civ3 vs. CTP2 Modded...

• CTP2 Modded is better

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • civ3 (patched) is better...

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

hexagonian

of the realm of Hexagonia
Please note that this is not a poll to compare CTP2 'Unmodded' vs. civ3. There would be no comparison - civ3 would win hands down...

...and as a CTP2 modder, I would freely admit that. CTP2 out of the box, is not a good game from the standpoint of the AI.

However, this poll ran over at Apolyton a couple of weeks ago in the civ3 thread and the results were somewhat eye-opening. In a comparison between civ3 and CTP2 'Modded', CTP 'Modded' won - once again on a pro-civ3 forum.

Here's the proof...check the results

This is not to question personal preference issues either. Both game have different interfaces. I am not about to get into an argument about the pros and cons of PW vs Workers, stacked combat vs non-stacked combat, because these are preference issues. Both sides have their loyalists...

The greatest knock against CTP2 was a weak AI. This has been upgraded tremendously by the CTP2 Modding community, and it is the modding feature in CTP2 that far outstrips the modding capability of civ3 at this time. Will Firaxis release a decent Editor? I believe so, but the question is when will that happen and just how comprehensive will it be???

Meantime, civ3 has a psuedo-move unit feature, a lack of true armies, endless worker micromanagement, corruption and battle imbalances, and so forth. Patches come out, but they do not fully address these vexing issues - mainly because many of these issues are core design elements within the game. Again, if you prefer these issues, then civ3 is the game for you.

If you had tried CTP2 (the default game) and are somewhat disappointed with civ3 because many of those preference issues are suddenly becoming more important, then I urge you to go back and give CTP2 'Modded' a try.

There is a comprehensive wrapup of the CTP2 Mods available below

CTP2 MOD WRAPUP

Finally, I do have somewhat of a vested interest in this, because I am the creator of the 'CTP2 Cradle Mod' discussed in the above thread. Cradle is generally considered to be the toughest and most challenging CTP2 Mod available.

If you want to link up with Cradle and give it a go, here is the link.

CRADLE MOD

Meantime, let the comparison begin...

Having played both modded CTP2 and patched Civ3, I think this is a very even matchup. While there are things I miss from CTP2 (real 'stacks', PW, etc.), the AI and the culture swing the balance in my mind to Civ3. It isn't by much - modded CTP2 is still a great game. I just like Civ3 a little better. :D

Top Bottom