Civ Unique Ability Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia - Land Down Under: 22
Aztec - Legend of the Five Suns: 26
Brazil - Amazon: 12
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 11 = 14-3. The only reason this ability is here is that there are players who like playing passively and this allows them to completely ignore building an army to defend themselves. When your tourism is high enough so that the resulting diplomatic favor is meaningful, you probably either won a cultural victory or are extremely close to it. Since Canada has no bonus to amass Great Work, to earn the first 100 Tourism for this to kick in takes sooooo long.
Egypt - Iteru: 15
England - Workshop of the World: 14
Germany - Free Imperial Cities: 17
Greece - Plato's Republic: 24
Hungary - Pearl of the Danube 12
Inca - Mit'a: 20
Japan - Meiji Restoration: 22
Kongo - Nkisi: 27
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 3
Maori - Mana: 26
Mongolia - Ortoo: 20
Netherlands - Grote Riveren: 24
Nubia - Ta-Seti: 15
The Ottomans - Great Turkish Bombard: 18
Poland - Golden Liberty: 9
Rome - All Roads Lead To Rome: 23
Russia - Mother Russia : 25
Scotland - Scottish Enlightenment: 26 = 25+1 Scotland has 3 useless bonuses and then this extremely powerful one that actually makes them playable
Scythia - People of the Steppe: 21
Sumeria - Epic Quest: 19
Sweden - Nobel Prize: 15
Zulu - Isibongo: 22

Australia - Land Down Under: 22
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 11-3=8 Oh, you can forgo military in the early game because no wars from the AI? Barbs say hello. Sounds really counter-intuitive, because the optimal thing to do is build military early on, even as peacemonger. Sweden's and America's Diplomatic Favor bonuses are outright stronger.
Egypt - Iteru: 15
Scotland - Scottish Enlightenment: 26
Sweden - Nobel Prize: 15+1=16 This ability lets you generate so much Diplomatic Favor with the Oracle and Pingala with the corresponding promotion (and maybe Divine Spark pantheon), it's bonkers, even on Deity. And you are able to leech AI gold with it like there's no tomorrow while retaining enough of it for you to be a power in the Congress. Bonus competetions and GPP are the icing on the cake. I honestly hope that AI DP overvaluation gets nerfed in the next patch.

Australia - Land Down Under: 23 (22+1) my favourite adjacency bonus giver...
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 8
Egypt - Iteru: 12 (15-3) Hungary has a stronger district placement ability and is currently lower... In practice you often won't have the right adjacencies to make use of districts for this one and wonders should be selectively built anyway...
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 3 Wow, this is really being hit hard. Played another macedon game as this thread inspired me to... Those eurekas really add up...
Sweden - Nobel Prize: 16

Australia - Land Down Under: 23
Egypt - Iteru: 12
Inca - Mit'a: 20+1 = 21. I finally had the chance to learn about the power of the Inca in the recent GotM and I must say that I was impressed. I could not care less about the ability to work mountain tiles but terrace farms provide absolutely insane yields.
Poland - Golden Liberty: 9-3 = 6. While the military to wildcard slot is absolutely okay, I really do not feel the power of the culture bomb ability. If you go domination, you will never have to culture bomb, if you don't, then you won't really need Encampments / Forts (except for Eurekas), therefore you will have to waste vast resources for a few tiles that will make your neighbor angry as well.

Australia - Land Down Under: 24 (23 +1) Aussie campus adjacency blows away those mediocre seowons of the most mediocre civ Korea.
Egypt - Iteru: 12
Inca - Mit'a 21.
Kongo - Nkisi: 24 (27-3) I want Kandy, but being Suzerain of it or it even being in the game is not a certainty. The bonus seems nice, but when you get down to brass tacks it provides far less than other abilities.
Poland - Golden Liberty: 6.

To clear the record, before today's votes, I've voted against Macedon's ability 5/7 times, not 100%. And I've only voted for Brazil 2/7 times, again not close to 100%. In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I've never voted for or against the same ability more than twice in a row. So, I'm not voting against Macedon today. I still think that it's a very weak ability that doesn't do much of anything unless you've already won the game, though.

Anyway, let's not make any of this personal. Threats of moderator intervention or revenge or whatever are just silly. This thread is supposed to be fun. If you aren't having fun, then maybe this isn't the thread for you.

Australia - Land Down Under: 24
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 8 - 3 = 5 (Being immune to surprise wars is nice, but it's also boring. Not being able to declare surprise wars or wars against city states is also boring. The Diplomatic Favor gained from this ability is incredibly weak, too. Eh.)
Egypt - Iteru: 12 + 1 = 13 (I'm somewhat surprised to see this one so low. Perhaps people remember the pre-patch ability? Being immune to floods is quite a nice ability. You can put districts all along the rivers without worry and that lets you build up nice clusters for adjacency bonuses. And the districts are usually cheaper to build, too!)
Inca - Mit'a: 21
Kongo - Nkisi: 24
Poland - Golden Liberty: 6

Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 5
Egypt - Iteru: 13
Macedon - Hellenistic Fusion: 0 (3-3) Eliminated. Just for the Coup du gras. Rules of these games should not allow repeated downvotes until there are 10 or less abilities left.
Poland - Golden Liberty: 7 (6+1) With all the talk of abilities not coming into play until the game is won this ability is one that matters from the first civic researched. The ability to slot any card from turn 10 on or so is quite flexible and powerful.

(EDIT: Readded Mali to the list, per DWilson's post below.)

Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 5
Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 22
Maori - Mana: 27 (26+1). Fun civ with an interesting set of bonuses and a unique style of play. The added production to woods and rainforests is useful in the long run too.
Poland - Golden Liberty: 7
Sumeria - Epic Quest: 16 (19-3). Personally, I don't levy CS units often, and tribal village rewards are too hit-or-miss and limited to the early game for my liking.

Last edited:

They were dropped late on the last page.

Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 6 = 5 + 1 Torn between helping this or Poland. Poland's wildcard is super strong and combines with a very fun Fort culture bomb, but Canada's war mechanics really define the Civ.
Maori - Mana: 27
Scotland - Scottish Enlightenment: 23 = 26 - 3 While the bonus is nice, to me it's boring and doesn't help build a real identity to the Scott civ. Plus I've never found managing amenities to be a fun or engaging layer of the game. Religion, Loyalty, even Housing all seem like better mechanics than Amenities.
Sumeria - Epic Quest: 16

Australia - Land Down Under: 25 (24 + 1) Campuses and Holy Sites next to Mountain clusters are just silly. Housing and Culture Bombs are also nice addons.
Brazil - Amazon: 9 (12 - 3) I'd like to say I keep the Rainforest around for the adjacency bonus, now that lumbermills can be built on them. But I find it more convienient just to chop 'em.
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 6
Scotland - Scottish Enlightenment: 23

Australia - Land Down Under: 25
Brazil - Amazon: 10 = 9 + 1 Honestly I feel like this adjacency bonus is better than Australia's. I didn't always believe that way until one of my games with them last year. My cities can usually be positioned in such a way I can get sufficient food and production, and still have a 7 tile clump of rainforest I keep intact for the district of my choice (depending on if I go for science, culture, or religion). I can usually do this in at least 2 cities which is a huge boost. And my other cities usually have a pretty good boost as well (just not the +6 of the 2 cities) Somewhat map dependent, but so is Australia's and Netherlands adjacency bonuses.
Germany - Free Imperial Cities: 14 = 17 - 3. Again I just feel this "bonus" is making up for the malus in your unique district being dependent upon another district.

Brazil - Amazon: 10
Germany - Free Imperial Cities: 15 (14+1) Remember the rules are to disregard other uniques, so the Hansa requiring additional districts is a problem with the Hansa, not Germany. Without the Hansa, Germany simply gets an extra district for their population, which is pretty strong if you are building them frequently.
Rome - All Roads Lead To Rome: 20 (23-3) In my experience, roads and trading posts are not incredibly important. While excellent thematically, it's one of the most mild bonuses remaining.

Some parting thoughts on Macedon. The fact that it made it this far given that it was getting downvoted from the very first page is a testament what the majority of people think of it. Part of me is glad it is gone since now I can actually upvote something else. However I still believe it was eliminated way too early and is quite clearly better than a lot of abilities still on the list. Oh well. That's life.

Germany - Free Imperial Cities: 15
Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 19 = 22 - 3. The production malus is super painful early in the game. You can't expand or build an early military as fast which usually ends up with you being boxed in with little territory or someone declares war on you but you can't defend and lose a city or two. The positives from this ability are situational or force you into a particular playstyle.
Nubia - Ta-Seti: 16 = 15 + 1. It's interesting to me that so many like the Pitati Archer so much but this is relatively low. Half of the Pitati's power comes from this! Being able to spam out a bunch of Pitatis (or any other ranged unit) is quite good. Getting faster promos on your ranged units makes them rather dangerous. You also get a bit of extra gold or production from mines on resources as well. What's not to like?
Rome - All Roads Lead To Rome: 20

Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 20 (19 + 1). Time to tackle the desert civs, East Vs. West Sahara. The negatives do sting, won't disagree. However, Mali gets bonus points just for the sheer difference in the way the game plays with them! Free faith? First pantheon. +4 gold per mine? Lots, lost of gold!
It doesn't even need to be a specific mine. While other early-game powerhouses (e.g. Sumeria) tend to have their bonuses diminish/disappear by mid-game, Mali's boost only gets better and better. Even the -1 becomes a non-issue.
Oh, and did I mention you can use one of its abilities (free faith) to boost another ability (Commercial Hub buildings) which gives even more money and trade routes for MORE money?!

Nubia - Ta-Seti: 13 (16 - 3) @BenitoChavez I swear this is a coincidence! I really like Ta-Seti. Just think it is a little... overrated compared to what is left. Yes, it helps you get the Pitati up and running. After that, at around Field Cannons, range units become slow and their impact almost entirely negligible. That's half the ability gone. The other one is quite good; unfortunately, at around Field Cannons too the impact of one extra production for specifically strategic resources and 2 gold for specifically bonus/luxury MINES also diminishes.

Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 7 (6+1) Throwing an upvote because while it's not the best here, there are definitely many still here that are worse. It makes you effectively immune to early war. Some have said you still have to worry about Barbs, but so does anyone else who doesn't have this ability. Not having to worry about war with your neighbors isn't just about the defensive aspects, it also means you can scout their lands and move settlers and workers near them without worrying. Also, it can let you do really underhanded things like waiting for a neighbour to go after someone else, and then declaring formal war on them and swooping in with horsemen.
Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 20
Nubia - Ta-Seti: 13
Poland - Golden Liberty: 4 (7-3) Culture bombing is very situational. Its only really worth while if you've got Crusade and that's depended on getting your religion up fast enough. Exchanging a military card slot for a wildcard is a nice way to help you get your religion up, but you still going to need to sink resources into holy sites. Also you are probably using military policies as Poland anyway.

Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 4 (7-3) The only ability left, which disables something. No surprise wars (you see that moment neighbouring settler wandering around?), no wars on city states.
Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 20
Poland - Golden Liberty: 5 (4+1) This ability is the best of Polish set. Early wild card anbles various strategies, including very early religion guaranteed on deity. Border conversion may be useful for crusade, though I never used it for this purpose. But the only culture bomb you can use anywhere and anywhen is worth upvoting (stealing late era resources? no problem). Other culture bombs require specific resource or world congress, this one is always usable. Too soon for Poland to be eliminated.

EDIT: Someone voted in the meantime. Coincidence - the same abilities, but opposite way :D

Australia - Land Down Under: 26 (25+1) This adjacency bonus is not only pretty strong, it also makes you play in a different way.
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 4
Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 17 (20-3) I wanted to like this ability, but after playing the recent Mali GotM map, I was underwhelmed. It is amazing for religious play, and having a ton of money allows you to quickly get units, but it really puts a damper on district building and almost rules out competing for wonders. Too limiting.
Poland - Golden Liberty: 5

Australia - Land Down Under: 26
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 4
Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 17
Poland - Golden Liberty: 6 (5+1) I think y'all are sleeping on the fort culture bombs. In any other game I would never build forts, but if they let me capture resources straight out of my opponents hands (AND convert them to my religion as Jadwiga) I'll make an easy exception.
Rome - All Roads Lead To Rome: 17 (20-3) Looking at the list, I can't say I'm all that impressed with this one. I guess the roads are nice but they're going to get built fairly quickly anyways.

Australia - Land Down Under: 26
Canada - Four Faces of Peace: 1 (4 - 3) The significant part of this is the surprise war immunity, which is nice, but not that powerful compared to other abilities on the list.
Mali - Songs of the Jeli: 17
Maori - Mana: 28 (27 +1) Continuing down the list of abilities I am especially fond of, here is probably the most radically game-changing ability of all, and it's pretty darn great. The Maori have completely usurped Norway's position as early ocean explorers, they have some pretty good yield bonuses, and a pretty good culture bomb.
Poland - Golden Liberty: 6
Rome - All Roads Lead To Rome: 17