Civ4 Finnish translation

Junuxx said:
I think the build menu (in the screenshot) as well as the bottom left unit info would look better if all options started with a capital letter. But that's just the opinion of a guy who doesn't know Finnish at all ;)

They are with lowercase letters because it looks better in the middle of sentences:

"Olet kouluttanut yksikön kasakka kaupungissa Lontoo"
NOT "Olet kouluttanut yksikön Kasakka kaupungissa Lontoo"
("You have built Cossack in London")

IMHO.

wow that's a massive piece of work. I've started on a Dutch translation, but i got bored sick with it when I hardly saw any progres after 3 hours... You must have worked hundreds of hours!

Congrats!
Even though it's not useful at all to me :p

Kahkonen said:
You were wrong.
Hi Kahkonen, I checked my mailbox and found the email you sent some time ago. Sorry about that. I will definitely include your work in the new file announcement. Thanks!

Edit: Moving this thread to the modpack forum btw. More people will see it there.

Indeed we will. Holee golf, that's amazing. Things still to be translated, you say? *Taps chine* Due to my infuriating tendency to procrastinate with large bodies of work I don't dare take on anything truly substantial, but if there are any small things left that need attention I could lend a hand.

Kizor said:
Indeed we will. Holee golf, that's amazing. Things still to be translated, you say? *Taps chine* Due to my infuriating tendency to procrastinate with large bodies of work I don't dare take on anything truly substantial, but if there are any small things left that need attention I could lend a hand.

Only those big Civilopedia entries are not translated as you can see in this screenshot: http://www.uta.fi/~mk78743/civ4/kuvia/kuvia_v100/scrnshot10.jpg (under "Historia" topic). If someone will translate them, we can unite our works.

And surely there is still some small mistakes (like "horde" was translated "hevosjoukko" horse troops while better word is "sotajoukko" warrior troops.)

Thank you, Thunderfall.

Reno said:
Excelent work, this will be put to use. :)

Although i would translate a few things differently, for example: Warrior = Soturi, While you have translated it as Taistelija which is more like Fighter.

We can think about it .-) If you notice more small mistakes, you can use my feedback form in http://koti.mbnet.fi/kahoset/civ4.php

My thoughts exactly on the warrior. In fact I had several suggestions (wouldn't "työläinen" sound more natural for "worker?"), but decided to keep them to myself as you're the one who's labored for months after this and I'm just a leecher. If they're indeed okay to voice, then great!

Civilopedia, you say? Hmm... why would it have to be a one-person effort? I could look into the religions.

Kizor said:
My thoughts exactly on the warrior. In fact I had several suggestions (wouldn't "työläinen" sound more natural for "worker?"), but decided to keep them to myself as you're the one who's labored for months after this and I'm just a leecher. If they're indeed okay to voice, then great!

Thank you for your suggestions. If you have more, please send them. I'll answer to them in my page.

Kizor said:
Civilopedia, you say? Hmm... why would it have to be a one-person effort? I could look into the religions.

That would be great, Kizor! I meant that I wont translate Civilopedia but of course you and others can. If you, whoever, want, please contact Exel who too was interested in this. Exel, btw, translated about hundred hints for this mod!

Really good job, Kahkonen, i think i'll understand more of it when i start learning finnish again in summer. And it was quite clever way to solve the noun forms problem, that is the main thing that has kept me from translating things into Estonian.
(and i want to see 'sähkö' in the tech tree :p )

Amazing! :eek:

Well, I don't really need this, but I do want to congratulate you on pulling through such a mammoth task! :goodjob:

While I figure out my role in this, here are the religion translations I mentioned, unintegrated. I unfortunately had to guess on two details when googling and Wikipedia failed to provide translations; I'll ask a Muslim I know about one of them if I see him.

Attachments

• Civ IV käännös.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 385
This sounds amazing. I'll definitely download it, something I rarely do :p

Thanks for the very big job Kähkönen

Amazing job! Just out of nosiness, are you a professional translator or do you have any formal training in translation?

Ei juma, Civ IV suomeks :lol: Aika veto kyllä. En kyllä osaa kuvitella pelaavani tietokoneella suomenkielistä peliä.. Mut kuitenkin Onnittelut.

My god, Civ IV in finnish :lol: I couldnt imagine myself playing a computer game in finnish.. But concrats anyway.

Top Bottom