1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI early game guide for the Decidedly Average (feedback welcome!)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by knighterrant81, Apr 8, 2019.

1. megabearsfan

megabearsfan Chieftain

If it hasn't been brought up already, I would like to add that the Military Tradition civic is also very useful for the flanking and support bonuses, which can make or break an early war.

Also, I haven't had much direct experience with the Diplomatic Victory. But one thing that I've noticed is that Emergencies seem to be VERY important for a Diplomatic Victory. Most (if not all) emergencies grant you a diplo victory point, and I've failed a couple attempts at Diplo Vic because I didn't get any VCs from emergencies, and there just weren't enough World Congress sessions for me to earn all 10.

A strong army, and a strong religious game seem to be the two best ways to win emergencies, since most of the ones that I've seen (outside of aid requests) are to liberate a conquered capital / city state, or de-convert a converted holy city.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

So how does this apply or change with the June patch? Excellent write-up, very clear and structured!

3. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Warlord

I tend to downvote this one.

Many of the things mentioned are severely outdated. If I don't look at the lower-right corner I'll consider this as a vanilla guideline published in year 2016 or 2017, instead of a guideline to Gathering Storm in year 2019 when walls are bonused to 100 outer defense, 3 city strength, and some types of walls begin to neglect rams/towers.

Victoria likes this.
  4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Pingala, religious settlements, Diplomatic favour. A full starting guide is a lot of work and upkeep.

5. knighterrant81

knighterrant81 Chieftain

Yes, apologies. Masters Thesis > Civ 6 guide writing. It is in need of updating, but I do believe in the premise still - there always seems to be a lot of basic questions that people need answered when they are just starting out.

6. Victoria

No, you have gone where few do, to walk out on the target range. Full marks.
    Factual not critical, you still have my respect.
    My comment was to a degree introspective.

So much to consider in a starters guide, pretty much the whole game. Perhaps a more conceptual guide would survive time hmmm. There I go again.

acluewithout likes this.
  7. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

In a sense a written starters guide for civ 6 is not far off from a thesis. I remember in Civ 4 Sisiutil's guide was quite in depth. I believe he made a pdf out of it.

Edit: His civ 4 guide is 46 pages :crazyeye:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sisiutils-strategy-guide-for-beginners.165632/

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 4:24 PM
  8. Victoria

Yes, I am trying to form a conceptual guide in my head ATM between a zillion other things.
    Probably about 5 pages

i_imperator likes this.