1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ4 Patch v1.61, SDK, PitBoss, & Low-res Movies Released!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by V. Soma, Apr 13, 2006.

1. sgtfury

sgtfury Chieftain

I'd like to thank everyone here who put up with my stupid posts and frustration in not being able to play Civ IV despite all the patches. I can now report some real success.

After downloading the latest patch, movies still caused the game to crash, and gameplay crawled to a, well, a crawl, about midway through.

I broke down and purchased some memory (more about that later), and doubled my memoray. BIG improvement. Everything moved along nice and crisply, and I can watch the movies except for the late game, but no crashes. Finally, after all these months, I can play the game all the way through for the first time, and the way it was meant to be played.

On the memory issue, I have a Dell computer, which can only use RD RAM, as opposed to the much more widely available and cheaper DDR RAM. it took quite a lot of effort on my part (not being a techie) to discover this, and track down one of the few remaining places where I could buy RD RAM. it was also very expensive. Also, the amount of RD RAM is comparatively low, only 256. But, this still made a big difference, and my computer is running quite efficiently.

I have put months of work into increasing my computer's performance, start-up, memory, etc. Civ IV was a big incentive. i would not recommend this approach, as I spent much more than the game's price. But, now I'm a happy camper. Happy endings! :king:

2. Elmstr

Elmstr Warlord

very nice :)

3. nkranich

nkranich Chieftain

v1.61 offically fixed the black terrain and cheshire grin issue on my computer.

Yay!!

4. VemuKhaham

VemuKhaham Chieftain

I just installed the new patch and my game is ruined. My problems seem to be different from the ones I read about in this thread. Aside from a few minor bugs which I can overlook, the following 2 issues simply ruin the game:

1.) Except for the terrain and the units, I don't see any terrain features such as forests, jungles, resources and such anymore. They're gone. All I see is grasslands, plains, hills and such. Despite that, they are still there, cause movement penalties for forests or such still apply. I just don't see them!

2.) At the start of every game, even if I play a game like epic or marathon, it says I only have 10turns left. When the 10 turns are over, the game's over and I have lost. I can continue of course, but without the victory possibility.

Anyone else had this or knows how I may fix it?

Thanks in advance for helping me out. I really want the patch to work, because all the other features seem really sweet, especially the marathon speed and the improved performance.

-VK

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

This is an anti-piracy feature and typically affects people using unauthorized copies of the game.

6. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Both of these are deliberate anti-piracy features, and only affect cracked or pirated copies of the game. Get a legitimate copy and stop using no-cd cracks, and you won't have these problems.

7. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

I use them so I don't have to put wear and tear on the disk, nothing like that happens.

8. dpaajones

dpaajones Old England Forever

"Wear and tear on the disk" - oh don't be ridiculous! :rolleyes:

9. Civrules

Civrules We the People

Moderator Action: Reminder: CivFanatics does not tolerate piracy. I don't care if you are using it to... reduce "wear and tear" or for anything else. The fact is they are illegal and we will not put up with it.
    Shylock and VemuKhaham - both of you are warned.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

10. reggie14

reggie14 Chieftain

While I too suspect that VemuKhaham is probably pirating the game, I take offense to the idea that anyone using CD-images or no-cd cracks must be pirating the game. There are many legitimate uses (albeit questionably legal, due to the DMCA) for such tools. Perhaps you are right that if the discs are properly used the risk of "wear and tear" is minimal, but I know I don't treat my discs perfectly. They often sit on top of my computer case sliding around getting scratched.

I hate it when game companies require the CDs to be in for no reason other than to prevent piracy. It doesn't work that well anyway, since there are usually those cracks around. In fact, I'd much rather put up with some sort of MS-style activation than have to put in the CD each time I ran the game, although I bet many/most of you would disagree.

11. Nolofinwë

Nolofinwë Chieftain

If this one is so great, the next one will be better right?

I rate it a 9.5 on a scale from 1-10

Moderator Action: Merged two posts

12. Gr3yL3gion

Gr3yL3gion Voice of Madness

I've stopped play almost half a year back, any significance changes for singleplayer in this patch?

13. cabert

cabert Big mouth

I can't ploay more than 10 turns of scenario games.
    I have a legitimate copy (french DVD version, for the record), have it in the drive when i play and can play normal, epic or whatever other games AFAIK without any problem.
    What's the trouble with the scenario? (hard to beat washington with georges III in 10 turns, still won a time victory :mischief:)

14. SPQR300

SPQR300 Deity

Lol, these symptoms are interesting :D I think I will crack the game just to see these bugs :D

15. cabert

cabert Big mouth

can you play the scenario (american separtionism, whatever its name) more than 10 turns?
    Check this, you don't even need to crack the game :sad:

16. agoodfella

agoodfella Prince

Hey guys,

I haven't played Civ IV in about three months - and haven't visited Civfanatics either - sorry but i don't have time to wade through post after post...

Quick Q: is this patch worth installing and does it make the game playable?

Thanks

17. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Is it worth installing? - Yes.

Does it make the game playable? - Without knowing the specs of your computer and the problems you were having, no meaningful comment is possible.

18. mikehunt

mikehunt Warlord

I finally came back to the civ4 forum after a long time and saw the patch
    I'll give civ4 another try
    I went back to Cvi3 with the RAR mod due to civ4 coming to a crawl once I got to the later part of the modern age and started fielding tanks
    and this is on a pretty decent system (gig of ram, 3.2ghz P4, 128mb geforce 6200)

19. Michelb

Michelb Chieftain

Hey guys,

I have a problem with civilization 4 and hope someone can help me.
    The game is running quite normal, but around the time ad 0300 in the game he is crashing, the game quit and return to windows. Have somebody else the same problem? What can I do to end this problem?

Thanks

20. morrisypg

morrisypg Chieftain

Has Anyone answered this?/?? I am having the same problem and have the Russian/English Version.....