Civ5 PDF manual is here!

From page 47 ...

"Ranged Units
Ranged units are units that can attack enemies in adjacent hexes and in hexes one or more spaces away. The distance a unit can attack is determined by its “Range” statistic. The strength of its ranged attack is determined by its “Ranged Combat” statistic. An Archer unit, for example, has a Combat Strength of 7, a Ranged Combat Strength of 8, and a Range of 2. It can attack enemy units one or two hexes away with a Strength of 7. However, if an enemy unit attacks it, it defends with its Combat Strength of 4. Note that Ranged units always employ Ranged combat when attacking another unit, even if that unit is adjacent. The Ranged unit uses its Combat Strength only when it is defending against an attack by another unit."

This isn't supposed to make sense, is it? :confused: :crazyeye:

Anyone know what is should really say?

dV

I think this is a major typo and they mean to say that it "range attacks" with a strength of 8 and defends with a "melee defense" of 7. Or maybe they want to condfuse us...:hmm:

""Ranged Units
Ranged units are units that can attack enemies in adjacent hexes and in hexes one or more spaces away. The distance a unit can attack is determined by its “Range” statistic. The strength of its ranged attack is determined by its “Ranged Combat” statistic. An Archer unit, for example, has a Combat Strength of 7, a Ranged Combat Strength of 8, and a Range of 2. It can attack enemy units one or two hexes away with a Strength of 7. However, if an enemy unit attacks it, it defends with its Combat Strength of 4. Note that Ranged units always employ Ranged combat when attacking another unit, even if that unit is adjacent. The Ranged unit uses its Combat Strength only when it is defending against an attack by another unit."

Yea, its apparant that this is a typo. As to your question of whether anyone knows what is it supposed to say, I know exactly what it is supposed to say. Just look at the unit list on page 208 of the manual. There, it gives the correct values which are 4 combat strength and 6 ranged combat strength, with a range of 2. So, using the correct info to edit the paragraph you are asking about yields the following:

Ranged Units
Ranged units are units that can attack enemies in adjacent hexes and in hexes one or more spaces away. The distance a unit can attack is determined by its “Range” statistic. The strength of its ranged attack is determined by its “Ranged Combat” statistic. An Archer unit, for example, has a Combat Strength of [[4]], a Ranged Combat Strength of [[6]], and a Range of 2. It can attack enemy units one or two hexes away with a Strength of [[6]]. However, if an enemy unit attacks it, it defends with its Combat Strength of 4. Note that Ranged units always employ Ranged combat when attacking another unit, even if that unit is adjacent. The Ranged unit uses its Combat Strength only when it is defending against an attack by another unit.

No pictures, am I right?

In my opinion popular music in general and all popular American entertainment is about as artistic and culturally enriching and enlightening as ancient Roman gladiatorial combat ... complete garbage ... I recall feeling particularly disgusted ... both absurd and offensive to real art and real culture. ... Her 'art' is little more than grotesque shock value trickery and sexual exploitation ... filthy 'modern artists' like her have no place counted among great writers, painters, musicians and thinkers of years past ... like having modern rap artists as great artists ... at all comparable to Robert Frost or Constantine Cavafy? ...

In 100 years, anyone for some reason coming across this post is going to laugh, just as we laugh at any rant against modern culture from a hundred years ago.

Anyway, I guess if you want to live in the past, then Civilization is the game for you.

In my opinion popular music in general and all popular American entertainment is about as artistic and culturally enriching and enlightening as ancient Roman gladiatorial combat if not even less so. Most of it is complete garbage lacking any sort of direction or meaning. I recall feeling particularly disgusted when somebody suggested that Lady Gaga should be a 'Great Artist' in Civilization V. The notion is both absurd and offensive to real art and real culture. Why? Her 'art' is little more than grotesque shock value trickery and sexual exploitation of both herself and most other people in her videos (in one she played a 'nun' with no covering over her legs -save for the loins- and ate rosaries...) and filthy 'modern artists' like her have no place counted among great writers, painters, musicians and thinkers of years past.
Okay, Grandpa, time for your nap. :)
It would be like having modern rap artists as great artists: is "Soulja" Boy at all comparable to Robert Frost or Constantine Cavafy? One would be a fool to say so.

Soulja Boy, no. But LL Cool J, Grandmaster Flash, Chuck D, or KRS-One maybe so.

Is it just me or does this manual look like it was constructed by an admnistrator who knows nothing about civ 5 or other strategy games....

Though Centurio takes it a bit extreme, there's a point to what he says: up until last century artists used to be quite poor, many whom we regard as legends today couldn't meet their basic needs.

The Beatles are possibly the first legend so big as to be hard to find someone who doesn't know them, who yet lived to see their own legend. That was new. That played with people's ambitions.

Today the fame and fortune draws many who are not in for artistic expression. I actually think Lady Gaga is a good artist in that she has something to express, there is a world of worse examples to point out.

The Beatles are possibly the first legend so big as to be hard to find someone who doesn't know them, who yet lived to see their own legend. That was new. That played with people's ambitions.

Elvis?

In my opinion popular music in general and all popular American entertainment is about as artistic and culturally enriching and enlightening as ancient Roman gladiatorial combat if not even less so. Most of it is complete garbage lacking any sort of direction or meaning. I recall feeling particularly disgusted when somebody suggested that Lady Gaga should be a 'Great Artist' in Civilization V. The notion is both absurd and offensive to real art and real culture. Why? Her 'art' is little more than grotesque shock value trickery and sexual exploitation of both herself and most other people in her videos (in one she played a 'nun' with no covering over her legs -save for the loins- and ate rosaries...) and filthy 'modern artists' like her have no place counted among great writers, painters, musicians and thinkers of years past. It would be like having modern rap artists as great artists: is "Soulja" Boy at all comparable to Robert Frost or Constantine Cavafy? One would be a fool to say so.

For the purposes of what the manual described as culture, Lady Gaga is in fact a cultural influence, like it or not. It might be a F'd up culture, but it's still culture.:deal:

"Anakin, it's over, I have the higher ground"
Nice quote :lol:. But that's the defensive bonus we've always had. I meant this:
Spoiler :

End scene of the Two Towers, LotR.

Happiness bucket? Culture bomb? This is the most informal version of Civ to date. (Just an observation.)

A Special Improvement must be worked in order to have any effect. A Special Improvement
can be pillaged and repaired like any other Improvement. If constructed atop a resource,
the Special Improvement will not provide access to that resource.

So if we build a special improvement on top of Oil or Uranium, it looks like we'll probably end up destroying it. This is a terrible decision on the part of 2K because it punishes the players for what was probably be the weakest use of Great People otherwise.

If the fiendish barbarians successfully attack one of your cities, they “plunder” some of your gold and you retain the city.

Do they have to take the city or just attack it? I'm guessing the latter because it would be hard for a barbarian to manage 20 hp worth of damage.

If you’ve lost your original capital, but still possess other cities, you can still win another type of victory: culture, scientific, or diplomatic. However, you cannot win a conquest victory until and unless you recapture your own original capital.

This makes it sound like Domination requires not only that the capitals were captured, but remain captured. I thought I'd read other things that contradicted this.

Gunships can move over all terrain types including mountains and ice, at a cost of 1 MP
each. They can also move over coastal waters at the same price. They cannot enter deep
water unless they embark.

Quite a change from Civ IV.

Another note: Siege units through Artillery require setting up to fire, except Cannons, which seems odd. Mistake?

The Bombardment promotion seems a no brainer versus Accuracy: they provide the same bonus through the first 2 levels, and Bombardment applies to all land units, while Accuracy only applies to land units in open terrain. Typo?

Top Bottom