Civ5 Pre-order Bonus and DLC

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Last Saturday, Direct2Drive announced Civ5 is available for pre-order on their site. They are giving away Civilization III Complete and a ""2 civilizations + scenario" DLC as pre-order bonus when the DLC becomes available in late 2010.

2K Greg posted on the forum yesterday about this direct2drive pre-order bonus, confirming the DLC pack will be available for separate purchase by anyone.

1. The "2 civilizations + scenario" Premium DLC mentioned on the Direct2Drive preorder page will be purchasable separately by anyone. The D2D preorder bonus is that they give it to you for free. I do not know what the price of this DLC will be.

2. I am getting details for you about what the "Cradle of Civilization" Map Packs are that a couple retailers are offering as bonuses. As soon as I know I'll update this post and let you guys know.

3. We're putting together a webpage to detail for you what the different preorder bonuses are from the different retailers. We want you to be able to make an informed choice, and so soon we'll have that page for you to reference to see what all of your options are.

In your face late 90's! Not so tough with your full content releases anymore eh? What? I can't hear you from under your non-copyprotected internet-free media.

ok, so we know that Babylon is one of the DLC civs. Who's the other one, and why the hell can't 2k just combine everything in one "glorius grand package" instead of trying to squeeze every last cent out of John Q. Customer?

"2 civilizations + scenario" could be Babylon + 'Cradle of Civs' mappack that others are also offering, which would leave one more civ. If so, I wonder if those pieces would be available for download right away, or whether it will only be made available (outside the special editions) as one packaged DLC.

And I wish they would only have two (maybe three...) editions instead of each version having different bonuses.

Basic Civ
Civ + bonus(es), e.g. additional civs and maps
Civ + bonus(es) + figurines, fancy art book and everything else you can think of

I've been wanting to say this for a while. I've put more game hours into the Civ series than most other games combined. Civ 4 in particular is, in my mind, a masterpiece of a game.

With that said, I'd be willing to pay a pretty ridiculous price for the next Civ game. I imagine by the time I'm done collecting the DLCs I will probably have spent close to $100. This is far more than reasonable for a game that will last me many hundreds (thousands?) of hours of gameplay.

I don't care how they get my $100. If they wanted it up front, I'd gladly pay. If it benefits them to release a series of DLCs, I'll do it that way. I have absolutely no doubt that at some point in the future my $100 will have purchased all available game content (i.e. - even special bonus civs, or whatnot, will certainly be available to all players eventually).

And honestly, I want nothing more than for this game to be incredibly profitable, thereby ensuring future sequels and more add-ons. I trust the developers, and their marketing team, know exactly what they are doing in terms of maximizing their profit from this game. I applaud their efforts. Yes, it may all seem a little confusing now, but I guarantee each and every one of you that you WILL be playing this game with all available content within a year of it's release, and you will not have spent more than $100 to do so. The deal of the decade in my humble opinion.

So feel free to relax and enjoy the anticipation.

From the discussions thread on this topic:

The D2D version does indeed come with a bonus of 2 civilizations and a scenario. The deluxe edition comes with Babylon as you know, and that's in addition to the 2 other civilizations.

That is odd, why does Steam than not say they have 3 bonus civs if D2D has two and they have Babylon on top of those ?

Also, do we have any idea how many civs are in the most basic version of the game ? The website lists 18 civs, does this mean D2D comes with 20 and Steam deluxe with 21 civs ?

That is odd, why does Steam than not say they have 3 bonus civs if D2D has two and they have Babylon on top of those ?

Also, do we have any idea how many civs are in the most basic version of the game ? The website lists 18 civs, does this mean D2D comes with 20 and Steam deluxe with 21 civs ?
Steam and D2D both sell the Standard and Deluxe versions and both have different pre-order bonuses:

On D2D you can buy these configurations:
  • $59.95 for Deluxe* + pre-order DLC Bonus**
  • $49.95 for Standard + pre-order DLC bonus**
On Steam you can buy these configurations:
  • $59.95 for Deluxe* + pre-order Mappack Bonus***
  • $49.95 for Standard + pre-order Mappack Bonus***

*Deluxe = Standard + Babylon + soundtrack + behind the scenes video
**DLC Bonus = One free premium DLC Pack (An additional 2 Civs + scenario, Avail. late 2010) + Civ3 complete
***Mappack Bonus = One free Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia

So in terms of how many civs you get

18 - Steam Standard
19 - Steam Deluxe
20 - D2D Standard (18 until DLC is avail. later in the year)
21 - D2D Deluxe (19 until DLC is avail. later in the year)

I agree, this is the way I understood it, which is different from what 2K Greg said, who actually should know this kind of stuff - which is why I called his explanation odd ;)

I've been wanting to say this for a while. I've put more game hours into the Civ series than most other games combined. Civ 4 in particular is, in my mind, a masterpiece of a game.

With that said, I'd be willing to pay a pretty ridiculous price for the next Civ game. I imagine by the time I'm done collecting the DLCs I will probably have spent close to $100. This is far more than reasonable for a game that will last me many hundreds (thousands?) of hours of gameplay.

I don't care how they get my $100. If they wanted it up front, I'd gladly pay. If it benefits them to release a series of DLCs, I'll do it that way. I have absolutely no doubt that at some point in the future my $100 will have purchased all available game content (i.e. - even special bonus civs, or whatnot, will certainly be available to all players eventually).

And honestly, I want nothing more than for this game to be incredibly profitable, thereby ensuring future sequels and more add-ons. I trust the developers, and their marketing team, know exactly what they are doing in terms of maximizing their profit from this game. I applaud their efforts. Yes, it may all seem a little confusing now, but I guarantee each and every one of you that you WILL be playing this game with all available content within a year of it's release, and you will not have spent more than $100 to do so. The deal of the decade in my humble opinion.

"I would gladly pay 100$" "I trust the developers and their marketing team" Oh wow.. guys like you are the dream for every enterprise... and the reason why nowadays there is nearly no game, which offers the full content for the initial price .. but has tons of crappy DLC.

Furthermore you guys should think about this from a modder sight. If Civ 5 would be so easily moddable like they say, it would make no sense to offer extra civs. So my guess is, it will be very hard to impossible to proper make new civilizations.. which ruins a main point of modding imo.

I'd have to agree. This is looking like a way further line the pockets of 2k. Multiple ways to get additional goodies, but not "all" the goodies in 1 big package. it also looks like mods are now going to cost you money if you want to play them IMO.

it also looks like mods are now going to cost you money if you want to play them IMO.

With all due respect, 2K would have to be extremely stupid to do such a monstrously evil act. Sure they are trying to milk us dry with bite-sized DLC's (my personal hope is they'll eventually get bundled in some kind of super-deal, perhaps a year on from now), but it is a whole other level of nasty to charge money for content provided by volunteers. There might even be some legal problems.

With all due respect, 2K would have to be extremely stupid to do such a monstrously evil act. Sure they are trying to milk us dry with bite-sized DLC's (my personal hope is they'll eventually get bundled in some kind of super-deal, perhaps a year on from now), but it is a whole other level of nasty to charge money for content provided by volunteers. There might even be some legal problems.

I agree, people are over-reacting imo.

I know a lot of people, especially on this and other PC modding sites have a big problem w/ the concept of paid DLC, but imo, it really isn't that big a deal. Especially when what they are offering is actually worth it, and not over-priced, which believe it or not, most DLC being put out these days is well worth it and is a FAR cry from the days of "Horse Armor".

That being said, when the whole concept of paid "DLC" was introduced I, as a "PC gamer" whole-heartedly rejected it. Back then I felt like a lot of people do on this site now, but then I got a 360 and started seeing what the DLC actually consisted of. In most cases (by far the majority, imho), the DLC they are putting out is NOT content that was held back from the retail release to simply squeeze every last cent out of the consumer. Rather, most of it is akin to sort of mini-content-expansions if you will, and priced fairly. And the stuff that isn't a fair amount of additional content, mostly smaller stuff like "skins", or new weapons or in this case, new leaders or civs , is priced accordingly.

I know I'm not going to win anyone on these forums over on paid-DLC, but I'm just trying to say that it's not all doom-and-gloom, especially b/c Firaxis is still releasing the full SDK. In all cases that I've seen where a PC game allows modding in addition to paid DLC, the DLC just isn't as important as it is on a console b/c the community can put out content that is, quality-wise, equal to what the devs can put out. I mean, you guys can still mod the hell out of the game, and I'm willing to bet that you will be able to do everything you can in Civ4.

Look at it this way, from what I have seen Firaxis is bending over backwards to make this version of Civ specifically for the "hardcore" (I hate using that word, but it is the one that fits best in this instance) Civ fans. They know what you guys like, what you want, and they have repeatedly said they are making this to appeal mainly to the "hardcore", while still making it accessible to newbs, and those introduced to the series via CivRev. What I'm trying to say is that I seriously don't think they are going to "betray" you all, and do something silly like, say, make creating a new Civ impossible w/ the toolkit. That just doesn't make sense imho, they know who buys their games, and they want you to keep buying their games.

I agree with this, and I am eagerly anticipating these DLCs. They're like mini expansion packs!

The D2D version does indeed come with a bonus of 2 civilizations and a scenario. The deluxe edition comes with Babylon as you know, and that's in addition to the 2 other civilizations.
I'd really like Mongolia to be one the two, it's one of my favorites (as evidenced by my avatar). As for the other, either Scandinavia (if they don't decide to split it) or Spain. Or Inca, perhaps?

Now that I think about it, the important Scandinavian nations are already represented by city-states, right? This seems to indicate that it won't be Scandinavia. Have Madrid or Cuzco been confirmed as city-states?

Oh, I do want to buy the game in store, and I don't like it that Babylon isn't in the "physical" Collector's Edition. After I have purchased the game, though, I have no problem with DLCs.

I too, will be buying the game off the shelf, but it is good that non of my favourite civs are in "pre-order" content. I have never really bought any DLC.

I think it is AMAZING that D2D have caved in and are essentially selling the STEAM client. A rival digital store.

That should be the talking point, not DLC.

ahh headache... why so many versions of the same game!

Also they are throwing in Civ3 by far the worst Civ game of the series... great

Selling civs through DLC is the worst idea I have seen yet from Firaxis, and is the primary reason I have no plans to purchase this game. As an administrator of thirty-five completed and ongoing Civ PBEM games, I know how much of a hassle it is to find replacement players for games. But when the Babylonians are only available in the Super Duper Elite Mega Ultra Hardcore Collectors edition of the game, and I am forced to find a replacement player for a Babylonian position, the difficulty of my job as administrator is multiplied tenfold. No thanks.

DLC as a whole furthermore has little place in a competitive multiplayer game. Out of fairness, all players in the game should have access to the same options as all other players without regard to extra-game influences. Choice of Civ is the first strategic option a player has when starting a game; granting some players additional choices as a reward for spending more money is inappropriate.

The only solution to this mess would be for me to restrict in-game Civ selections to those Civs that are packaged with the game itself. But balancing the multiplayer game entails consideration of all playable positions in the game, not just the small subset of civs bundled with the original game. Hence it is clear to me that Firaxis has little interest in satisfying the needs of their multiplayer audience, and so I will not pay even $25 for Civ V.

It's time to look for another multiplayer strategy title.

Top Bottom