Civ3 GOTM #6 *Spoilers* Thread

Well I just submitted my first GOTM. I didn't finish in time to submit last month. My game is fairly consistant with what I have read above. My two biggest problems were over estimating the AI, (I should have attacked much earlier and more aggresively), and in not having a planned approach to my victory type (domination,cultural etc.). I ended up winning a cultural victory (seems to be the popular choice this month), but my score was not very impressive. I got too board to really try milking the game. Toward the end I just wanted it over.:(

Don't worry about the low score if you're used to playing at higher levels. Remeber difficulty level affects the score, so multiply by 2 to get what your score would be in a monarch level game.

I am royally pissed off at the Japanese for destroying my game. I was all set to finish my game, everything set up perfectly, no need to do anything but hit spacebar for the final 100 turns. It took countless hours to get to this point where I finally had the brutal part of milking finished: all cities founded, territory 10 tiles below domination limit, all citizens happy, etc.

Then the F-ing Japanese declare war out of the blue and attack with their pathetic forces. :mad: :mad: They took 2 citites by throwing 10 cavs at each. Why did they fight me? The *******s probably wanted my oil, which I had a world monopoly on. Even though all I did was defend my territory, massive war weariness broke out in all my cities, forcing a switch to monarchy. :mad:

Then my allies began razing Japanese cities. I realized this when I saw the dominion limit being reached rapidly as my cutural borders expanded to fit in the gaps. I can see what's going to happen next, but there is no way to get rid of a size 15 city in one turn. I start frantically trying to starve citites down to size to get rid of them, but it's no use. 1922: you have reached a domination victory.

NO!!! Do you have any idea how much time I spent on this game? :mad: Everything was set for my 7200 score game until the AI ruined it. I did NOT mess up with the domination limit; the AI caused me to go over it by razing cities. And I couldn't stop it because I was using the 1.17 patch.

If I was using 1.21 I could have prevented this from happening; I fully saw what was going to happen. Hardly fair. I'm going to finish this game with the new patch and post what my final score would have been; it would definitely be higher than the 5500 that the goddamn Japanese imposed on me. :mad: So much for the 40 or so hours I worked on creating my perfect game.

Ouch :( I wondered if that was going to happen to you after i saw your post of a map in one of the sucession forums and i seem to recall you thought it was a faint possibiliy at the time. Its one of the reasons i took the extra time to almost completely get rid of the other civs 1st. :splat:

I did pretty much the same as you, Rain. I was probably 50 or so tiles from domination, then just started razing all the AI civs, so I wouldn't have to worry about them. Building cities near AI cities, you not only worry about razed cities (which admittedly I never would have really thought about), but taking tiles by culture, is what I would worry about.

When I got down to the last city I was to settle, Instead of claiming 9 more tiles (which would give me the most # of tiles before domination, I had to grab only 8 tiles. Why? Because I had 1 island city, down by Germany's former land that had 1 tile being taken from it by an England city's culture. I knew eventually I would reclaim that 1 tile, so I had to save territory for that.

Yeah, well you don't expect to be GAINING tiles when you have 0 culture everywhere except wonder cities and you never plan on taking another AI city. I though 10 tiles would be pretty safe; but when the Zulus razed two cities in one turn... well there wasn't much I could so about it. I will definitely be glad that I can use the abandon city feature in future games. :)

I went for an early culture victory. There were a few interesting plays in my game:

Popping huts

At Warlord level, there is a 200% advantage in fighting barbarians. So, when barbs are popped, most of the time you get an elite unit for your trouble. Anticipating this, I created a number of warriors, attempting to get several elites. I got three elite warriors this way.

One of them cashed in, attacking a lone archer, creating a GL in (I think) 420 AD.

Building out

My third and fourth cities were at the choke point. Then I back-filled and build in "my" area. I went for a "land grab" initially, then an ICS later. I suspect that an immediate ICS might be a better early-culture strategy. The problem with immediate ICS is that AI civs can grab too much land, and it takes time and effort to wrest it away.

Cities adjacent to water would ultimately use mostly water tiles, so I built a second row of cities just inland from the water's edge. It looked like two concentric rings of cities.

The Forbidden Palace was placed adjacent to the iron (thanks, Babs, I needed that!). There was a mix of hills and grassland - ideal for getting high-production cities that can produce wonders. I built three wonder-producing cities there, stuffing in workers to get them up to size 12.

Once every available tile was occupied, excess food and population was not helpful. I wanted more production to speed up the build-out of culture-producing improvements. So, I reforested quite a bit of the land.

Waging war

Preparation was key. In the BC's I built an army of veteran warriors and archers in anticipation of taking the iron, and upgrading the warriors to swordsman. This meant I needed cash, so I kept research at 0 to 10%, and traded for techs (one scientist has the same impact as 10% on research - 40 turns).

I got 50 gold for introducing the Babs to the Persians (they had cities with borders only two tiles away from each other). :crazyeye:

My swordsman made short work of the Babs (they had a single city at the north tip of the continent, which was too remote to bother with at that time. I took it later).

Then probably the most interesting war strategy - I built roads in the "in-between" areas through the Persian territory, right up to their iron. Two stacks of four spearman each (one stack by land, one by sea) moved just outside Persian territory, next to their two iron sources.

I retreated my workers, and declared war on the Persians. All their immortals killed themselves attacking my spearmen which were fortified on the iron mountain. Then...no more immortals. :slay:

The roads I built sped up my attack, and without their immortals, the outcome of the Persian war was never in doubt.

Golden Age

I triggered a golden age with the Lighthouse just after creating the FP. This meant that my empire had two central cores during the GA, and I used it to build temples and libraries, which were completed prior to 500 AD. I got an "echo effect" from the GA a thousand years later, when all those buildings doubled their culture output.

A new continent

As I was running out of room on the starting continent by 700 AD, I needed more space. The jungle area of the main continent was unsettled, and had two luxuries. So...a flood of settlers went off to a new land.

By this time, the other civs were also space-constrained, and there was a race for the remaining territory. I got most of it, and culture-flipped five of the cities from other civs.

Head I win, tails Zulus

I was polite with the remaining civs. Research was proceeding at a snail's pace - I was emphasizing cash to buy improvements (I was in monarchy for most of the game). Then in 1335 the Zulus attacked. I brought everyone else in against them. I made little effort in the war beyond defending myself.

A few turns later China changed sides and attacked me. I realized later that they had made a deal with me that was ruinously expensive for them, and this was their way out. I guess you have to be careful when you've blinded the other civs with your culture. Again, I brought the other civs in against my opponent, and did little.

When the wars were ended (exactly 20 turns later), I went to democracy, put research down to zero, and spent all my cash on cultural improvements.

The last few turns I was generating over 1,500 culture per turn.

I played warmonger in this game, and I had a very good reason for that: IMO the War Elephant is by far the most beautiful unit to look at ;) .
I built Calcutta at the chokepoint in 1375BC, then got rid of the babs between 350BC and 200AD. Next on the list: the Persians of course, terminated in 620AD.
About 2 centuries at peace, preparing my landing in England with a bunch of superb War Elephants. Then allout war till I was granted domination.

(BTW how can some players win these GOTM by conquest? In my own experience Domination always happens previously if is activated)

Originally posted by la fayette

(BTW how can some players win these GOTM by conquest? In my own experience Domination always happens previously if is activated)

It can happen if you find the enemy early, while there are still islands unsettled. Also, a player "milking" the game will conquor up to the domination limit and then raze all but one enemy city, and then proceed to max out his exsisting cities. the player might then choose to win the game by elimanting the remaining rival city.

Originally posted by la fayette

Check out Sullla's post on this thread at Apr 24, 2002 04:31 PM. He is attempting to avoid the domination win in order to milk the score. His attempt failed, but was a worthy attempt at this strategy.

In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain
For promis'd joy.

Yeah, something like that :) I should have been more careful in my game. I thought I could leave the AI alone for the most part after the initial land grab, hoping for a peaceful win diplomatically in 2050. But with the Zulus in the game, war is probably inevitable (though strangely Shaka was the only civ not to attack me....)

I submitted my game a week ago and there are only a few days left, so...

My wars against Babylon started at 630 BC. I sued for peace and received a couple of smaller towns. I was back filling during this time and completed the Pyramids in 310 BC. I wanted this wonder to help with growth over the ages. I then had a brief scuffle with the Persians around the ivory and later settled for one of their small northern towns.

Around 100 AD I was ready to spread over the continent so I proceeded to take out the Babylonians. At 210 AD the war was over, however I would find later that they had a settlement over on the small island.

At 270 AD I began the Persian wars. They really provided little resistance and they were eliminated in 360 AD. Then I proceeded to develop my home continent. I wanted to groom every square mile.

I settled my first city on the large continent in 580 AD over by the Chinese. They had very little culture and I just kept building in the gaps and pressing my culture to open up new building sites via ICS style growth.

Around 600 AD I settled a city on the small island to keep the Babs company.

By 990 AD I had assimilated almost 50% of the Chinese territory. Around this time I had had discovered navigation and had my first settlement over by the English.

I had been on Polite terms with everyone and then the English declared war on me. At this time I was the only civ with Chivalry and took my elephants (the elephants only war of the ages) over to do some stomping. I also got the Germans to go to war with the English. By 1220AD, I had made my point to the English but it seemed that the Germans had used the opportunity for some northern expansion. It was not until my game summary replay that I saw that they had actually taken these towns from the English. Oops, I would later take them out of the game before I finished the English based off this poor military intelligence.

In 1260 I started my campaign against the Chinese with Cavalry. Since we were almost coexisting I was able to capture 7 of their cities on the first turn without a ROP agreement in effect. In 1270 I started destroying the German civilization. I was strong enough to proceed with fighting on two main fronts. By 1300 both the Germans and the Chinese were essentially finished off, each only had one city left at this point. I had also pretty well established any new cities in these areas that I wanted for future development.

In 1325 I started my campaign against the Zulu and in 1335 the campaign against the English. By 1365 both these campaigns were finished. My cavalry was very strong against all the competition and none of them had yet even discovered chivalry.

In 1375 I started against my last foe, the Japanese. They were the strongest yet but did not have samurai until about the third turn into the war. The last Japanese city fell in 1420. By this time there was only one Babylonian city left on the small island by the smaller continent. All other civs were gone.

I was already pretty far along the milking stage of the game. This is were I really think that I did this incorrectly. I now think that ICS is best for milking because you have to get hospitals and ecology to build real big cities. Anyway I built a lot of big cities and had an ICS development in what used to be the Chinese area on the large continent.

At the end I had a civilization population of about 18 billion people. I had one city with about 12 billion and another city with about 5 billion people.

I ended up with a score closer to 9000 than 8000.

Cartouche Bee

I managed to finally play a Civ III GOTM--my third Civ III game ever. It was a pretty leisurely affair, as I had cut my teeth on Regent a couple of times up until now. I have to admit I didn't pay too much attention to cultural points (actually, I had to go and check what I had after reading some of the posts here: a healthy 57,000 in 1808--not bad for not really knowing how culture works!)

I ended up winning by domination in 1808, after wiping out the Babs and the Persians and then getting dragged into a war I didn't really want with the Germans and the Japanese. Poor English got caught in the crossfire and were decimated, except for a pet city I decided to let live, far to the south of their once proud land. After razing the Japanese to the ground and pushing the Zulus up close into the Chinese, the game suddenly ended!

I guess I should have been counting tiles, but I'm not even sure how to do that. :crazyeye:

I didn't get a single GL until something like the 1700's, either. Is this a Warlord-level thing? I was certainly in enough bloody battles with elites!

BTW, is it common knowledge that, when you win twice in battle in the same turn with a tank, it gets an automatic upgrade? I think the funnest part of this game for me was sending my tanks to 'elite training school' before real battles, by making them attack the silly Zulus and the ineffective stacks of archers they insisted on sending my way. :lol:
:tank:

I stopped playing in 750 AD, just after completing Smith's Trading co, Wall Street, Magellan's Voyage and Newton's University, and about to enter the Industrial Age.
Without firing a single shot, we gained control of almost all of the home continent, and the southern part of the main continent over about its entire length. Many Babylonian, Persian and Chinese cities had joined India. We had all the luxuries, strategic resources, and wonders, more than 80 cities to micro-manage, and the rest of the game would be boring. Milking is not my cup of tea.
I hope the next GOTM is more challenging.

Originally posted by Ribannah
Without firing a single shot, we gained control of almost all of the home continent, and the southern part of the main continent over about its entire length.
Milking is not my cup of tea.
Choose early military conquest next time, Rib,...just for a change :) .
( BTW I wonder how that kind of peaceful conquest would be doable in civ2)
civ3, champion of non violence :goodjob:

I finished it! Barely in time again! :eek:

I really should start playing earlier. :crazyeye:

But anyway, for such an easy game it took way too long. Due to the map size it is my highest score so far in my HoF.

I wiped everyone out and left only 2 cities in the jungle, 1 german, 1 english. I surrounded them with enough modern units to quell any resistance and counter any attempt to settle. :cool:

I set it up so I could achieve a diplo victory in 2050AD but no matter how much I gifted these to, they stayed furious with me. Not sure whether it was due to the blockade (but I had RoPs with em both) or the fact that I razed all their other cities because of the domination limit. :lol:

So in the end I had the choice between a space ship, a conquest, a domination and a retirement victory OR a diplo LOSS. The score is not effected by this, so I choose the diplo loss, because for any awards it didn´t matter.

So my highest score is a LOSS! :rolleyes:

Not a bad game but with no challenge, so I´m eagerly waiting to start the Deity game.
I´ll try not to be too late!
:D

Top Bottom