Civ2 Source Code Petition

Ancestral, you've been added :D

if its programmed in c++ or just c could civ be ported to linux?

Count me in. (I think Civ2 might've been in C)

t92300 said:
if its programmed in c++ or just c could civ be ported to linux?

It depends on a lot of factors, and we can't know without the source code. It could be probably ported, but it'll requiere a lot of work.

Chieftess, added. Do you want to include an email address?

Hey Chieftess! Perhaps you could clear up the question of whether or not it is feasible to get Atari to release this thing.

ToT 1.1 would definitely be the version to work on. And forget making it MGE-compatible, that will only limit the level of changes that can be made. People can make the necessary changes to their scens to update to the mod.

Originally posted by warpstorm
Second, I think that if this is successful (doubtful considering how FreeCiv has kinda stagnated, but this would have a huge jump start) it could compete with Firaxis' and Atari's new products. With the low profits in this genre, I don't want to see them competing with old versions of their stuff. Face it, this genre is on it's last legs. If Civ4 is not successful, it's over.
You make some rather good arguments but as Mercator said, players love this game and the people at Firaxis have great respect for Civ and care about the opinions of players as (as they have told me repeatedly :rolleyes: ).

Well, I don't think Firaxis has the rights to Civ2, thats in Atari's hands.

The other issue is that Atari recently re-re-re-released it in a 4-pack bundle with some other strategy games.

(Another issue is that the source code might not exist in a complete state anymore. That sounds far-fetched, but...)

I assume Atari could confirm that, no?

Yes, I think so.

I want to use this post to announce you that we're still collecting signatures, and that we've over 250, I think :D

Well then this would probably one of the first things to confirm before anything since if it´s incomplete then this will all be for nothing.

I think I remember Mercator saying that v.1.1 (ToT) was probably still complete but MGE unlikely.

yoshi said:
I think I remember Mercator saying that v.1.1 (ToT) was probably still complete but MGE unlikely.

But I was merely guessing, based on what happened with the Call to Power source code. I don't know anything definite about the civ2 source.

Oh, and I don't think anyone ever asked yet, but that's what we're about to do.

warpstorm said:
The other issue is that Atari recently re-re-re-released it in a 4-pack bundle with some other strategy games.

Saw it the other day for about $20 with a few low end, old games. The version is the orginal, from what I could tell and probably does not contain Fantastic Worlds. It did not look to be Multiplayer Gold.

Count me in my email is: jonathanbrown_nh@yahoo.com

I am not C or C++ wiz... but i do know a bit about codes; what i am wondering is, will aquiring the civ2 source code allow editting of map sizes, number of units, graphic capabilities, etc? Or basically would it allow you to do anything?

Nerd(nospam)359(at)hotmail.com

Top Bottom