Civ3 don't launch without internet

Spectrum

Chieftain
I'm running Civ3 complete (GoG) from 2 different computers, and in both cases the program don't launch if internet connection is not enabled. Win7 64bits.

GoG version is DRM free, so I don't know what is happening.
I'm running the Conquest.exe directly, no Galaxy.

When internet is enabled I'm able to play it, but sometimes it needs 1minute or more to launch.

I'm running the Conquest.exe directly, no Galaxy.
OK, you're not running it via Galaxy, but are you absolutely sure that you're running the conquest.exe directly, i.e. did you create a shortcut to it yourself?

I ask because I repurchased Civ3 via GoG when it first became available there a couple of years ago, as a backup to the (at the time discontinued GamersGate) version I had already (and also because I was hoping that GoG might have included the Civilization3X.exe, for Play The World, which it didn't :sad: ). But when I installed it to test it (on my Win8.1 box), the desktop-shortcut that the installer created didn't link directly to the conquest.exe, it linked to some kind of intermediate shell-/batch-file supplied by GoG, and that file then ran the conquest.exe.

Now I'm not sure what that intermediate file is supposed to do, but if you're using GoG's shortcut, and if it's e.g. looking for an internet connection to allow online MP-play (via Steam, which is now hosting Civ3 MP), it could be that the game-startup is being aborted when it can't find one. Sure that's annoying, but you'd need to petition GoG about that...

OK, you're not running it via Galaxy, but are you absolutely sure that you're running the conquest.exe directly, i.e. did you create a shortcut to it yourself?

I ask because I repurchased Civ3 via GoG when it first became available there a couple of years ago, as a backup to the (at the time discontinued GamersGate) version I had already (and also because I was hoping that GoG might have included the Civilization3X.exe, for Play The World, which it didn't :sad: ). But when I installed it to test it (on my Win8.1 box), the desktop-shortcut that the installer created didn't link directly to the conquest.exe, it linked to some kind of intermediate shell-/batch-file supplied by GoG, and that file then ran the conquest.exe.

Now I'm not sure what that intermediate file is supposed to do, but if you're using GoG's shortcut, and if it's e.g. looking for an internet connection to allow online MP-play (via Steam, which is now hosting Civ3 MP), it could be that the game-startup is being aborted when it can't find one. Sure that's annoying, but you'd need to petition GoG about that...

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I'm launching Civ3Conquests.exe, inside the Conquest folder. I also tried the shortcut which executes Civ3Launcher.exe, but nothing happens without internet.
I think the problem is Win7 related.

Interesting. Now I'm wondering if this might be a potential problem with Win8.1 as well...? Will have to go poking around later...

Top Bottom