Civ5 PDF manual is here!

sorry, but disliking swear words seem outdated to me. whats so bad about one or two swears in the entire manual? everyone ages 13 and up knows some of them. i knew mine since 8 or 9.

professionalism makes me want to puke. what is so bad about not being professional? sheesh.

It's all about context. If it was a blog, a preview that was trying to hype the game, a review etc. then all that fun stuff is fine. A few lighthearted comments in the manual are also fine, but there's a certain standard that is expected from professional documentation/communication. If you went to a doctor that was unprofessional, making snide/smartalec comments it wouldn't instill much confidence in them, but if you were friends with them you wouldn't want them to act professional while you were hanging out.

By letting things slide you'll get to the point where the manual states:

"u can pwn ur nmes with ur roflcopters, lol"

It's all about context. If it was a blog, a preview that was trying to hype the game, a review etc. then all that fun stuff is fine. A few lighthearted comments in the manual are also fine, but there's a certain standard that is expected from professional documentation/communication. If you went to a doctor that was unprofessional, making snide/smartalec comments it wouldn't instill much confidence in them, but if you were friends with them you wouldn't want them to act professional while you were hanging out.

Doctor vs Game designer. Different expectations, I feel different when I approach them too.

It will never happen for your beloved Civ franchise.

certain standard that is expected from professional documentation/communication

Agreed. You guys have gauged me wrong, I'm the least serious person I know and doubly so in my Office. Professional writing doesn't mean "business" language or being cold-hard serious, but when you're releasing a document like this then surely it has gone through a proof read at minimum?

I don't think it's an elitist view, just seeing the degradation of language everywhere I go now irks me. And Civ is serious business, razing a city with millions of people cannot be done light-heartedly :D

And Smackthewise is just a play on words from Zac, i've used it since I was about 12 :)

i have no such standards to professionalism. except my own. anyone can be as unprofessional as they want, as long as they get the job done.

I don't think it's an elitist view, just seeing the degradation of language everywhere I go now irks me.

Wow, you don't even go a full sentence before contradicting your denial of elitism. :p Nobody in the history of history has proclaimed the degradation of language without then telling kids to get off their lawn. Language is not something that attains perfection and then decays.

And what does this have to do with a manual calling you a "big bully" or making quite appropriate use of the phrase "pissed off" anyway?

Wow, you don't even go a full sentence before contradicting your denial of elitism

:lol: I think there is a broad ground between the lay person and the elitist, I would be somewhere around the middle. :p I ain't no elitist!?

I'm not taking any of this very seriously, I merely disliked the way the manual was written and felt like throwing in my 2 cents worth. I am not prepared to to debate the state of the English language :(

¿Alguien habla castellano?

Translation to my native tongue is way even scary that an horror movie. I searched through all the credits hoping to find who made it... and there's no reference to the team.

That's why i prefer to read in english (i even bought my Dark Ages: Vampire original and not the lousy translation)... ¿Explotar un hexágono? (for work an hexagon... imagine reading "explode an hexagon")

I just have one issue with Bazaar unique building, duplicating special resources... :confused:

¿Alguien habla castellano?

Translation to my native tongue is way even scary that an horror movie. I searched through all the credits hoping to find who made it... and there's no reference to the team.

That's why i prefer to read in english (i even bought my Dark Ages: Vampire original and not the lousy translation)... ¿Explotar un hexágono? (for work an hexagon... imagine reading "explode an hexagon")

I just have one issue with Bazaar unique building, duplicating special resources... :confused:

I'm chilean too!!! (tell me your steam id). I do the same thing. Spanish translations are always awful and usually full of mistakes. I play all my games in English.

perhaps they did that to increase the dominance of English.

Right, so the Civ 5 manual as it is is a step in the direction of social decay and a return to caveman attitude.

Am I even reading this?

I was going to say something but... I'll let you do the talking.

I like your style.

Wow, you don't even go a full sentence before contradicting your denial of elitism. :p Nobody in the history of history has proclaimed the degradation of language without then telling kids to get off their lawn.
Breath deeply and relax. I don't have a dog in this hunt, so please take it as an objective observation that you're overreacting here. So the guy is picky about language. Let him be picky in peace, no need to pick a fight with him.

I'm chilean too!!! (tell me your steam id). I do the same thing. Spanish translations are always awful and usually full of mistakes. I play all my games in English.

The Spanish version has more mistakes than the English version :crazyeye::eek::crazyeye:...
so much for my plan to read the Spanish version and count it as homework time:D
(I'm in Spanish II)

¿Es tan difícil encontrar a alguien que hable castellano como idioma nativo en Estados Unidos?

Actually, i'm sure is quite easy. And i don't think a good translation costs more than a marginal of the budget.

I'm reading through french and it's almost as scary.

Quality Assurance Team
Spoiler :

QA Manager
Scott Wittbecker
QA Lead
Grant Frazier
Testers
Michael Argo
Justice Avery
Matthew Beach
David Cerny
Daron Carlock
Jim Crawley
Pat Glascoe
Mike Lemon
Patrick Miller

Frankenstein Test Group
Spoiler :

Abyss
ainwood
AlazkanAssassin
arcan
bernie14
Bob Thomas
bobT
C.Roland
ChrisWithers
claudelu
colonelmustard
dacole
Dale
DanQ
danthrax
Dominae
ekmek
freakmon
GeneralMatt
Gogf
Grey Fox
Gyathaar
Hugin
Impaler[WrG]
jdog5000
jmoskie
jobe
Kael
karadoc
KillerClowns
Locutus
loki1232
Lord_Phan
magnus333
Meredith
Ming
monoha
Nikis-Knight
Nikolai
Nolan
notyoueither
OgreBG
Opera
Peachrocks
Pfeffersack
Primax
rah
robin-uiowa
Scott-DTA
seZereth
SirPartyMan
snafusmith
snoopy369
Solver
TheMeInTeam
totallycres
Valkrionn
Velociryx
vondrack
WarningU2
Wilboman
xienwolf
yin26
Ztaesek

I see lots of familiar names. :D
What exactly is the Frankenstein group though?
Well, from the results, apparently it was a group intended to produce a Frankenstein monster! :eek: And for some here, they achieved a spectacular success at that! :mischief:

OK, ironic humor aside, given some of the names in that group, I can only imagine that many of the issues being raised on these forums now were identified and reported to Firaxis/2K, who presumably said "thanks for your input" while feeding the shredder.

Or, maybe this group was so busy reporting and fixing the "dinosaurs" that we are not seeing (things much bigger than bugs) that the relativey "minor" glitches that remain could not be addressed?

dV

... which would have been more sincere and straightforward given the "new market" that has been targeted with "streamlining"...:rolleyes:

I hear you can view the Civ5 manual in Steam itself - is this true? All I'm finding is a link to the PDF file online.

I hear you can view the Civ5 manual in Steam itself - is this true? All I'm finding is a link to the PDF file online.

If you shift tab while the game is running, and open up the web browser you may be able to view the pdf using that. I'm not sure though, I've never tried to read a pdf using the in-game browser before.

Top Bottom