Civ V Gimpless Random Personalities

Electric Ferret

Chieftain
Been trying Random Personalities just to mix things up recently. I searched and found a couple previous threads in the forums but they did not delve too deep. The common wisdom on Random Personalities seems to be that it can gimp the AI because the AI might not use it's UA, UB or UU to full advantage.

Curious, is anyone who plays Random Personalities often noticing a severe gimp on the AI's that show up?

So, I'm thinking what could be a list of CIVs who wouldn't be particularly gimped with a random AI yet would provide some interesting... er... randomness. Probably CIVs that have a UA, UU or UB that lends itself to multiple victory conditions.

Some thoughts...

Poland - seems like a CIV with a flexible UA that could adapt in any direction.

Shoshone - seems fairly vanilla once the initial exploration and settling is out of the way

Maya - they have a UA which gives free great people but since they may not select the same GP twice seems non-specialized. UB gives faith and science, always handy regardless of AI direction.

Rome - The UUs are early war units whose time passes quickly but the UA can lend itself to areas besides conquest.

What could be some other CIVs that might perform well with a random AI? Anyone noticed a CIV which always seems to do ok using a Random Personality in game?

A lot of civs don't point one way. It would be easier to figure out which civs might NOT do well with Random Personalities.

Assyria- Without conquest of any sort, it is just a basic civ with nothing. It might go science, so it could get a tech lead, and when conquering, their UA becomes useless.

Babylon- AIs are horrible with Babylon because they always pop the GS regardless.

Brazil- The only thing its good for is culture.

Egypt- A random leader might not even build wonders, a waste of the UA.

Greece- Everything about them points to diplomatic, now early conquest is very bad.

Huns- DUH!

Japan- What can they do other than destroy armies?

Mongols- Mid Game Domination. Then nothing else.

Venice- If a random Venice wants to expand and kill city states. ???

Shaka- Needs to kill people.

Civs that someone may argue with me about

Celts- They would get a religion regardless of how they play.

France- Every AI creates Great Works and tries to theme them, as I have noticed.

Korea- A UA a AI knows how to use, and defensive UUs wont change a game plan.

Ah. Yes that is a good way to look at it. Thanks!

I'd like to find a rogues gallery of flexible CIVs that works well regardless of their AI's intentions. I find in using Random Leaders that many times certain CIVs never seem to get going. China and Egypt, for example, never seem to get off the ground. Plus I generally know what they are all going to do.

I'm curious if using set flexible CIVs with Random Personalities could be a interesting stand-in for Random Leaders. Just an experiment.

I use random personalities all the time. Love it as it really makes each game different, no matter who you get. However, I don`t really follow their abilities with a fine tooth combe. I`m not a uber player (usually play King) and every Civ is always pretty challenging to me. Nothing to complain about personally.

Top Bottom