Civ4 in Windows Virtual Machines

Thanks... seems like boot camp is the way to go. wish i didn't have to reboot every time i wanted to play civ though...

However, runs quite smoothly (at least for a dozen turns or so..) in Fusion 2.0.

This is on a new MBP with 9600m (or 9400m, either seemed sufficient). On the same machine, I can't seem to get CIV IV BTS to run correctly, but perhaps there's a configuration issue (It runs in Boot Camp, but crashes my VM and my Mac in Fusion..)

It might be a little premature to celebrate but I just tried the new version of Parallels with BtS.

From my initial testing, everything seemed to work fine! Leaderheads all seemed to show, tile resources were present, city progress bars and even the globe seemed to work.

I didn't check the wonder movies since I don't have any save games near the creation of a wonder.

I googled Parallels 4.0 and it sells for $79.99, and it *looks* to me like it comes with Windows built-in, so no separate purchase of Windows required?

I have Windows XP anyway that I have installed in Bootcamp. I love the idea of not having to leave Leopard though... Does Parallels have a mechanism to import or transfer my current Bootcamp files into Paraellels? That would save me a big headache....

I googled Parallels 4.0 and it sells for $79.99, and it *looks* to me like it comes with Windows built-in, so no separate purchase of Windows required?
No, it doesn't

I have Windows XP anyway that I have installed in Bootcamp. I love the idea of not having to leave Leopard though... Does Parallels have a mechanism to import or transfer my current Bootcamp files into Paraellels? That would save me a big headache....

Yes, it does, though I've seen mixed reactions to it on the Parallels forums. There have been issues with activation, and compatibility. Maybe they've sorted it out in version 4

One more question, have anyone tried Colonization yet??

I tried it in Parallels, and reported previously in these forums. It worked in version 3 of Parallels to the same extent as Civ4 does - leaderhead and other graphics oddities, but no game breakers. Colonization is the same software as Civ4 and expansions - just different data.

I am about to try version 4 to see if the graphics issues are resolved in all Civ4 variants.

[UPDATE] Civ4 BtS and Civ4 Colonization both seem to work well in Parallels 4 + Win XP SP3. There are still some odd transitory effects when opening a saved game - the fog of war is drawn a bit late, exposing some hidden terrain for a second or two. But leaderheads are now intact, and performance seems pretty good so far.

Alan, thanks for the responses. I did see as I read more carefully that Windows is NOT included. It looks like 4.0 is working pretty well for Civ4/Colon, but I think I'll wait awhile to see how it ends up working in the longer run. I think I'll be preoccupied with World of Warcraft with its new expansion coming out tomorrow :D

I've played BtS a couple of hours now. I haven't encountered any locks or crashes yet.

Parallels 4.0 works, except you don't see city names and production.

I tried VMWare Fusion, but the game hangs upon world creation, with Spock's voiceover describing the beginning of the world and the word "Finishing" on the screen. Did anyone else have this problem with VMWare? What'd you do to get around it?

Parallels 4 works fine here. There may be a problem with your config.

BTW. For anyone who's thinking of trying Parallels, there's a bundle offer on currently at MacUpdate. $49.99 for Parallels plus a stack of other Mac software.

Disclaimer: I have no association with MacUpdate or any of the software publishers except as a customer.

Disclaimer: I have no association with MacUpdate or any of the software publishers except as a customer.

:lol: funny to read this !

MacUpdate is indeed great for Mac users and their bundle offers are one of best values around for sure ...

Parallels 4 works fine here. There may be a problem with your config.
Hi I'm sorry to bump, but I have the problem as well. Using Parallels 4 build 3846, Windows XP SP3. BTS 3.19. Everything works fine except for the city info. Cannot see population or text under the cities. Hope someone knows of a solution. :)

Hi, welcome :wavey:

As I indicted in my previous post, this works fine for me. Like you, I'm running Windows BtS v3.19 in Parallels build 4.0.3846 in Snow Leopard.

I've checked it in Low Graphics and High Graphics modes, and in both cases I get a city bar that looks as I would expect - pop in a star on the left, the city name on top and the current build's name underneath and its icon at the right. Coloured bars show progress to the next pop increase and the build completion behind the text.

I'm not aware of any option to disable that particular display, so I'm struggling to imagine why this is happening. You could try switching on Logging in your CivilizationIV.ini in \My Games\Beyond the Sword\, start a game, build a city, and then see if you get any Python errors in the \Logs\PythonErr.log file in the same directory.

Thanks AlanH. :) I'll give that a try. OS I'm running here in my Macbook Pro is Tiger and my video card is ATI X1600 with 128 MB being used. Thanks again!

Can I ask what your hardware specs are? Or possibly your parallel settings if possible? :)

Tiger's a bit old now, of course. I don't know if that would have an effect. Though if the game loads and runs apart from the city info display, it sounds more like a logic problem in your Civ4 installation than a basic OS or hardware issue.

I'm on a first generation 2.66 GHz quad core Mac Pro, with 4 GBytes of RAM, and a 256 MByte GeForce 8800 GT graphics card.

In Parallels, Hypervisor is not enabled, so it only uses one core. Optimization is for Virtual Machine. It has 1 GByte main memory, 128 MBytes video memory, Enable 3D acceleration. Most other settings are default. I don't share folders or profiles with the Mac, and I don't use Coherence - I prefer to keep Windows in a separate compartment.

I run Civ4 in a window at 1024 x 960 resolution, and I have BlueMarble installed.

Top Bottom