Civ2units 1453 scenario with LUA and ToTPP 0.15

I would strongly recommend making sure the game will work well as a single player single player scenario. Aside from anything else, it is much easier to balance. With 4-6 human players, balance isn't so crucial, but it becomes much harder to actually get a game together.

I don't want to take on any sort of 'lead developer' role at the moment, but I am willing to add modules the template, or write one or two features specifically for your scenario. I wrote weapon sales specifically for Cold War. You might be able to convert it directly, but you'd have to do it line by line, since I didn't write it to be reusable. Given the different context, you might want a somewhat different mechanism anyway.

I agree with you, Prof. Garfield.

Currently I'm setting up the scenario, this is enough work for myself. I only would like to ask you or someone other for assistance when everything is ready and playable and I only need some modules for releasing it. I try to make as much as possible by myself.

For what it's worth, if I had Cold War to do over again, I'd make far more liberal use of the "isHuman" condition, and would likely have avoided having two separate event files / the batch file. isHuman is extremely handy.

You made all the events complete with LUA and didn't use the macro language?
Because I would like to make the game playable for more then only the Spanish Empire I was thinking about to make for each civ own event files.

You made all the events complete with LUA and didn't use the macro language?
Because I would like to make the game playable for more then only the Spanish Empire I was thinking about to make for each civ own event files.

Yes I'm never going back to the macro language :)

You don't need multiple event files but you can certainly set it up that way with lua. I did with Cold War and a batch file. However, any event I only wanted to fire in, say, the Chinse single player could simply have a check like:

and object.tChina.isHuman then

and the event would only fire if the Chinese civ was human-controlled. So there's no need for multiple events, just some organizing.

Sounds very interesting and much better then multiple event files. I hope that I can learn a little bit more LUA scripting. I'm happy that I understood how the units restrictions working.

Some updates about the scenario progress:
The scenario starts in 1517 and will end in 1657. 140 turns, sounds a lot but it's an empire build up scenario, so I think it's not too big. Only playable at the moment are the Spanish-Habsburg Empire.
So you are controlling Spain and Austria together. Early in the game, conquering and colonization of the New World will take a major part, later the reformation which will lead maybe into the 30 years war.
And that`s why I put together Spain and Austria into one civ, ruled by Charles V. I can realize both major events and hopefully the game won't be boring at some point.

I've also written a complete new technology tree with units developing and allowing to switch to all available gouvernments. City placement is done and build restrictions are written in LUA, thanks to Prof. Garfields template.
In North Africa for example the Barbarians can build a lot of units, in Central Africa only African Warriors.

Now I try to write the first events with LUA. This will be the most difficult part.

upload_2021-3-28_18-17-0.png

Parts of the World in 1517

Another update of the scenario progress.
I've now compiled all codes together for the Reformation progress. And it works very fine. At the end of the 16th century, a lot of countries are Protestant. Europe is on the eve of the Thirty Years War.
Next will be the Eighties Years War events.

A great thank goes to @Prof. Garfield, who has supported me much and made all the events possible in the first place.:thumbsup:

Many thank @CurtSibling :)

I complete agree with you, both @Prof. Garfield and @JPetroski giving life back to CIV2. LUA encourages me to make design the 1517 scenario and AWI will also get a complete update, this time 100% LUA.
Also good to see that your scenarios progressing so fast and that you too using LUA. The more of us using the new script language the easier will be the scenario designing in future.

Another small update of the scenario developing progress:

I've written (ok, not written by myself) and compiled all LUA codes together for the New World Events. There are beside the common events like "Conquest of Mexico" also some special events available. Some will appear until a certain city is conquered, another only if there is enough money in the treasury. The inflation too works very well, depending which choice is choosen during a special event.

I also added some benefits for conquering certain African cities for giving these lands too a purpose. The same for the Ottoman Empire, direct at the beginning of the scenario there will be a special event. It's not a historical but one fictional. Until now, everything works very well.

The Holy Roman Empire at the start of the game
upload_2021-5-10_21-3-0.png

My first idea was to use the following map, as it covers parts of America for representing the beginning of the colonial era. On the other hand I would like to concentrate on the European battlefield and therefore the map is in my opinion too small. So I decided to use the Europe only map in hope to represent colonialism via LUA scripts. I have some ideas in mind, but I'm not sure if they could be realized with LUA. But colonialism should play a role for the Spanish Empire.
How about using both maps ?

Say, the european one used for european conflicts, with large landscapes, and the "atlantic" or a "world" one to give the colonial space ?
One should then remove the european part of the "atlantic" -or world- map (maybe have special "oldmap tiles unreachable ?), create water and land transfert points, and maybe gives with lua push up to computer played civs ?

edit/ did read then wrote this quite late. sry

Last edited:
If you'd like some new medieval cities for this one, I'd be happy to put something together. You have done a nice job there, though. :)

Many thanks @CurtSibling :thumbsup:
I've compiled together for nearly all nations an individual city style and used the same style for the terrain graphics.
They are a mix of medieval and renaissance style

I would be very happy if you could draw newer ones, but I'm a little bit afraid, that this should be too much work.

Attached are the cities.bmp for the following nations: Natives, Aztecs/Mayan, English/Protestants, French, Ottomans, Holy Roman Empire, Neutrals
Cities.png

And these are the Terrain.bmp I'm currently using
Terrain1.png

Say, the european one used for european conflicts, with large landscapes, and the "atlantic" or a "world" one to give the colonial space ?
One should then remove the european part of the "atlantic" -or world- map (maybe have special "oldmap tiles unreachable ?), create water and land transfert points, and maybe gives with lua push up to computer played civs ?

I was thinking about using two maps. I know that ToT supports more than one map, but I don't know how it works as I never used it.
I'm now happy with the map I'm currently using but the idea with more maps is fine. Maybe I will use it for another scenario.

The biggest issue with this is the maps need to be the same size, which can be challenging unless you're able to build your own. There are some map editing programs that are helpful, but it's still not the easiest job out there.

The biggest issue with this is the maps need to be the same size, which can be challenging unless you're able to build your own. There are some map editing programs that are helpful, but it's still not the easiest job out there.

Ok, this is indeed very difficult. Even if the idea working with two maps are interesting, I will use only one map in future.

Some news from my first playtest.
It's July 1521 and in North Italy are heavy fightings between the Empire and France troops. The Pope has asked us for liberating Milan from French occupation which we of course had agreed. Venice were conquered and kicked out of the French Alliance.
upload_2021-5-16_21-33-45.png

Meanwhile in the New World Cortes and his army conquered Tenochtitlan, but the Aztecs didn't surrender. My brave Tlaxcalan allies helping me fighting the Aztecs.
upload_2021-5-16_21-38-11.png

Top Bottom