Civ5 PDF manual is here!

Quoted from Civ V manual - "We hope you’re proud of yourself, you big bully!"

The manual is riddled with childish comments and notations, since when has this game been targeted at 8-13yr audience? Most of the players I seen on Civ Fanatics are adults.

I don't find it amusing and i've seen it in the Civilopedia too (read:GDR). I don't see the point in it, I think most people would just appreciate some professional writing.

TL;DR - manual written by idiots?

I agree. Seeing mild swearing, mistakes and crude abbreviations ('em instead of them) seemed pretty unprofessional to me. Makes me worry about the general dumbing down of society when that sort of thing gets accepted.

There are plenty of people who are nostalgic for the Good Old Days, before games became big business and developers got marketing departments, when manuals were filled with witty comments. I think they outnumber people like smackthewise, who thinks a sense of humor is something you grow out of when you turn 14.

From Manual (p. 71 English version):
"Citizens can work tiles that are within two tiles’ distance from the city and that are within your civilization’s borders"

I thought cities were able to work 3 tiles' in each direction, has this changed?

Manual is wrong on that. And on lots of other things.

I like having been given the manual early, and don't mind the mistakes at this stage of production; but this would all be a a little embarrassing for Firaxis if they don't fix this before the actual release.

i happen to like the various swearing, witty comments and childish language. its actually a fun thing to read over and over, rather than a dull completely professional manual.

Too bad Hitler is not in the game, I would like to see him throwing tantrums during diplomatic encounters :)

i happen to like the various swearing, witty comments and childish language. its actually a fun thing to read over and over, rather than a dull completely professional manual.

I completely disagree with you. But, since it's PDF, I suppose that and the civilopedia can be edited to suit everyone's personal taste.

sorry, but disliking swear words seem outdated to me. whats so bad about one or two swears in the entire manual? everyone ages 13 and up knows some of them. i knew mine since 8 or 9.

professionalism makes me want to puke. what is so bad about not being professional? sheesh.

sorry, but disliking swear words seem outdated to me. whats so bad about one or two swears in the entire manual? everyone ages 13 and up knows some of them. i knew mine since 8 or 9.

professionalism makes me want to puke. what is so bad about not being professional? sheesh.

Just the other side of social decay lies the state of nature.

Trust me. You don't wanna go there.

im aware of the decay, but i am allowed to loosen up from time to time.

i dislike professionalism, because of the massive change in persoanlity involved. i can do it, but i dont have to like it.

I don't much care one way or another about the manual's style. That's the choice of the developers. I will state that if they think they have to talk down to their audience, perhaps they have an estimate of the general age group for the Civ titles that differs from ours.

Top Bottom