Civ1 DOS Succession Game!

Goals: to bribe Antioch and take it
to take Corinth
Found one more city near Thung Song
Use some of those empty ships to explore

Preturn:
Activate chariot on ship near Antioch and move to shore
Worried about Phitsanulok where barbarians hover...

Turn#1 200ad
Barbarians do take Phit... (drat - what could we have done to stop it???)
Palace expands
Surprise our chariots take Corinth
Chariot from ship attacks Antioch and gets killed
Caravan establishes trade route in Sara Bura

Turn#2 220 ad
Pop decrease in Hat Yai
WLTPD cancelled there
Civil disorder in Corinth (I give them a clown. Hope that helps.)
Greeks try to talk to us. I refuse.
Change Corinth to build temple
Chariot attacks Antioch. Knocks out one.
Other chariots to the rescue.
We take Antioch
Science is increased to 50%
All these empty ships move to explore. (what else to do with them??)

Turn#3 240 ad
Lots is happening
Damn French do a sneak attack
We get Darwin's Village
We get Metallargy/ set for something (I can't remember... but we get it. then)
We then go for electricity
Then we go for UN
Some cities are in bad shape, it seems - with mayors fleeing and folks starving.
Change Antioch to build Temple
Founded new city nw of Thung Song. Named it Hang Tite. (Lost my list of Siam cities, folks. sorry.)

Turn#4 260ad
Corinth back in disorder.
Trat builds Caravan :)eek: what should I do with it?) Set Trat to Temple
Moved ships south to see what is there
Moved settlers and roaded and irrigated and railroaded

Turn#5 280 ad
Corinth still in a mess with the mayor fleeing and all
Our ships find land in the south
caravan moves
And if you'll notice, those ^%$#^%$# barbarians have two of our northern cities.

Turn#6 300 ad
Corinth is STILL in a mess
Bankok has caravan/ set to university

Turn#7 320 ad
French take Hang Tite
And Corinth is still in a mess
We've got caravans now and I am moving them around but I don't quite know what to do with them.

Turn#8 340ad
The French are taking one of our cities and stealing gunpowder and other good stuff
I keep moving all these empty ships around exploring this land in the south of us. Why do keep so many empty ships? Not sure why.

Turn#9 360ad
The empty ships keep moving and poor Corinth is still in a bad way.

Turn#10 380 ad
Lots of cities now complete their production and are set for new production items
Poor Corinth is still struggling
Boats are still exploring that icy terrain below us
settlers irrigate and build roads and railroads

The save for Siam 380ad coming up

Please let me know if this is the 380ad file I saved. If not, it is in my computer and I will find it.

stwils

I see one person has downloaded my save. Please tell me if it is Siam 380 ad.

I don't know why, but I have a hard time zipping files or something. If it is not the right save, please tell me and I will keep trying until I get the right file zipped that is in my computer.

stwils:blush:

It's 380 AD stwils :) But shouldn't it be 400 AD? I thought each player was doing 10 turns. Someone must have done only 9 turns.

Regarding the game: I think we should go for communism! Makes all these wars we're in more easy. And those barbs are to DIE!!!
damn idiots...too bad you can't turn them off in civ 1.

Glad my save worked.

As for the turns and dates, Stormerne's turn #10 was 180ad. So wouldn't that make my first turn 200ad? And counting forward 10 turns, seems like ending with 380ad would be right. Maybe I misnumbered?

One thing for us to think about: what's the best thing for us to do with all those frigates? Maybe use them to transport troops after we get rid of the Greeks?

And I hate the Barbs, too. They took over a city just as my first turn began. And are still there and have another of our cities, also.

And the French have not been much better. What are your thoughts on going after them?

stwils

OK, looks like I'm next. I got it but may not get to play until sometime Monday. The barbs have 2 of our cities? We'll see about that ;) As for the French, I don't have a comment on that until I get a good look at the save file.

pdescobar,

If you have time today, could you post a map of my save? That way we can discuss where we are and where we are going.

Also, I would appreciate any comments on my last ten turns that might help me become a better player.

Thanks.
stwils:)

The safest way to get the cities back is to bribe them. They have no city walls and we don't want to reduce their population or lose any improvements. Send a couple of diplomats to incite revolts. The prices should be very low.

"Hang Tite":lol::goodjob::D
stwils, you said you started the UN? Use the caravans to help build that. Or set up trade routes. Or to build something 50+ shields. (Start a wonder, use the caravan to help build it, switch back:D[some people consider this a cheat])

I was able to take a look at the game when I got home today but probably won't have my turns complete until tomorrow evening. My goals will be to remove the barb infestation, probably with diplos as stormerne suggests and smack Greece around some more. I'm not planning on dealing with France until/unless that is taken care of, although I will be recalling the boats once I find them to the straits between us in case an invation is called for. As for the UN, that's gone and Suffrage is going up instead, with as much caravan help as I can find. I should be able to make a new map after my set, but I won't be able to do one for the current state.

Before I get to my turn log, a couple of comments for stwils:
-- You seemed to have a lot of trouble with Corinth rioting. Don't be afraid to rush a temple if we have the money or starve them to get them to behave if we don't. Personally, I won't tolerate a city in disorder for more than one turn and I will starve the pop down if I have to.
-- You had several units fortified in (to me) odd places. Namely, the caravan near Hua Hin, the diplo outside of Antioch, and the chariots outside of Corinth. I noted a few of these in the log. What were you doing with them?
-- Exploring with the frigates isn't necessarily a bad idea, but you should keep some of them near our coastal routes so that troops can be ferried back and forth between continents.
-- I'm not sure how the barbs managed to get that second city from us. If barbs manage to take a city from me, I will normally be quick to move troops to the front or switch production/rush a couple to get there. I wasn't there for that turn though, so I don't know what the situation was.
-- Don't take that too hard, it was just some things in the log and/or save which stood out to me, and others may have different views. On the good side, you set me up beautifully for bringing the hammer to Greece; that far outweighs the relatively minor complaints I had :goodjob:

Now for the log, in two parts because I'm so darned longwinded.

Civ 1 Succession Game Log, Part 1/2

0: 380 AD, Preturn
OK, time to review the state of the nation. We're a Republic with 576 gp in the bank and way more cities than anyone else. America has more money (635), France has less (490) and Greece has little (64). The first two are also republic, the last is Monarchy. We do not have embassies with Azteca or Russia. Demographics are usually 1st or 3rd with France being #1 on most of the ones we aren't. Current economy is 41 - 35 (approx) gpt and electricity in 9 turns.

We are at war with Greece (who is down to 3 known cities) and France who has recently destroyed one (or more likely two) of our cities and taken another. We also believe we are at war with Russia. We think we are at peace with America, but they think they're at war with us, an inconsistency I vaguely remember but forget how it comes about.

We have units all over the place, some of them fortified. I decide that my goals will be to remove the barbs and work toward destroying Greece. Any boats will be migrated toward the strait between us and France to use in potential invasion and also I want to bring one or two toward Greece to take out Delhi. I'd also like to put a city somewhere N of Samarkand near where Bokhara was, possibly on the plains which is coastal and is 5 tiles W of Phuket, 5 N of Samarkand. I'm not gonna worry about France this session unless they press the issue.

Actions taken related to cities:
  • Bangkok: Change from Cathedral to Diplomat to subvert barbs, due next turn. MM it from using an unimproved plain to using an irrigated one (both railed).
  • Khon Kaen: Change from Market to Diplomat, wasting 6 shields; MM from a roaded plain to a sea square to grab a little extra commerce this turn since shields will be wasted.
  • Da Nang: Change from UN to Suffrage which I think would be way more helpful to us. Caravans will all go there. Also MM from reg grass and plain to mined hill and forest. Some commerce is lost but this is a wonder-building city and the time drops from 48 to 33 turns and there's still a 3 food surplus.
  • Tak is starving. MM 2 ocean tiles to unimproved river and irrigated plains to get growing again. They have a happiness surplus so I wake their 2 sleeping chariots and move them toward the barb cities in case force becomes necessary. Happy/unhappy is still 2 to 1.
  • Nakhon Sawan has a fortified Chariot along with a militia in it. It can take the unhappiness and there are no MPs in repubilc so off it goes as well. Change chariot to diplo.
  • Chiengmai: MM from ocean to irrigated and railed plains which gets 2 more food and one more shield with the same commerce (the extra arrow was corrupt). They have a completely unimproved horse in their radius, I will get a worker on that next turn.
  • Rayong is starving, fire a clown to work an unimproved grass and stabilize the food situation, meaning they will riot unless their in-the-field chariot is taken care of. It will be in a bit.
  • Ubon Ratcha has 5 of 6 shields lost to support, but they still have 2 regular militia in town from the days of MPs. One of them is sent toward the barb cities in case it will be able to use a really poor defender. If it becomes unneeded, it will be disbanded. A turn or so of starvation is necessary to counter the unhappiness of it being away. This city is supporting 2 settlers, which is one more than I like to have my cities support. One of them is on the East Coast outside Surin, so that's my best candidate for the new city I want.
  • Nong Khai: Building a cavalry? I can't imagine that being useful at this point in the game so I change it to diplo. They also have an extra milita defender which takes the same trip.
  • Ayutthava: MM from bare grassland to ocean to get 2 extra commerce; they still have a 2 food surplus
  • Chianthaburi: same MM as last city with same exact results.
  • Trat: about to revolt. Spend 32 gold to finish the temple. Also MM to use a railed, irrigatetd plains I stole from Surin.
  • Surin: MM to use an irrigated bonus grass, freeing up the plains for Trat. They are building a non-veteran chariot. Change to settler for improving the land.
  • Bun Yun: building non-veteran musket. We could use some better defenders, but I hate building non-veteran units if I have a choice, so switch to barracks.
  • Pattani: same change as previous for same reason. MM from bare grass to bare plains, meaning food surplus drops to 2, but shields go up to 3.
  • Lampang: has 2 units away from home, meaning food and production (settler, 3/4 done) are dead stopped to keep revolt away. Both units look to be outside Athens.
  • Phuket: defended by a chariot and a no-support cavalry, building a chariot. Swap build to temple, wake the horsey as there must be *something* for him to do.
  • Samarkand has a boat, 2 chariot, and a catapult all sentried. I wake the boat with 2 of them on it and hire Elvii for the moment. I'm gonna stop in Nishapur and move support for one of them there then start out toward one of our enemies.
  • Nishapur: fire the clown although he'll be coming back in a turn or two.
  • Hua Hin: has a fortifed caravan next to it (why?). It is awakened and will be moved toward Da Nang as I guess it can no longer move this turn.
  • Antioch: Has no less than 4 fortified chariots in it, all from elsewhere. Since Rayong needs it the most, I will switch that one to support from here, leaving it for "defense" and the other 3 will go to the front. There is also a diplo fortifed outside of it (why?) who is awakened and sent that way as well.
  • Mycenae: fire the clown and work a roaded/irrigated grassland. I'd like to work the horse but it's bare and the loss of commerce will send us into riot.
  • Argos: about to riot, call in a clown from an unimproved bonus river. It's fairly close to France but with happiness problems, I switch from walls due in five to a colosseum due in 1. Also will wake its defending chariot to change support from Chiengmai to here next turn (doing so now would delay the colosseum.)
  • Herakleia: Will change support of defending chariot away from Tak next turn since, like Argos, it needs every shield to complete its work next turn (Temple.)
  • Corinth: Happiness through Starvation.
  • There are 2 units fortified outside Athens, which I can see, but also 2 fortified outside Corinth and one sentried outside Pharsolos, which I don't understand. I could potentially hit Athens with 5 units this turn, then. So, let's see what they've got.
    -- Vet catapult kills Phalanx
    -- Vet chariot dies to Militia (well, that cures Lampang's happiness problem at least, LOL)
    -- Vet chariot kills Militia and then with 0.1 movement left...

...takes the undefended Athens. As the screen says, 22 gp plundered, no new techs. We do, however, now control The Pyramids (Note: The city walls were actually destroyed in the assault; I went back to the save and did it again later because I wanted a screenshot which I had forgotten when we captured it "for real" :p)
  • If you thought the people in Corinth hated us, you should come visit Athens... 3 clowns are not enough, so Happiness through Starvation is once again the order of the day, although they're a long way from pop loss with 90% storage in a size 8 city. A 4th clown will get us happy, costing 1 food per turn. Production is only 2. Change the comp-selected phalanx to a temple cause we're in serious need of happy people.
  • Move a chariot toward Ephesos. They want peace, we ignore them.
    -- Vet chariot still has a movement point, kills phalanx.
    -- The 2 chariots who were chilling in Corinth move near Ephesos but can't hit it at full strength this turn so they sentry.

Thus ends my longest pre-turn ever, complete with capture of an enemy capital and a nice wonder. :D Tax rate has to stay at 3.2.5 to keep us in the black. Earning 41 - 36 = 5 gpt and electricity is "9 turns" although based upon the bar it should come in no more than 2.

1: 400 AD
(I) Russia grabs the Hanging Gardens in Leningrad, which we find obsolete.
-- Bangkok: Diplo -> caravan; MM ocean back to bare RRed plains
--- Order restored in Corinth.
-- KK: Diplo -> caravan; MM ocean to mined RRed hill.
-- Pharsalos: Diplo -> Musket; might as well exploit their barracks since our new ex-Greek cities need defense. MM an irrigated reg grass to forest for production.
-- Argos: Colosseum -> Settler for improvement; Elvis gets a real job working bare plains; chariot awakened for support change.
-- Herakleia: Temple -> Musket; chariot awakened for support change.
-- Trat: Temple -> Diplo for now; that's my default build to be changed when need arises.
-- Clowns in Antioch and Nong Khai to stop riots.
-- Revolt in Hat Yai would cost 201 gp which is too high AFAIK, so I bring one of the Takian chariots to kill its knight defender, dropping one pop but knocking the price to 156 which I'll pay to get it back. They have a marketplace; if anything else was there, it's gone now. Start up a temple and will defend with one of the extra militia which are on the way.
-- Cascade units to get defenses toward the barb cities. Ubon Ratcha's Militia to Tak, phalanx to Sara Buri, phalanx to Da Nang, chariot to Bangkok, Phalanx to Hua Hin, phalanx to Hat Yai.
-- Vet chariot kills Phalanx and then captures Ephesos, plundering 11 gp. 2 clowns needed for happiness, set to temple. Chariots and a diplo will gather here for a boat trip to Delhi.
-- Orleans is in disorder. Too bad we were expelled from that continent...
-- Hmm, we've gone into the red as costs exceed income (45 to 41)
-- Swap Lop Buri's diplo to caravan and same for Nakhon Sawan. Still 2 in production, but the sooner we can get Suffrage the better; it's 507 shields away and Da Nang brings in 16 on its own. Swap Bun Yun's barracks and Tak's library too.

2: 420 AD
(I)Citizens plant some bushes along Palace Road
Electricity discovered. Choices are Atomic Theory, Electronics, Steel, and Conscription. With our core alone on a continent, rifle are not a priority and I don't much build battleships, so Electronics it is. Da Nang can then start Hoover after Suffrage.
-- Caravan added to Suffrage. (441 away; 6 caravans in production and 2 on the way, which is more than is necessary for this wonder)

3: 440 AD
(I) Russia continues pounding home the obsolete wonders as Kiev gets the Oracle.
-- Phitsanulak rejoins Siam for 104gp and the continent is once again green. Treasury now at 309.
-- Chariot defending Athens has to switch support to them to prevent riot in Nakhan Sawan.
-- Clowns hired in Pharsalos and Phuket to prevent riots.

4: 460 AD
(I) America learns Invention.
-- Lampang: Settler -> Temple; they can't actually support this sucker adequately, so I keep the two Ubon Ratcha settler's active and send this one off to found the new city instead.
-- Nong Khai milita arrives in Hua Hin, switches support and fortifies.
-- Hua Hin chariot sentries in Ephesus; does *not* switch support because they can only produce 1 shield per turn.
-- Hua Hin phalanx changes support to Phitsanulock and fortifies.
-- Another caravan for Suffrage.
-- A frigate full of troops (3 chariot, 1 knight) moves toward France to hassle Orleans or destroy Thung Song which is undefended but size 1. Another frigate containing 3 chariots are off to finish Greece, and 2 diplos in a sail are looking to establish Aztec and Russian embassies.

5: 480 AD
-- Herodotus calls the "Glorius" Siamese the MOST POWERFUL in the world, followed by unknown (probably Russia), America, France, unknown (probably Azteca) and Greece.
-- Another caravan for Suffrage (now 295/600)
-- Subvert an Aztec phalanx hanging out near Greece for 57 gp from the sail. Montezuma wants to talk, so we do. He has one Mongol-looking advisor and demands the Republic. We say No, he smiles and goes away. Greece wants to talk, but we tell them to take a flying leap.
-- I realize that the settler N of Herakleia has been irrigating a hill and I just refuse to let that continue so I wake it and move it to the unimproved horse.
-- Land next to Thung Song; do not talk to France.

6: 500 AD
-- Bushes grow on the other side of Palace Road too.
-- Nakhon Sawan: Caravan -> Cannon
-- Surin: Settlers -> Diplo
-- Vet Chariot attacks Delhi, dies to Phalanx
-- Vet Chariot attacks Delhi, kills Phalanx
-- Vet Chariot attacks Delhi, kills Phalanx
-- Reg Chariot captures Delhi, 9 gp plundered; set to temple
-- Greece ain't dead so we have to find another city.
-- Vet Chariot attacks Thung Song (actually size 3) and defeats a musket! It then takes it and plunders 12 gold, sending Sisqo fleeing in terror. ;) That was pretty lucky, I'm not gonna trust chariots to beat fortified muskets normally and we haven't got much better so I will talk peace with France. I send a chariot to Orleans (disorder over, now size 10) and grant peace after laughing off his demand for electricity. Now that we have the Pyramids, revolting and declaring war later is not much of a problem and there's no reputation to worry about so I'll take a temporary peace.
-- Other chariot sentries in Thung Song, knight enters and fortifies.
-- Frigate sentries between Hua Hin and Thung Song because it will undoubtedly be needed later.

... to be continued

Civ 1 Succession Game Log, Part 2/2

7: 520 AD
-- Delhi grows and revolts, so I hire a clown. I also MM from bare bonus grass to bare oil which will build the temple quicker but leave growth stagnant.
-- Argos: Settlers -> Settlers; the first should be rehomed before the second is built.
-- Bun Yun: Caravan -> Barracks
-- Ayutthava: Temple -> Settler, which they can barely support but they need improvements and most of the other settlers are building the transcontinental rail.
-- Herakleia: Musket -> Musket
-- Caravan helps build Suffrage (369/600)
-- Da Nang is going to grow so I have to preemptively hire a clown from a forest for enough of a happiness buffer.

8: 540 AD
-- Bangkok: Caravan -> Caravan
-- Lop Buri: Caravan -> Caravan
-- Sara Buri: Temple -> Diplo
-- Antioch: Temple -> Barracks
-- Trat: Diplo -> Cathedral
-- Pattani: Barracks -> Musket
-- Free Phalanx on Aztec continent finds Greek city of Knossos (size 4) near where some Aztec units had been fortified, NW of Delhi.
-- Found Chumphon 5 tiles due N of Samarkand; set to Musket
-- 2 Caravans help build Suffrage (479/600)
-- Land a diplo near Tenochtitlan for embassy-making.
-- Land some troops near Moscow to cause trouble. Stalin's off his meds; he has 2 ancient advisors and is demanding our whole treasury as tribute (250 of 258 gp). War continues
-- Rayong needs a clown now, meaning they'll starve.

9: 560 AD
(I) Russian legion kills our catapult.
-- Tak: Caravan -> Caravan
-- Nong Khai: Diplo -> Market
-- Phuket: Temple -> Market
-- Another Caravan to Suffrage (541/600; another caravan can hit it next turn, meaning construction in 600 AD)
-- Frigate finds another Greek city (Rhodes, size 3) on French continent, SE of Tours.
-- Another frigate discovers a small island west of Azteca.
-- Our intelligence says Greks and Aztecs are at peace, however they have a phalanx and 3 militia near Knossos (in addition to the phalanx we bought) so they're either planning to attack Greece or us.
-- Move into position on Knossos, ignoring their entreaties.
-- Establish embassy with Aztec; Despotism, 50 gp, peace with us and Greece, very early techs.
-- Chariot kills Moscow Phalanx, will be killed by a catapult probably next turn.
-- Cavalry kills Moscow Militia, leaving it undefended. If it survives next turn, it can take on a legion which will probably reinforce.

10: 580 AD
(I) Aztecs position around Knossos; America develops Gunpowder; Russian catapult kills our chariot.
-- Hat Yai: Temple -> Diplo
-- Pharsalos grows and riots, builds musket. Keep with musket, starve em.
-- Ubon Ratcha: Market -> Cathedral
-- Last caravan for suffrage (603/600)
-- Vet Chariot attacks Knossos, kills phalanx
-- Vet Chariot attacks Knossos, kills phalanx
-- Reg Chariot captures Knossos, 9 plunder. Start temple. Defense will be free phalanx temporarily, then a musket from Greece.
-- I have a single vet cavalry outside Moscow now with a legion in there. If I take the city, I can't hold it as the russians have a nearby catapult on top of something else, and the Russians will get to steal a tech. However, if I take it and they make peace, we may have enough time to reinforce it from the mainland. Hmm. Maybe I should take on that stack of units first, in case they bought a phalanx. I decide to play it cautious and withdraw to the hill in hopes of counter-attacking them. I'm not even sure I could take the legion behind walls.

11: 600 AD
I want to see suffrage built and even out the numbers again, so I decide to take an extra turn :p
-- Samarkand: Library -> Cathedral

-- Da Nang: Suffrage -> Cathedral; Electronics isn't in yet, and they could use the happy so a quick Cathedral, perhaps with caravan help through switch-outs is ordered up
-- Khon Kaen: Caravan -> Caravan
-- Pharsalos gets under control, and Mycenae revolts. They're major unhappy so I just rush the temple (34 of 245 gp) and temp starve.
-- Electronics comes in, but I still think a cathedral first is the ticket. Choices are Atomic Theory, Computers, Corporation, Steel, Chivalry, Conscription. The Corporation leads to a lot, but I can't pass up computers; we're gonna want the artillery when France gets frisky again so I go for it now.
-- Caravan added to Da Nang cathedral with switch.
-- Cavalry kills a Russian Chariot

Notes for the next player:
-- There is a frigate just off the West Russian coast; you may be able to "rescue" the cavalry next turn if you want, or you might want to send that home and build some troops to ferry over, letting the cavalry do as much damage as it can until it dies. The catapult and unknown unit with it moved from the desert square 2E,1S of Moscow into the black area S or SE of there.
-- There's a sail with a diplo off the East Russian coast. I was intending to make an embassy with it, but it's up to you. We're at war so it might be tricky getting him landed safely.
-- The Greeks are still alive in Rhodes, which is in South France if you want to finish them off. There's a frigate in Argos which can ferry troops over. Many of the Greek cities have chariots as their defender, so you could scrape together an attack force from that. There's also a catapult somewhere like Ephesus.
-- Argos is half-done its settler and is already supporting one. You may want to swap one of them to another Greek city.
-- The Aztecs are eyeing up Knossos, fortifying a bunch of crappy troops near it. There's a phalanx and 2 chariots fortifying, and a chariot already fortified there. You can use the chariot outside to the SE as a bridge to get the musket up there if you move the musket first. There's a chariot under the musket who was a bridge this turn, and there's a musket in the frigate off the coast who was headed toward Delphi.
-- There are 2 chariots sentried outside Thung Song as an early warning system against the French. A diplo just arrived there in case it's needed; they have a knight and chariot in the city and are slowly building a reg musket.
-- The new city Chumphon is currently undefended. I was planning on filling it in with a musket built on the continent, but it's probably smarter to move the musket there now as it will be easier to reinforce a core city connected by rail than that currently unconnected city.
-- There's a frigate exploring the islands west of Greece and Azteca if it's needed elsewhere. Other boats are near coastal cities or in the process of moving diplos somewhere.
-- Most of the home rail net is complete, with a hole in the middle and some roads at both ends. I've also started putting rails in some places so you can go "around" cities and not lose the 1/3 movement by going through them.
-- The deficit is up to 7 gpt, so you may want to consider messing with the slider.
-- With suffrage up, there's probably a lot of MMing to do now that people are less sad about troops being away. Note that a couple cities are probably still starving. Have fun ;)

Download save (600AD)

Maps and Stats:

Download save (600AD)

I'll read through your last detailed post and then play my turns tonight hopefully!

pdescobar,

Thank you for your helpful comments on my turns. I will try to respond.

1. Corinth was a mess. And I did not know quite how to get things straightened out. I never thought about rushing a temple.

2. Yes. I fortified lots of units because, :o to tell the truth, I didn't know what to do with them.

3. You are right. I should have kept some of those frigates nearer home to transport help when we need it on another continent. There were far too many of them exploring.

4. I was upset when the barbs took our first city. Then when they took the 2nd one, I was really taken aback. Maybe I should have rush builded a defensive militia.

I appreciate your help. I am not a really good Civ1 player, but I want to get better. That's why I am in this SG game.

stwils :queen: (trying to keep up with you guys.):)

We have a LOT of cities in revolt it seems..nearly one every turn. I would suggest revolting to commie for the duration of this war, then back to Demo once the Greeks are toast. Our science will take a hit, but we can take it.

Bob_Smurf, We just have a LOT of cities, period :p Anyway, the happiness problems mostly boiled down to two things on my set: unhappiness at military units in the field, for which Suffrage will be a major boon, and unhappiness in newly captured cities that don't have any infrastructure and don't get the Bach benefit. This is a symptom of the greater problem that we don't have much in the way of happiness buildings. There are lots of temples, but very few cathedrals and only the one emergency colosseum. Commerce may also be a bit low; I doubt there are many trade routes and I know I'm often guilty of sacrificing commerce to get more production.

Now that we have the pyramids, though, swapping governments around like you suggest is a viable option. However, Greece is down to one or two cities; this war is winding down and alot of units have had support changed to the Greek cities they ended up in. At this point I don't really see the need to revolt. Note that we are currently a republic, not a democracy. There was no way we (or at least I :) would have been able to deal with the unhappiness of all those troops pre-suffrage in demo ;)

Another contributor to unhappiness is that we are balancing research and conquest instead of just picking a victory condition and going full-bore at it. It might be wise to make a choice whether we're going for conquest or going for space. If the former, damn the happiness, revolt, turn off research, and just build artillery, musket, and diplos and lay waste to stuff. If the latter, start concentrating on infrastructure and commerce and cut the field military as much as possible. That said, however, when playing solo I never completely commit to one or the other either :p

Nice work pdescobar!

Don't worry stwils. Learning is both painful and fun! One day soon you'll have the experience to easily cope with the kind of download I left you.

General ideas: We have too few Settlers on our main continent. This continent should be well developed with large cities that can build and support many military units whileon the same time producing a lot of trade. We also have many poor defense units such as militia and phalanx while not som many attack units (chariots) that can kill intruders. Some diplomats for bribing would be nice too. The first step is to barracks in Bangkok and Phuket and build som vet Chariots there while disbanding unnecessary old units. Meanwhile, the other cities should be building Settlers and Market Places. Markets will let the cities grow bigger thanks to luxuries and they will also help raising more money for rush buying other city improvements.

We don't need to research Computers just yet so the science rate can be set to 0% for a while. Only when cities get bigger and have libraries is it worth to start researching again.

The Greeks only have one city as far as I can see and it can easily be bribed with the Diplomat onboard the Frigate nearby. We need a strategy for handling the French. I think we should move more troops in that direction so that we are ready to strike them when the time is right. We should also get som Diplomats there to see what they are up to and maybe to provoke a war. We don't need to worry about the other civs at the moment.

Some buildings can be sold, in particular the Granaries in some former Greek cities.

Preturn ajustments:
All granaries sold
Two Barracks sold
Many entertainers put back to work
Temple rushed in Delhi and Rayong
Settlers rushed in Ubon Ratcha, Nong Khai, Trat, Bun Yun and Nishapur
Irrigating Settlers change to Railroad building
Science 0% Taxes 70%

620AD French develop Conscription, Americans get Conscription from French, French get Theory of Gravity from Americans, Bangkok builds Barracks, Corinth + Delhi + Mycenae + Rayong + Ephesos builds Temple, Ubon Ratcha + Nishapur + Nong Khai + Trat builds Settlers, Diplomat lands near Rhodes

640AD Samarkand + Argos + Pattari + Ayutthara builds Settlers, Da Nang + Chiantaburi builds Marketplace, Chiengmai builds Cathedral, Surin + Thung Song builds Diplomat, Nakhon builds Chariot, Cavalry defeats Russian Catapult + Chariot, Rhodes bribed for 162g, 24g plundered, Greek civilization destroyed, Trade Electricity for Conscription with French + Peace, Set luxuries 70%

660AD Americans and French exchange Explosives + Physics, Russian Legion dies attacking Cavalry, Cavalry defeated by Russian Catapult, We Love The President Day celebrated in Bangkok + Hat Yai + Da Nang + Lop Buri + Nakhon Sawan + Ubon Ratcha + Hua Hin + Chianthaburi + Phattalung, Lop Buri builds Diplomat, Market rushed in Tak

680AD Sneak attack by French forces, French Legion defeats Chariot, Tak builds Marketplace, Minsk located, Embassy in Russia, Chariot defeats French Rifleman in Orleans and loses to ditto, Chariot kills French Legion, Knight loses to French Rifleman in Chartres

700AD Chiengmai builds Settlers, Chariot loses to French Musketeers, French city Chartres destroyed

720AD WLTPD ends, French form Monarchy, Americans develop Atomic Theory, Da Nang builds Settlers, Herakleia builds Cannon, Hat Yai builds Riflemen, Bangkok builds Chariot

740AD Corinth + Trat builds Settlers, Tak builds Barracks, Sara Buri builds Diplomat, Peace with Americans, Chariot kills French Cannon, French Cannon bribed for 198g, Troops move toward Tours + Orleans

760AD French Chariot kills Phalanx in Rhodes, civil disorder in Rhodes, Delhi builds Settlers, Mycenae + Nakhon Sawan builds Cannon, Chianthaburi builds Transport, Hua Hin + Thung Song builds Riflemen, Cannon kills Riflemen in Tours, Tours captured 26g plundered, Peace with French

780AD French form Republic, Piece added to Palace, Russian Chariot kills Diplomat, Da Nang builds Barracks, Surin builds Settlers, Lampang builds Diplomat, Order restored in Rhodes, Bangkok builds Cannon, Hat Yai builds Riflemen, Chariot kills 2 Phalanxes in Kiev, Kiev (with Oracle) captured, Granary sold in Kiev

800AD Barbarians land near Tours, Samarkand + Chiengmai + Bun Yun builds Settlers, Hua Hin builds Transport, Athens + Phattalung builds Temple, Khon Kaen builds Caravan, Chumphon builds Riflemen, civil disorder in Kiev, Aztecs demand The Republic, we give it to them, Peace

Afterword: My plans of 10 peaceful turns was abrupted by the evil French who wanted war. I built some midgame units (Riflemen + Cannons) and sent them over to the French continent to teach them a lesson. Tours was captured and then they wanted peace. I accepted and now I have surrounded Orleans with units so in case they sneak attack again we are ready to strike back hard. The only remaining Greek city was captured as well. I kept building Settlers though and we currently have 30+ Settlers building roads and railroads. All cities on the main continent are connected with railroad.

I think Republic works out well now that we have Suffrage in place. When the French are destroyed we could think about becoming a Democracy. The Corruption in former Mongolia and Greece makes it difficult to celebrate the cities there in Republic. But since we are not ahead of the French military technology wise it is a good idea to outnumber them in units instead and the small cities we have at the moment won't permit a large Democractic army out in the field. Therefore I suggest staying in Republic.

Top Bottom