Civ4 Patch v1.61, SDK, PitBoss, & Low-res Movies Released!

a question i don't know what to do with the patch can someone give me the instructions screenie+instructions just instructions confuse me

Holy crap. I havent been here since about the first patch well second I suppose it was cause the first one was broke. anyway all I have to say Is WOW!! leave for a few months I come back and there's patches and even a whole freaking expasion pack available. :crazyeye:

I bought Civ4 when it came out but returned it because it would not work on my laptop. I called tech support about it, and they said it would never work on my laptop because of an inherant coding falt.

Will this patch make it work?

couldn't play the game before this patch due to random crashes to desktop.

still can't play it.

I'll check back in a year from now.

-sumo

Woah, 18 pages. I could not read all to find my query.

Does low resolution movie included Great Wall movie?

Regards,
Arto.

I have looked around here and am new to the forums.
Recently got Civ4 after having had the other 3 previous ones.
Once I found this forum, I found there was a patch. I had no problems before the patch. Now, my wonder movies stutter or begin music stuttering with blue screen. It takes time to move beyond it without ever seeing the movie. (this only happened after patch)
I tried the .ini fix here. It worked until Taj Mahal in 1879AD and now it is back. I looked and my .ini files kept reverting to the "0" setting. I keep resetting it and it worked the first couple times. Now, I am back to the problem with the movie again even with the fix.
**Should I do the low res movies? (everything else has been fine until this moment) Once I download the movies (if I do), what do I do next? I am not that savvy with how to do these things unfortunately so pardon me if these questions are stupid to those of you much more skilled.
thanks...
Anthony

V. Soma said:
yes, it is true :)

The long-awaited patch for Civ4 (v1.61) has finally been released. The patch includes a variety of changes, fixes, and additions such as new map scripts, scenarios, and unit changes. The patch is 45.7 MB and can be downloaded either through the Game's main menu screen (Advanced > Check for Updates), or by going to Civ4's official site download page.

The Civ4 SDK and PitBoss are also released. The SDK contains the core game DLL source code (including all the AI and game code), allowing gamers to completely rewrite or modify literally everything about the game they want! This opens up a whole new world of modding and it's possible to make a completely different game loosely based on Civilization using the SDK.

The PitBoss application is the the persistent turn-based server program for Civilization IV and a beta version was released back in January.

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

Download the v1.61 Patch (45.7 MB) from: 2K Games | Firaxis | 3D Downloads | 3D Gamers | FileFront | WorthPlaying | VGPRO
Download the SDK (6 MB) from: 2K Games | CivFanatics | Firaxis | 3D Downloads
Download PitBoss Application (3.56 MB) from: 2K Games | CivFanatics | Firaxis | 3D Downloads

For people who have trouble playing the in-game Civilization IV movies, Firaxis has released low resolution versions of all the movies for download on Firaxis website. Before downloading these movies, you should try the v1.61 patch first to see if it takes care of the problem. If not, try the following:
  • Open the config (ini) file in notepad, and find the line which reads HideMovieBackground = 0, set it to HideMovieBackground = 1
  • The intro and victory movies expand to fill the screen, so play the game at lower resolutions (like 1024x768) to get the best performance.
  • If that doesn't help, you can download the low-res movies in three separate files:

Download Low-Res Movies - Intro (68.09 MB) from: 2K Games | Firaxis | 3D Downloads
    Download Low-Res Movies - Victory (40.19 MB) from: 2K Games | Firaxis | 3D Downloads
    Download Low-Res Movies - Wonders (271.04 MB) from: 2K Games | Firaxis | 3D Downloads

The patch ReadMe:

Having reviewed posts again... in the event this is asked, I have:

MS Windows XP, media center v2002, SP2
Pentium 4
2.40 GHz
512MB RAM

and again, intro movies, splash screens, and wonder movies were working fine after the .ini file change was made. But, now that problem is back. (I have seen many posts about "late game" problems with movies...is this the same thing? what have people been doing with that problem when it does happen?)

thanks.

I've tried 4 different download sites, and the updater in the game. For whatever reason, these downloads just won't take. It's like I'm blocked. I'm talking both the .exe downloads & the zip downloads. I guess I'll have to play as is for awhile. Damn chinese firewalls.

skyline5k said:
I've tried 4 different download sites, and the updater in the game. For whatever reason, these downloads just won't take. It's like I'm blocked. I'm talking both the .exe downloads & the zip downloads. I guess I'll have to play as is for awhile. Damn chinese firewalls.
you could just press check for updates in civ4

I tried that. I tried this site, the official site & everything. It just ENDS at about 1 meg of the download. It's getting Infuriating! I tried to check if it was something off of firefox/ie, or my zone alarm, but I can't seem to find what's stopping the download.

I'll try it this weekend when I'm over to a colleague's place for some LAN gaming. But Damn, I hate Chinese internet.

skyline5k said:
I tried that. I tried this site, the official site & everything. It just ENDS at about 1 meg of the download. It's getting Infuriating! I tried to check if it was something off of firefox/ie, or my zone alarm, but I can't seem to find what's stopping the download.

I'll try it this weekend when I'm over to a colleague's place for some LAN gaming. But Damn, I hate Chinese internet.
no that happened to me to just download it a couple of times and eventueally you'll get the whole one

I am the Warbeast, no man or woman shall ever defeat me! I shall master the rules of SunTzu (My mentor and destroy you all !) You have been warned

Fear is a healthy thing. It may one day save your life, worthless as it may be.

Speed to conquer, power and fortifaction to defend, I teach you well.

Deception is a fine art. To the warrior finer then any man made beauty. When you come, let them thing you go. When you attack do not let them know from where, I will teach you more my children.

Are there any brave enough to speak to Warbeast?

Warbeast said:
Are there any brave enough to speak to Warbeast?
Yes. Please desist in pointless posts, especially without allowing others to reply in between. Next time this might end up in a warning, or worse...

Hi, I don't check out the civ site very often so I just recently downloaded the newest patch.

I had fallen in love with using the US Navy Seals or marines for amphibious landings to take out all coastal cities with a single crushing blow leaving meh enemies in the most dire peril.

Alas, where oh where have my Seals gone? WTF, now they upgrade to the mech? That's a piece-o-****. Can anyone tell me which line of code I need to modify to bring back the seals and have them not upgrade to mechs? I still have a bunch in my current game but I cannot build new ones.

There must be a way to undo this crappy "upgrade". Please help.

Thanks.

Thanks to 1.61, I cannot change my game resolution anymore. Once I load Civ4 and go into advanced to change my resolution from the defualt 1024x768 to something else, I get a crash to the desktop and 5 consecutive Fatal Error messages that say "Using the MemorySaver option in your configuration does not allow device loss. Exiting program."

My hardware:
Athlon XP 2500+
1gig Ram
GeForce 4 TI 4200 128Mb Video
Dell 2405 FPW monitor

I always run the game at low graphics settings, no antialiasing and at 1280x960 ( or something like that, I can't remember exactly) becuase my monitor is widescreen.

I have not loaded any mods, and I have not had any problems like this before. The only other issue I have had is slow late game responsivenes and a few late game crashes on large map levels. I only play normal map games now.

Any help would be appreciated.

I confess that I have not read all of these postings. The best that I can do so far is a time victory on the settler level. I did that as Roosevelt. I want to set up a game to try and kick some butt militarily. What kind of world would be best, what leader would be the best to choose? and the best way to go about it. Also, is there a way that I can post that game I won with Roosevelt and have it critiqued?

Posted in the wrong place. Sorry.

I have download the patch, but I can't install it. I receive a message "The setup has tedected than no version of Civilization IV is installed". There are no "ignore" key. (I already have Civilization IV 1.09/) What I have to do? :confused:
I am past praying for it.

I have download the patch, but I can't install it. I receive a message "The setup has tedected than no version of Civilization IV is installed". There are no "ignore" key. (I already have Civilization IV 1.09/) What I have to do?

If you bought Civ4 by digital download, then you need a different version of the patch.

If you bought Civ4 on CD, try reinstalling it.

If you didn't buy Civ4 at all, don't expect sympathy here.

I have Civilization IV - Master of dominion on cd. But reinstalling doesn't help.

Top Bottom