1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V Cracked Already

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Woobi, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPlain

MPlain Chieftain

2. RRtexasranger

RRtexasranger Warlord

That really isn't true. There has been a scene release for it recently, and just like all of the other scene releases, it works nearly flawlessly.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Civ5 didn't have any extreme measures, it had the same protection as every steamworks title, and was cracked using the method as previous steamworks titles.

Protection was generally in place to prevent pre-release cracks, which it did.

4. Metal God

Metal God Chieftain

Unfortunately, that's not the case here. I've a friend who downloaded the cracked version and it updated the 1.0.0.17 patch automatically and he's still able to play it without any problems.

5. cr0ws

cr0ws Prince

one of them! Get him!

6. jihe

jihe Prince

I like to see games fight piracy by sheer size. Let's see them pirate 1Tb of data!

7. aryah

aryah Chieftain

basically its very simple, anyone who wants the game will get it. Whether they choose to pay or not will be entirely their discretion.

So, publishers are effectively living off donations. Unsurprisingly they dislike it.

But its wise of them to at least act nice to their donors. Steam is among the least worst of protections, however annoying I find it, so kudos Firaxis, they'll likely get my money for it with only small regrets about supporting a DRM system. I do wish they removed it though, if the intended purpose - preventing a pre-release crack - has as many claim expired.

8. cr0ws

cr0ws Prince

That would be pointless....Imagine you having to install and uninstall every game you play because your drive is unable to hold 2 TB of data...and how about those that have 200 GB Hard drives?!?!? And think how long it would take to install a 1 TB game? STOOOPEEEEEED!

9. Metal God

Metal God Chieftain

By making a game of that size you would be damaging the honest customers as well

10. TLF

TLF Prince

I wonder how much the "success" of not being cracked until a few days after release affects the companies financial bottom line.

Are they really expecting to make that many sales in just the 1st few days?
    I suppose this was part of the reason for whipping up a frenzy of pre-orders.

But if they only make a small percentage of their total profits in the 1st few days then all of this copy protection that hurts the paying customer is fairly silly in it's uselessness.

There I games I never bought that I wanted to buy simply because the copy protection was so terrible.

I haven't decided whether or not to to buy Civ 5 yet and part of the reason is Steam.

11. TLF

TLF Prince

It

would depend on what was needed to crack the game.

A little shack or a huge mansion still just has that 1 door or window that needs to be gotten through.

12. Earende

Earende Chieftain

Steam for protection? No, no... going with the Steam path is a sign for future anti-mod games and overpriced DLCs, any other reasons given are rubbish. Now, I dislike Steam, but only because I'm terribly frightened with companies that go that way; look at Total War. :p People somehow believe that pirates will buy the game if it can't be crack, how wrong that thought is. No, they'll just play another game. Why'd you think they pirate in the first place?

Also, it's always within a week or so for a game to be cracked (and multiplayer evenutally, if it's popular enough) and lots of times, the cracked version works better. I would know; where I live, I'm the only idiot who had gone legit and I suffered (still suffer) for it. Now, I do not promote piracy, but these are the sad facts. :sad:

13. wilmer007

wilmer007 Chieftain

i remember a developer once said he would rather his game be pirated than to use DRM. that was epic. he probably got pirates support and would be pirates actually bought his game rather than pirate it. Smart Man!:goodjob:

14. gunter

gunter King

A game must be independent from everything, Steam , internet etc...

Steam may be used to buy the game but after that nothing has to exist between the game and the player, above all M$ or Steam.

15. Crowqueen

Crowqueen Token forum woman

Which is interesting, because you are still using Windows to run it.

16. mattcrwi

mattcrwi Warlord

It is not Sid's, 2K's or Fraxis' fault that people pirate their game and therefore have deterrents applied. Blame pirates for DRM, not sid.

17. Nutteria

Nutteria Tzar

He coult be using Mac you know.Lesser of the two evils :)

18. Crowqueen

Crowqueen Token forum woman

True, but Steve Jobs is as big a player as Bill Gates...

19. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

This is the reason why it is better to use a more consumer friendly system, that allows requirement to become a member of the 3rd party software DRM only to get updates, instead of forcing 3rd party software to play the game you just bought. IMO at least...

The reason that Steam likely will never do this is because although DRM and distribution are the major parts of their program, communication and MP are the things that they talk about so no one thinks about the rest of it. Forcing users to sign up immediately increases their chances of making more sales.

20. Glencore

Glencore Chieftain

You know Pirates play DRM-free games right. Publishers enforce by DRM that punishes you, not a pirate... it rewards Pirates, there is a whole scene biult around cracking games... Who do you blame?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.