Civ VI Switch supports mods with CFW

KevinJK

Warlord
If you have a hacked Switch running custom firmware, you can use LayeredFS to add mods. The game has the full mod manager from PC and even has warnings telling you to try disabling mods if you screw something up. To port a mod over that has custom textures, models, animations, or sounds, they do need to have their resources packed, just like when porting mods to the MacOS version.

Instructions will assume you're using Atmosphere custom firmware. It doesn't matter if you use the eShop or game cart version. Using CFW does risk being banned from future eShop use by Nintendo, so be warned.

On your SD card, make the folder: atmosphere/titles/010044500C182000/romfs/DLC/

You will be placing mods in here. The game will recognize them as mods, not DLC. Their dependencies will be recognized as well, and you even get their descriptions and information. Now just move mods to that folder like you would into your Mods folder on PC. Placing them in /DLC on Switch just makes them load without trouble, unlike placing them in /Mods. Obviously, you do need to load custom firmware for these files to be read at all. Atmosphere has LayeredFS on by default.

To port mods:
If the mod contains only scripts (LUA) or database transactions (XML and SQL), you are done. No edits needed. If the mods contains other assets and they are packed into BLP files, look in the platforms folder. Rename either the windows or macOS folder to NX64 and feel free to delete the other. If the assets have not been packed, you will need to load the mod with the SDK and pack it.

I can confirm that when packed, custom textures, models, animations, and unit noises all work on the Switch version. I can't yet confirm if custom voices work for those amazing mods that include voiced leaders (although I can confirm those leaders' animations do work).

What's crazy is that the menus are resized for the Switch and include buttons. They clearly spent time adding mod support for the game and then just didn't allow you to actually install mods.

Last edited:

Here is a screen shot of me at the mod menu in-game on Switch. More importantly, I've added an example of how to set up the folder on your SD card.

Could you be more specific about the loading with sdk and packing thing? I can't get some mods to work (earth 2018 for instance) and I feel like I'm missing something

Thanks in advance

I wish I could, but BLPs are new for Civ VI. I did tons of Civ V modding but never got into it much for VI. I know that it needs to be done, but I don't personally know how. I'm sure there are guides somewhere for that.

Hi Fanatics. I recently acquired the Civ6 base game for Nintendo Switch. I noticed this thread (sorry for resurrecting such an old thread) says we can use pc mods on Switch. I agree that you can add a mod and it will show up in the DLC menu of Civ6 but some mods require you to use a certain keyboard combination to open the mod menu. One in particular that I installed on switch is called Gueux's god mod. Per his instructions we must use shift + G to enter the mod menu. Is there a way to access a mod menu using a pro controller or joy con? I even tried attaching my keyboard but civ6 does not recognize the keyboard . Gueuxs god mod
Thanks to all

Last edited:
Top Bottom