1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 PDF manual is here!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by krunsh, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

Seriously? I mean, really? You honestly don't know?

2. Szpilman

Szpilman Void Co. Chairman

Oh, man, it's the pylons thing all over again..

3. Venereus

No, memes are easier to miss than huge cinema blockbuster/cult classic career-propeling movies.

4. Szpilman

That was meant to have humour, just to be sure. Sometimes I don't like to include smiles for they spoil it.
    Spoiler :
    :)

Though I've read LoTR including Hobbit and love it, I'm yet to take the time to see the movies. Actually I might just wait for the Hobbit movie so I can see it all in sequence, like I have read it.

p.s. So you're sure that pic isn't actually portraying embroidery of a rug/mat or something?

5. Venereus

It's there for the recognizing value. Here's a zoom in.

Happy now?
    Spoiler :
    :lol:

6. Centurio

Centurio Warlord

Not until I get my applesauce and medicine.

7. Szpilman

So much so I've made the smilie spoiler thingie my sig.

8. ElMikkino

ElMikkino Warlord

Sorry if this has been posted before, but the manual says that six or seven countries border France, but I count eight: Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Andorra, Spain.

9. Venereus

You forgot Poland! (not really).

10. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

He has a positive workplace attitude! :goodjob:

11. KIEJ.MANIK

KIEJ.MANIK Tlaneloli

Finally, the full social policy tree :goodjob:

12. Soro

Soro Warlord

While I agree with you, I suspect the remark about Lady Gaga was placed in to provoke just this kind of response. ;)

In any case, "low culture" and "high culture" were a lot closer before the former got co-opted by commercial interests in the late 19th century, but that's food for some other discussion.

Unless, of course, there really *is* some truth to the rumor that designer fashions and boy bands have a demonic origin.

13. Soro

Soro Warlord

Interesting comments, all! Thanks for posting them. Please forgive my long-winded responses. It's just great to see a discussion in this forum that isn't about whether X civilization isn't better represented by free Y or free Z.

Many were also quite rich. The 19th century image of the starving artist was pretty much limited to that century, and the artist's divorce from general Euro-American culture. There's been some research done, for instance, on incomes and life expectancies of composers over the last 400 years. They were quite high for the educated middle class until the 19th century hit, dropped precipitously, and rose above pre-19th century levels in the 20th. A lot had to do with the traditional employment of the composer by nobility and civic organizations, which declined in the 19th century. In the 20th, new venues (and government-funded programs) appeared.

There have been many legends in the past, but they were limited to time frames of roughly 100 years or so, and to specific sets of nations. Franz Liszt, for example, was internationally known as a 19th century concert pianist (and secondarily as a composer) who became a legend throughout Europe and the US in his lifetime. Women threw themselves at him, and tried to cut off locks of his hair. The wealthy and powerful sought to become his friend. Cheap editions of his works were sold out everywhere, and his concert tours were always triumphs. Was he the Beatles of his day? Perhaps the Beatles were the Franz Liszt of theirs. ;)

Complete agreement. The only difference being that when the Beatles came along, rock music still wasn't an Industry, much less an Industry whose sleek product was a matter of packaging rather than content. The Monkees were just ahead, however, and so were many other, similar groups who (for the most part, and at the time) didn't play or compose their own stuff.

14. Matthias Wasser

Matthias Wasser Chieftain

For what the game means by "culture," Lady Gaga really is a better choice than, say, David Foster Wallace. And she's certainly of a piece with Elvis, for whom the franchise has always had a penchant.

15. nody

nody Emperor

That's what I mean! They should be in the game. Compared to Civ IV it's very skinned down.

16. Szpilman

Thanks, that's great to know!

It's a good point, since we're yet to reach the 100-year mark! But given the internet, I suppose the Beatles are gonna grow in legend after they've gone, and are to be known at least until something even bigger comes around (which haven't and may never do again, due to how the Industry has changed).

When you think they were the boy band of their time, or something to the effect, you can't help but feel those decades represented an unusually high point for recording.

17. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

It was mentioned somewhere else, perhaps in a preview several months ago. Perhaps they don't consider Andorra and Monaco to be countries?

edit: no it was on the website

18. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

Awesome initiative!

Kudos to greg

19. Soro

Soro Warlord

It's amazing they held together, with as much talent as they had, for as long as they did. Jazz records did it for even longer, thanks to a few dogged pioneers and their labels (Blue Note, Xanadu, Savoy), but until many years later jazz was a very small seeker genre. Shame the big business types need to move in and take over every new business type that succeeds--just because in the long run, many of the really good artists get driven out.

20. smackthewise

smackthewise Prince

Quoted from Civ V manual - "We hope you’re proud of yourself, you big bully!"

The manual is riddled with childish comments and notations, since when has this game been targeted at 8-13yr audience? Most of the players I seen on Civ Fanatics are adults.

I don't find it amusing and i've seen it in the Civilopedia too (read:GDR). I don't see the point in it, I think most people would just appreciate some professional writing.

TL;DR - manual written by idiots?