Civ5 PDF manual is here!

What the heck is that pic? That's harder to figure out than Civ5's bulding icons in max res.

Seriously? I mean, really? You honestly don't know?

Oh, man, it's the pylons thing all over again..

No, memes are easier to miss than huge cinema blockbuster/cult classic career-propeling movies.

No, memes are easier to miss than huge cinema blockbuster/cult classic career-propeling movies.

That was meant to have humour, just to be sure. Sometimes I don't like to include smiles for they spoil it.
Spoiler :
:)

Though I've read LoTR including Hobbit and love it, I'm yet to take the time to see the movies. Actually I might just wait for the Hobbit movie so I can see it all in sequence, like I have read it.

p.s. So you're sure that pic isn't actually portraying embroidery of a rug/mat or something?

So you're sure that pic isn't actually portraying embroidery of a rug/mat or something?

It's there for the recognizing value. Here's a zoom in.

Happy now?
Spoiler :
:lol:

Sorry if this has been posted before, but the manual says that six or seven countries border France, but I count eight: Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Andorra, Spain.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but the manual says that six or seven countries border France, but I count eight: Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Andorra, Spain.

You forgot Poland! (not really).

In my opinion popular music in general and all popular American entertainment is about as artistic and culturally enriching and enlightening as ancient Roman gladiatorial combat if not even less so. Most of it is complete garbage lacking any sort of direction or meaning. I recall feeling particularly disgusted when somebody suggested that Lady Gaga should be a 'Great Artist' in Civilization V. The notion is both absurd and offensive to real art and real culture. Why? Her 'art' is little more than grotesque shock value trickery and sexual exploitation of both herself and most other people in her videos (in one she played a 'nun' with no covering over her legs -save for the loins- and ate rosaries...) and filthy 'modern artists' like her have no place counted among great writers, painters, musicians and thinkers of years past. It would be like having modern rap artists as great artists: is "Soulja" Boy at all comparable to Robert Frost or Constantine Cavafy? One would be a fool to say so.

While I agree with you, I suspect the remark about Lady Gaga was placed in to provoke just this kind of response. ;)

In any case, "low culture" and "high culture" were a lot closer before the former got co-opted by commercial interests in the late 19th century, but that's food for some other discussion.

Unless, of course, there really *is* some truth to the rumor that designer fashions and boy bands have a demonic origin.

Interesting comments, all! Thanks for posting them. Please forgive my long-winded responses. It's just great to see a discussion in this forum that isn't about whether X civilization isn't better represented by free Y or free Z.

Though Centurio takes it a bit extreme, there's a point to what he says: up until last century artists used to be quite poor, many whom we regard as legends today couldn't meet their basic needs.

Many were also quite rich. The 19th century image of the starving artist was pretty much limited to that century, and the artist's divorce from general Euro-American culture. There's been some research done, for instance, on incomes and life expectancies of composers over the last 400 years. They were quite high for the educated middle class until the 19th century hit, dropped precipitously, and rose above pre-19th century levels in the 20th. A lot had to do with the traditional employment of the composer by nobility and civic organizations, which declined in the 19th century. In the 20th, new venues (and government-funded programs) appeared.

The Beatles are possibly the first legend so big as to be hard to find someone who doesn't know them, who yet lived to see their own legend. That was new. That played with people's ambitions.

There have been many legends in the past, but they were limited to time frames of roughly 100 years or so, and to specific sets of nations. Franz Liszt, for example, was internationally known as a 19th century concert pianist (and secondarily as a composer) who became a legend throughout Europe and the US in his lifetime. Women threw themselves at him, and tried to cut off locks of his hair. The wealthy and powerful sought to become his friend. Cheap editions of his works were sold out everywhere, and his concert tours were always triumphs. Was he the Beatles of his day? Perhaps the Beatles were the Franz Liszt of theirs. ;)

Today the fame and fortune draws many who are not in for artistic expression. I actually think Lady Gaga is a good artist in that she has something to express, there is a world of worse examples to point out.

Complete agreement. The only difference being that when the Beatles came along, rock music still wasn't an Industry, much less an Industry whose sleek product was a matter of packaging rather than content. The Monkees were just ahead, however, and so were many other, similar groups who (for the most part, and at the time) didn't play or compose their own stuff.

For what the game means by "culture," Lady Gaga really is a better choice than, say, David Foster Wallace. And she's certainly of a piece with Elvis, for whom the franchise has always had a penchant.

Interesting comments, all! Thanks for posting them. Please forgive my long-winded responses. It's just great to see a discussion in this forum that isn't about whether X civilization isn't better represented by free Y or free Z.

Many were also quite rich. The 19th century image of the starving artist was pretty much limited to that century, and the artist's divorce from general Euro-American culture.
Thanks, that's great to know!

There have been many legends in the past, but they were limited to time frames of roughly 100 years or so, and to specific sets of nations. Franz Liszt, for example, was internationally known as a 19th century concert pianist (and secondarily as a composer) who became a legend throughout Europe and the US in his lifetime. Women threw themselves at him, and tried to cut off locks of his hair. The wealthy and powerful sought to become his friend. Cheap editions of his works were sold out everywhere, and his concert tours were always triumphs. Was he the Beatles of his day? Perhaps the Beatles were the Franz Liszt of theirs. ;)

It's a good point, since we're yet to reach the 100-year mark! But given the internet, I suppose the Beatles are gonna grow in legend after they've gone, and are to be known at least until something even bigger comes around (which haven't and may never do again, due to how the Industry has changed).

When you think they were the boy band of their time, or something to the effect, you can't help but feel those decades represented an unusually high point for recording.

It was mentioned somewhere else, perhaps in a preview several months ago. Perhaps they don't consider Andorra and Monaco to be countries?

edit: no it was on the website

It's a good point, since we're yet to reach the 100-year mark! But given the internet, I suppose the Beatles are gonna grow in legend after they've gone, and are to be known at least until something even bigger comes around (which haven't and may never do again, due to how the Industry has changed).

When you think they were the boy band of their time, or something to the effect, you can't help but feel those decades represented an unusually high point for recording.

It's amazing they held together, with as much talent as they had, for as long as they did. Jazz records did it for even longer, thanks to a few dogged pioneers and their labels (Blue Note, Xanadu, Savoy), but until many years later jazz was a very small seeker genre. Shame the big business types need to move in and take over every new business type that succeeds--just because in the long run, many of the really good artists get driven out.

Quoted from Civ V manual - "We hope you’re proud of yourself, you big bully!"

The manual is riddled with childish comments and notations, since when has this game been targeted at 8-13yr audience? Most of the players I seen on Civ Fanatics are adults.

I don't find it amusing and i've seen it in the Civilopedia too (read:GDR). I don't see the point in it, I think most people would just appreciate some professional writing.

TL;DR - manual written by idiots?

Top Bottom