voted it down and I, at least, don't always vote against it. In any case, the screen captures that were provided as evidence of this ability's greatness actually do just the opposite. The player already had far more Science and Culture that anyone else and most of the Eurekas were for late-game eras that won't matter, anyway. The idea that this ability lets you skip building stuff and focus only on domination also works against it. What fun is missing half the game?)

Brazil - Amazon: 12
Cree - Nihithaw: 3=6-3 -Getting tiles for free is great, but this ability is very restricted by city placement and ideal trade routes.
Hungary - Pearl of the Danube
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 5
Maori - Mana: 26=25+1 Despite having a couple drawbacks, this ability is such a powerhouse that also changes how you play. Exploration is king in the early game and no one does it as well as the Maori. Additionally, getting access to that early production is crucial to kickstarting your game plan.

America - Founding Fathers: ELIMINATED (2 - 3) Probably the weakest ability left. A bit of extra flexibility with policies and a bit of diplomatic favor. It's not really game changing.
Cree - Nihithaw: 3
Hungary - Pearl of the Danube
Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 22 (21 + 1) This ability has three qualities that I like: 1. It makes me play and examine the map differently. 2. It fits a unique theme. 3. It gives some amazing early game bonuses.
Maori - Mana: 26

First of all, @Kwami, that are NOT numerous people voting against Macedon, but TWO, you and lotrmith, even though numerous people gave proofs and calculation how strong it is. You both gave in total nearly -40 points to Macedon, and somehow Macedon is still alive, painful, isn't it?. Out of 7 votes, you voted 5 times against Macedon. Lotrmith gave -21 voting against each time. Beside you two I found one single vote against. ONE!

Just to remind the idea of the thread - we try to eliminate the weakest and spreading votes around different abilities is adviced in rules. I don't know if mod intervention is required, is it voting or trolling.

Moderator Action: "Advice" in the OP about how to vote is not binding on any posters. All that we require is that there be no "naked" voting -- all votes must be accompanied by a stated rationale, with which others are free to disagree, when it is their turn to vote. That said, site rules requiring civility when posting still apply, so please be careful and respectful (more respectful than this post) when posting. Also, accusing others of trolling is itself trolling under our rules. -- Browd

reply to mod action. I don't know, what was so disrespectful. Counting previous votes? Probably not. Noticing that this kind of voting is against the idea of the thread, though maybe not against the rules?

Moderator Action: Please do not reply in thread. If you have a question or comment for a moderator, please start a conversation and discuss it that way. This is Public Discussion of Moderator Actions (PDMA) which is against the forum rules. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Hungary - Pearl of the Danube 12 (11+1) too early for it to be eliminated. Bonus to districts is huge, allows crazy quick construction of districts (and buildings) early game, when it is more important. Add pantheon +25% to first districts and it becomes insane. Some votes against was bacuse it requires river. Holy duck, it is Hungary, river is guaranteed as start bias!
Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 22
Sweden - Nobel Prize: 18 (21-3) High difficulties mean you rarely get great person early game, so diplomatic favor trade is basically turned off. in terms of it it is weaker than American abiity just eiminated - American ability guarantees more dipfavor for trade early game. +1 points for engineer come late and running projects is better to get it, scintist points come earlier with universities, but at this stage base great people generation is high enough, so no need for this bonus. Generally weak ability you don't even notice and not change a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 14 (17 - 3)
This ability is too specific for me. It is useful against early aggressive neighbor AI at higher difficulty that don't know the "Denunciation" button, so it is useless for 90% of the players. Also, even if Diplomatic Favor is too much valuable for the AI (1 DP = 15 Gold = 1GPT?!), that ability is rather weak as DP generation, and start to become decent in the late game only.
I guess this opinion is unfair: I downvote this because the main advantage are going to disappear once the AI will get better. Furthermore: not being able to capture City-State is rather an handicap. I do find some strength on it, so I will not downvote more (and because it is clearly said to spread out our vote!)

Hungary - Pearl of the Danube 12
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 6 (5 + 1) Even if I don't really appreciate the most the Domination play, I must admit this ability is pretty strong. It is like playing Sumeria but, instead chasing Barbarian Outposts that tend to become rare in the medieval era. Here I can have up to 2 Eureka! and 2 Inspiration per city. Maybe I underestimate the Sumeria ability (in this case: sorry), but no way Macedon's ability is leaving first!
Sweden - Nobel Prize: 18 (21-3)

New
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 14
Kongo - Nkisi: 26 (25+1) This is a top tier ability. I have a feeling I'll be upvoting it more later when there are fewer options.
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 6
Sweden - Nobel Prize: 15 (18-3) I mean, it's good for your opponents when they beat you to the rewards. Not so much for Sweden. The rest of this is super low impact.

Germany - Free Imperial Cities: 20 (19+1) This allows for a lot of flexibility, and I love flexibility, apart from that more districts = more great people. Build the Oracle and be happy.
Kongo - Nkisi: 26
Poland - Golden Liberty: 9 (12-3) How I can say... the converted military policy slot into wildcard policy slot is good, but I rarely build encampments and forts even if I'm going for domination. Half of this ability is good while the other half is unhelpful most of the times.
Sweden - Nobel Prize: 15

Germany - Free Imperial Cities: 17 = 20 - 3. I agree it is good flexibility, but they are only giving you the extra slot because one of your districts requires another district to be good. so you are locked into building 2 districts. It's just making up for the fact that the game nearly forces you to build 2 districts assuming you want to take advantage of your unique district. And why wouldn't you.
Greece - Plato's Republic: 27 = 26 + 1 Powerful early on, and nothing is preventing you from building Forbidden Palace on top of this. I struggle as is with having enough slots to put all the policies I want, this largely solves that problem.
Kongo - Nkisi: 26
Poland - Golden Liberty: 9

I figure I should get my vote in today, later than usual (I usually vote in morning)

Cree - Nihithaw: Eliminated (3-3) In theory great, in practice barely usable . This ability should help you quickly get lots of tiles but requires you to have plenty of trade roads in various directions. Sadly, players cant control the exact direction of the trader. Most of the time it will use the exact same path and in the end you will get about 4-8 free tiles. It's not terrible but when compared to things like mother russia... it's quite pitiful
Germany - Free Imperial Cities: 17
Kongo - Nkisi: 27 (26+1) This ability is so good, they had to give the congolese a disadvantageous LA. That's telling how powerful it is. +50% GWAM points is already very good. This ability also improves the buffs from some of the great works and gives +4 slots for great works in the same city which enables them to be collectivly buffed by St Basil Cathedral. Would be madness in other leaders' hands.

Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 6 Wont downvote this as I think there are worse abilities in this list but I quite agree with the downvoters. For this ability to matter, you need to conquer almost an entire civ. And if you actually manage to do so, the game is pretty much guaranteed to be your victory. (with or without this ability)
Either there's lots of lands available and you can get cheap settlers to expand or it's a small map and you ve got the biggest territory. Either way, you ve won simply because wide is better.
If the war resulted in barely one conquest, this ability will be negligible... An "efficient" snowballing ability would be Isibongo of the Zulu instead.

Australia - Land Down Under: 22 (21+1) Fantastic adjacency bonuses gained pretty easily - you'll get some wacko science super early in the game if you start next to a few mountains. Theatre Squares also benefit, and they're usually hard to get adjacency bonuses for, particularly early on. And Culture Bombing is always fun, even if you don't get too many good opportunities for them here... but you could remove that part of the ability and Australia's ability would still be great.
Egypt - Iteru: 15 (18-3) I always prefer to use floodplains as locations for farms, so I find no use from being able to place districts/wonders on them except in very rare cases where it's the only available spot for a certain wonder. And the +15% production to districts isn't very noticeable. It just seems pretty weak.
Greece - Plato's Republic: 27
Kongo - Nkisi: 27
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 6 I'm a little torn on Hellenistic Fusion, because on one hand, it helps snowball and allows you to work through the techs/civics without having to take a break from your crazy conquer-everything-you-see thing, but on the other hand, it makes Macedon PURELY a conquer-everything-you-see civ, and even though you're playing Macedon specifically so you can play that way, I don't think it's quite as fun as being able to play the same civ in a different way and focusing on different aspects of the civ you're using (say, playing Hungary and being a big ol' warmonger using levied armies across the globe in one game, and then in the next game, playing more diplomatically and making allies and using Huszars to pick on other civs your allies don't like.)

Also, I think it ruins the fun a little bit when the same person/few people downvote the same thing over and over every time they vote, but really, it's not against the elimination thread's rules (though it definitely suggests that you spread out your votes) and if that's truly all they want to downvote then it's whatever.

Australia - Land Down Under: 22
Egypt - Iteru: 15
Greece - Plato's Republic: 27
Japan - Meiji Restoration: 22 = 21+1 - strong and allows fun district placement and empire management.
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 3 = 6-3 - i haven't really followed the discussion about this ability, but on a personal level i really don't find it neither good nor interesting. First of you usually start conquering early (especially with the UU that are early game), so the likelyhood of having multiple districts in conquered cities is low. Secondly, obviously, you can't decide eurekas and inspirations, so you might boost stuff that are useless or already on track. Eventually, in the late game, you have probably already a lot of science / culture if you have started conquering early and more boosts are definitely not game-changing. I finally do not like warmongering that much, so really not motivated by that.

I won't be downvoting Macedon for now. I've considered it: I normally play on large maps and on those Hellenistic Fusion simply isn't that strong; domination isn't as viable as culture/scientific/dip on large or above, because civs spawn further apart and loyalty pressure becomes a huge issue. Only Sumeria, Ottomans and Persia can reliably pull off early domination because the war cart has the speed needed to quickly capture the AI cities before they flip back, or the Civ in question has easy built-in Loyalty boosts. Macedon's UUs do help but mostly on smaller maps.

This is just to explain why I don't think Hellenistic Fusion wasn't all that great in the games I've played. Its strength relies very heavily on map size. But that warrants its own discussion in the proper forum. In the meantime:

Australia - Land Down Under: 22
Egypt - Iteru: 15
Greece - Plato's Republic: 24 (27-3) The last time we played this game I downvoted Greece a lot for one big reason. Plato's Republic is boring. Jesus what a dull ability. And yes, it's versatile and it's good yadda yadda but it is not as good as you think it is from the midgame onwards. Surely we have several abilities which that can trump a free policy card by now, right? There's no need for Greece to be in the lead at this stage of the game, or at any stage if I'm honest.
Japan - Meiji Restoration: 22
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 3
Netherlands - Grote Riveren: 24 (23 +1). This ability is pretty crazy now. Like, it is insane how much production the Dutch can have from riverside Industrial Zones, especially with an adjacent aqueduct or Dam. Their production often rivals that of Germany, especially on favourable map templates such as Seven Seas and Small Continents. But there is more! The Dutch also get better Campuses and Theatre Squares on top of that! This Civ is only slightly worse at SciVic than Scotland is, while also being flexible enough to transition into CultVic or even DomVic should it be required, which is something Scotland cannot do. An excellent ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.