1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI early game guide for the Decidedly Average (feedback welcome!)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by knighterrant81, Apr 8, 2019.

1. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

Haven't experimented much with Autocracy but I think it can be viable. CR was always my standard choice but might actually not be the preferred choice if you're warring a lot. I've often had trouble when I was upgrading units before T2 govt as I could not use both upgrade cards that come with mercenaries. For 100% peaceful play I still think CR is superior.

It's basically never going to happen unless you get lucky with early strategics, city-state envoys, choral music, or you're just playing a culture Civ. I don't really think early wonders are worth it, they're kind of a trap. I've only built Oracle once or twice and in both cases retrospectively I considered it a bad decision. I only get the Inspiration for building a wonder if I am building Pyramids early, tbh.

I think there are about three options. Let's limit us to always having Magnus with Provision, because you'll absolutely want that when settling more than 10 cities. I would never pick Magnus first unless you really need to chop early, I would do as you say: Get Liang first, then get Magnus double promoted. However, you can also pick Amani first and do a CS tour (get surezain then switch the same turn) for era score, or for an early suze-bonus, or you could even go Pingala first. In one of my recent games I went Pingala, promoted Pingala, and only then got Magnus. It made me build like 1 settler in the cap without provision, honestly no problem at all, and I get massive early culture from it. +6 culture from Pingala in the early game will be around a 50% boost, which is intense. Gets you Political Philosophy/Feudalism faster.

The more games I play the more important culture seems for SV. I had 2 recent games with Japan and Korea where I got a "late" Political Philosophy (around mid t50) and an even later second and third government, and it cost me like 20 or 30 turns problably. Every little bit matters when it comes to culture, while I find it easier to produce massive amounts of science. Also, culture is only worth it earlier in the game. As soon as you reach T4 govt culture is essentially worthless, so you better get there asap and then sell all GW.

Lugh and The Highwayman like this.
  2. Northern Palmyra

Northern Palmyra Chieftain

I generally go for the Classical Republic when prioritising science, using the wildcard for a military option land or sea as required

Feudalism is usually my goal after Political Philosophy

Builders it sounds you manage this far better than me I usually get Pingala straight away, God-King gives me enough faith to get the growth pantheon with a free builder

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  3. knighterrant81

knighterrant81 Warlord

I feel like the Ancestral Hall is a bit of a trap. If you can time everything to use it, it is (obviously) very powerful. I would caution newer players to not try to put off building Settlers/expanding until they've already built Ancestral Hall. Sometimes, you'll wall off the AI and have plenty of space and time to expand via AH. Sometimes, you will need to be a little faster about your Settlers and you can't wait until AH (or your AH was poorly timed for whatever reason). Sometimes, you'll just end up super cramped and you're likely to get very little value out of the AH. Warlord's Throne is a least as powerful as AH, again, given the correct circumstances (aforementioned situation where you are crowded in by the AI early would be good for WT).

That depends, but a generalized way to go about it would be:

- Are you generally going to be fighting (especially with melee units)? Oligarchy (remember, mounted units don't get the combat bonus, but the experience boost is still nice for them)
    - Are you generally going to expand peacefully and are only worried about defending yourself? Classical Republic
    - Are you generally investing in Wonders and/or you aren't going to be using Diplomatic policies much? Autocracy

Autocracy is a bit sketchy because Military policies are rather situational. Autocracy rewards you for putting production into buildings and Wonders, not military, so again, better for strategies that focus on those things - maybe China, for instance. Oligarchy is a good default, and the best if you plan to be militarily aggressive. Classical Republic is great (say, for Science or Culture victories if your Civ has strong Ancient/Classical-era peaceful bonuses, like say Pericles or Korea) but tends to lock you into a defensive stance. Classical Republic is also better if you have been focusing on Districts early (because of the GPP bonus).

I feel like I focused too much on this strategy when I originally wrote the guide. I tend to go for 3-4 cities before beelining the AH, and I tend to go for Warlord's more often than I used to.

I tend to go Pingala up to Conoisseur -->Magnus up to Provision --> whichever Governor best helps my mid- to long-term goals. I don't deviate very often from this but I'm certainly open to suggestions!

This is very important to understand. Science Victory != ignore Culture. At least one strong Theater Square is almost necessary, while 2-3 are very doable without deviating too much from the Scientific path. There are plenty of Wonders that work well with a SV so getting a decent Adjacency Bonus shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    The Highwayman likes this.
  4. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

Yeah, I tend to agree. I wasn't advocating for AH to be the go-to method, especially for new players, I specifically advocate for it when there is lots of space and fast culture. I think an Early Empire rush expand in 2 waves works just as well. You can actually secure key cities faster and counter loyalty better. You get your cities up faster which is crucial, because it takes time to get them online. AH simply wins out in value, the builders you get when settling more than ten cities w/ feudalism and 'mids are insane value.

5. knighterrant81

knighterrant81 Warlord

Yep. I wasn't really arguing against you, I just really feel like the AH can be a trap - because I know it was for me for awhile!

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

That's a lot of "plates" to have spinning in a given game. How do you get the timing down for transferring Magnus between cities to achieve specific things at specific times?