Civ4 Realism Mod (Extended Gameplay and tweaks)

dbkblk said:
The whole into the Text Folder ! I'm near to finish !
I will send you a word document with all my changes and theirs exact positions. And also the xml translated ! ok ?
EDIT: I make this for you won't have to be tired in pasting it ^^

Thank you! Presumably all the Firaxis stuff has already been translated, so I assume you're translating all those things added by various mods.

--Kristine

- Removed riflemans (and redcoats) +25% vs. cavalry bonus (a bonus against a moving target, wtf?!)

Actually rifleman and redcoats were very effective against cavalry. When confronted by a cavalry charge they would adopt a infantry square formation. This consisted of a hollow square facing our on all side with fixed bayonets.

Once formed cavalry had almost no effect against it. During the battle of Waterloo the British adopted four rank squares and withstood eleven unsupported cavalry charges. The idea was to fire volleys either by file or by rank at the last possible second. It was even possible to trap cavalry charges with companies of infantry taking up infantry square formation and manoeuvre to mass fire. Think of a chess board but with gaps - the cavalry would be funneled around the squares and meet up with yet more infantry squares.

Now perhaps you understand why Civ 4 gave riflemen and redcoats +25% against cavalry :)

Regards

Nem

In support of _C4_Nemesis' comments, during the Peninsular War, at the Battle of Buçaco (27 Sep 1810), the British Light Division, in four squares, retreated over two miles while being repeatedly charged by French dragoons and cuirassiers. The Light Division, admittedly an elite unit, took fewer than 200 casualities during the retreat. After that battle, the French 8th and 12 Cuiassier Regiments were amalgamated into one regiment because of their heavy casualties.

Napoleonic period infantry, particularly British redcoats, were quite effective against cavalry.

I have a weird problem with 1.52 version of civ 4..

Everything loads fine, till i load realism mod. Game starts, but there a no texts.. what so ever. Otherwise it seems to work..

Any idea what's causing this?

Tried:
#2. some mods dont mix well. We all edit the same files, and my mod specifically is a major overhaul of nearly every single XML file there is. So, first things first; If your getting errors, backup your customAssets folder, and then delete it (dont worry, civ4 will re-create it empty).

- Tried this. Nothing.

#3. Next, if that doesnt work, delete your Civ4 Cache folder.

- Could'nt find this one.. :blush: There are custommaps, custommods and then logs.. no cache..?

#4. NEXT, if that doesnt work, again make sure you have no other mods in customAssets

- There, i couldn find any trace of any of the mods.

The originals: Desert War and Greek World works fine.

Looks like this:
http://irc-galleria.net/view.php?nick=Raksu_03&image_id=27089369

is there a working download for this?

*nm I found one

also is there any chance to just have the combat changes? I don't really like most of the changes except the combat ones...or is there another mod that has that?

I have a suggestion, you could also call it a "cry for help":
It annoys me like hell that it's not possible in Civilization 4 to gain air superiority: When I send jet fighters against a city defended by other fighters, it gets damaged or shot down in about 95% of all cases - there is just a minor chance of damaging the defending fighter, even though it's the SAME unit (or even weaker, like the WW2 fighter) ! :mad:
I can't think of anything in Civ4 that is more unrealistic and thus, it's in my opinion a perfect topic for this thread. Does anybody know what influences these interception odds? If nobody in this thread, I fear it's not possible at all to fix it...

I don't understand. If we put this in our mod file in the program files/Firaxix fodler will it overwrite some files in the My Games/ custom asset folder or just not work when I have the mod loaded? I don't mind giving it a shot but I don't want to try it if it will alter the other mods I have permanently (like advisor mods).

I just want to comment on your nuclear submarine. They are not quiet because they are powered by a reactor, but because they are modern. And that's compared to a WWII submarine. If you compare them to a modern but conventional submarine (not built in US but I know Germany, Sweden and a number of other countries produce them) they are actually quite noisy because of the cooling needed for the reactor. It's probably next to impossible to create a nuclear submarine running as silent as a conventional one with an electrical engine. Diesel engines are noisy, but they aren't used in combat.

They are certainly bigger, faster and can carry more weapons and units, so most of the stats are fine. I think the chance of withdrawal should be lower though. They aren't going to outrun the surface vessel, what matters is silence and sneaking away.

Stora said:
I just want to comment on your nuclear submarine. They are not quiet because they are powered by a reactor, but because they are modern. And that's compared to a WWII submarine. If you compare them to a modern but conventional submarine (not built in US but I know Germany, Sweden and a number of other countries produce them) they are actually quite noisy because of the cooling needed for the reactor. It's probably next to impossible to create a nuclear submarine running as silent as a conventional one with an electrical engine. Diesel engines are noisy, but they aren't used in combat.

They are certainly bigger, faster and can carry more weapons and units, so most of the stats are fine. I think the chance of withdrawal should be lower though. They aren't going to outrun the surface vessel, what matters is silence and sneaking away.

There, are new developments going on. In physics we know sound it created when the air vibrates. In a vacuum there is no sound, the pakis are pretty close to making real silent subs. Most of the info is top secrete, but the basic understanding is they are making noisy in sealed off enclosures or something. So they can create a vacuum in them and = null out the sound.

Top Bottom