Civ3Ext

How about some screen shots or clearer description of what you
utility will offer?

Personally I don't install to see what X utility will do. I need to see image of what to expect and then description. If it seems like a value add, then will try. Otherwise, it's too much.

== PF

There is no screenshot. There is only one thing to see : it's the Corruption.cpp source file in the src subdirectory.
It has nothing to do with the editor. Civ3Ext allows you to write and use a different corruption formula. Civ3Ext interrupts the game whenever corruption is to be calculated for a city, does its own calculations, passes the result to the game and resumes it.

edit : I realize I don't know which part of Civ3Ext you are talking about.
I thought it was for corruption. Anyway, everything Civ3Ext does can't be done with the editor. Just run it and test it. There is no installation. Delete it if you aren't interested by this utility.

@Muchembled: there are quite a few players like myself mainly interested of the removal of the city limit which your tool offers, can't you create a small utility just for that for C3C1.15? that would be just great,!!!

Originally posted by Muchembled
There is no screenshot. There is only one thing to see : it's the Corruption.cpp source file in the src subdirectory.
It has nothing to do with the editor. Civ3Ext allows you to write and use a different corruption formula. Civ3Ext interrupts the game whenever corruption is to be calculated for a city, does its own calculations, passes the result to the game and resumes it.

edit : I realize I don't know which part of Civ3Ext you are talking about.
I thought it was for corruption. Anyway, everything Civ3Ext does can't be done with the editor. Just run it and test it. There is no installation. Delete it if you aren't interested by this utility.

Let's see if I understand now. Your utility:

1. allows you to write a different corruption formula in Corruption.cpp
2. you compile Corruption.cpp and put the recompiled code as Corruption.exe in the
normal installed directory
3. your utility redirections queries to original file to revised compiled file.

If my understanding is correct, then the only visible indication that utility is running is differencies observed in amount of corruption. Thus no screen shots are available.

Did I get it?

Originally I thought from your decription you created something of a run time trace program that would window when you ran the game.

== PF

For the corruption, that's it... approximately : that's not Corruption.exe but Civ3Ext.PTW.exe ou Civ3Ext.Civ3.exe.

Thanks.

Bottom line great utility if have a compiler, but if not currently using a complier for game OS, a future tool to consider.

== PF

Well, concerning the 'more cities' part, I am going to remove it.
Contrary to all other extensions and the 'more units' one, it is buggy so I don't think it has been useful to many players.
I tried to fix it, I've even fixed the F1&F5 panel when the human player has more than 512 units, but I finally found a big static fixed-size array of ~1 MB where the game can only store information for 512 cities for all civilizations. There are too many references to this array. I still think Firaxis could easily remove the limit.
It was worth a try.

@Drivebymaster : see first post
@dog : see the readme and post #28
Originally posted by Gramphos
May I ask you if oyu know what that array is for?
I had the intuition knowing that wouldn't help so I stopped there. Now that you asked it, I've just noticed I have a reference to it in the corruption patch.
This array is the main part of the instance of a class which has a method that determines if 2 cities are linked (if not, distanced-based must be increased by 25%). This array seems to contain information for any couple of cities. Its size would be in O(N^2).

@dog : see the readme and post #28

Well, I got the bit from post #28 but I wasn't going to d/l the program and the readme because I play with Conquests. Do you actually replace all the existing barb units with newer units that have upgraded stats at the trigger event? Or is it just a graphics change? Can the modder select which units become the new barb units?

If you don't plan on doing a Conquests version then I hope another enterprising programmer type could take your idea and make a utility for C3C. A lot of people have been hoping for upgraded barbs. I'd d/l it in a heartbeat if I was still playing PTW!

It's not just a graphics change. And yes, a modder can select which units become the new barb units.

Sounds great. I hope someone buys you a copy of Conquests for the next French holiday. :D

New version. Civ3Ext 1.12 :
- Hall of Fame (you're asked if you want to add your score when a game is finished).
- 'More cities' removed.
- (bug) Loading of saves.

Great tool thanks, finally the ai will create a lot of units with 31 civ's. As I understand it’s important too launch the exe file before you load the game, and AFTER you have past the unit limit, right?
So why not use a tool like winbatch, or something else, to create another exe, so it can launch civilization.exe together with your tool, at the same movement? I used a similar tool fore a couple of years ago with flight sim2002, the main exe was launched together with 7 add-ons, and it worked ok. The bad thing is that you need too install winbatch (or a similar tool), the good thing is that you never "forget" too launch your exe before playing....
:)

As I understand it’s important too launch the exe file before you load the game, and AFTER you have past the unit limit, right?
No. There are 2 things :
1. the link between the Civ3Ext and the game : it is established automatically however you launch them (you can even launch Civ3Ext once, when Windows starts, since it's a small program)
2. applying rules : Civ3Ext must detect the moment when you start a new game or load a savegame. You can set/change the rules at any time.
"AFTER you have past the unit limit" : anyway, you wouldn't see the difference before... :confused:

The difference before(without the tool): You can upgrade units without crash, after the limit, the game will crash when you are trying too upgrade a SINGLE unit. Before the ai will produce units as normal, after only human can produce units, the world turns into ghostland. When several civs are wiped out, the game turns into more like normal again. But it depends on how many units you have created. Happens often when playing with 31 civs, and it made the game too easy.
I was afraid that the game would crash after the limit, if I tried too load the game without the tool, that's why I called it important ;) . Before it makes no difference, but you need too know exactly when you are close too the limit ;)

Top Bottom