Civ6 for iPad

Last edited:
My pirates still think Black Bart looks like Teddy Roosevelt. Using the same game version as you Chris. Still fun to play tho.

Can anybody help me get a direct download of resourceful 2 I believe it’s only available via steam which is crap.
I’ll tell ya how it goes on the iPad
I’m prolly a glutton for punishment hoping it just works but I can’t not try *shrugs*

It seems that mods that add custom graphical elements (mainly units or buildings) won't work with iPad. This has propably something to do with how the modding tools create art files and their lack of compatibility with iOS graphic interfaces (or something like that).

It means that mods like MOAR Units and Steel and Thunder Units are not working (atleast fully). I tried Steel and Thunder and found out that most units that are based on vanilla units do work (explorer, longswords, rider/horseman). Some are ok (mortar, although it's spread on 3 tiles). Some hurt your eyes more (gatling, unplayable) or less (trebuchet) badly and some crash the game (cuirassier), didn't go far enough to see how self propelled artillery looks. Also Religion Expanded won't work (fact) as it adds buildings (presumption). Sadly JFD's Rule with Faith won't work either.

I have only tried 1 UI mod (Better Trade Screen) but it's layout went all over the screen and froze the whole game.

On the other hand many mods that only affect gameplay but not visuals work ok. I'm playing with the following set:

8 Ages of Pace
8 Ages of War
Adaptive Difficulty
AI+
Detailed Worlds (version 1.2)
Historicity++
Immersive Dialogue
Improved Sewers
Incoming Trade Route Gold
Quo's Chiefdom Wildcard
Real Tech Tree
Rhino's City State Balance v1.1
Settlers Retreat
TCS Customizable Warmongering Penalties 1.1
TCS Improved Aerodrome 1.1
TCS Improved Forts and Engineers
TCS Improved Water Yields
TCS Naval Raiders Ignore Borders
Tomatekh's Historical Religions

Toussaint's civilizations also seem to work, I'm currently using his Sioux and Zulu civs. Some of JFD's civs load (tested with Italy) but haven't played with it, may have problems with Unique Units? And some of JFD's leaders (Aztec and China) but I also have yet to actually play with them.

What did u use to install the mods, I heard someone had trouble using iExplorer but don’t remember what the problem was. I myself used the historical religions mod but the icons are all recolored original assets, did you experience the same ? I tried creating an iOS folder under the platforms folder and drag dropping the contents of the windows folder into it, did u do the same or no?
I’m actually using iexplorer myself and I’m seeing a pop up at the bottom of the screen saying failed to open platforms file and I see this whenever I add a mod wonder if that’s an issue

OK weird. There was no update (at least the version number didn't change)... But I can confirm that
Steel and Thunder: Unique Units 1.11
is working... See screenshot of custom unit "Peltast" with custom art.
View attachment 500025

This is really GREAT!

Are u still creating an iOS folder under the platforms folder, just curious as to I can get it to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using iMazing 2, allows you to make 100 transfers (files or folders) with the trial version, luckily this is reset if you remove and re-install the software.

I've always just rename MacOS folder to iOS and then open the modinfo file and replace all MacOS with iOS. You could also remove the Windows folder and delete those lines from modinfo, helps you to save disk space on iPad.

I tried MOAR Unique Units before S&T was available and could see Peltast working already then. I think something has still changed with some patch for iOS CIV 6, since now S&T 1.6.2 seems to work better. Even Gatling gun SOMETIMES displays ok (still no correct texture/color), sometimes it still explodes all over the place. Can't really understand it, i can load a game with gatling gun produced and it's looks ok. I then load another save, and immediately load gatling save again and it's badly distorted. Switch between saves again and it might be ok again.

I'm now trying to make 8 Ages of War and S&T work together with gatling gun removed. I'd love to have the extra units and still use the unit and promotion mods by Olleus.

Ok so I have a solution for the iexplorer problem. The iexplorer will create a platforms folder with subsequent platform folders that it leaves unpopulated, all I had to do was drag n drop the subfolder to the windows platform out of my computer docs and into the folder displayed by iexplorer. Seems capable of small pieces.
I’ve noticed some “texture” issues as well with S&T units, I saw a German unique unit cross the map it was blurred and kinda reminded me of the Aztec eagle warrior. I was playing japan at the time and I did produce their anti cavalry unit, that looked pretty solid can’t wait to test Teddy’s Apache helicopters ooh.
I also have “historical religions” got the icons to all show up perfectly but now the religious pressure waves in the religions lenses display their origin point with glaring solid color blocks and the city centers that exert pressure are solid colors as well

I’ve also got the mods “ More Monks”, “Warrior Monk Fix”, and “Terra Mirabilis”.
More Monks seems just fine I see the option to purchase a monk even though I took choral music, I haven’t really checked to see if the monk fix is doing its thing and Terra doesn’t seem to do anything I’m going to delete it and reinstall some time. I might have seen a pop up error when I tried installing Terra if I’m not mistaken it said “unable to open core folder”. I’ll check to see if it’s populated or not when I play with it later.
Has anybody had success with Terra Mirabilis on iOS?
Might as well ask if anyone has direct download for resourceful 2?

Attachments

• 28AB5554-6A28-43B2-BD7C-41671C49D763.png
    28AB5554-6A28-43B2-BD7C-41671C49D763.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 314
Last edited:
My pirates still think Black Bart looks like Teddy Roosevelt. Using the same game version as you Chris. Still fun to play tho.

Okay, here is the version of the mod that has working art! I also confirmed this to be working on the iPhone version as well.

Couple of tidbits - 1) if you purchased the game and DLC on iPad, when you download the game on iPhone, use the "Restore Purchases" option to unlock the full game and DLC you had purchased on the iPad version. As long as it is the same account, you will not have to re-purchase the game or DLC on the iPhone version :)

2) The iPad and iPhone versions are "cross-compatible" for Local Network multiplayer!!!

3) I have an iPhone 7 Plus, so its 3 phones ago, and it seems to be working pretty well (haven't made it to the late game yet), but it does chew on the battery pretty well...

Attachments

• Republic of Pirates (kingchris20).7z
    26.7 MB · Views: 181
Almost makes me want to get a newer IPad.

It works great on a new Pad, maybe consider trading your old one in. I got £60 from Currys PC World for my 5 year old Pad.

Hey Team - I’m having an issue with this game on the new iPad. The game itself doesn’t fill the whole screen (a few mm either side that it doesn’t stretch over).

Pic here:

https://imgur.com/a/dl5ivYM

Any ideas?

P.S Applied the Retina fix in this thread and it looks fantastic. New iPad absolutely flies compared to my old on CIV!

Hey Team - I’m having an issue with this game on the new iPad. The game itself doesn’t fill the whole screen (a few mm either side that it doesn’t stretch over).

Pic here:

https://imgur.com/a/dl5ivYM

Any ideas?

P.S Applied the Retina fix in this thread and it looks fantastic. New iPad absolutely flies compared to my old on CIV!

Is that the new Ipad Pro 11"? If so, it's got a different aspect ratio than Ipad's had since day one. With my tin-foil hat on I think that's why all review units were the 12.9" inch ones.
Unfortunately you will experience this with Civ and other apps until developers update with support for the new aspect ratio.

It’s the new 12.9” I’m afraid!

Probably the round corners! Found this on Macrumors:

1) Rounded corner black bars: This is similar to the iPhone X situation, before apps are updated to accommodate the extra spaces extended by the rounded corners. This affects both the 11" model and 12.9" model.

2) Aspect ratio black bars: This only happens on 11", and it is far worse and far more notifiable than the "Rounded corner black bars". If an app is not coded to dynamically adapt to aspect ratio, you'll see horrifyingly large black bars especially in landscape mode. It's almost like seeing an iPad mini sized app, inside an 11" screen. Populars apps such as Facebook and Netflix are affected by this.

I didn’t have the previous 12.9 so I can’t comment but performance was great. Actually doing standard maps with lots of AI and decent turn loading.

I’ve since swapped the 12.9 for the 11 as I found the 12.9 a tad big and bulky. Will let you know how it goes on the 11, however I’m assuming it’ll probably run better given its the same internals just lower screen res!

I’ve since swapped the 12.9 for the 11 as I found the 12.9 a tad big and bulky. Will let you know how it goes on the 11, however I’m assuming it’ll probably run better given its the same internals just lower screen res!

I wanted to get the new 11" but it seems clunky to me. I like the new 12.9 much better. And I'm not sure I really want to go backwards now that I've gotten used to the 12.9. Might try to get the 10.5 on clearance eventually.

Hey All,

Apologies for this one, but I’m terms of mod downloads, do I just grab them from this site? There is no compatibility issues, i.e windows or Mac OS versions to worry about? I know how to add files to civ, and I’ve looked through this forum to get an idea what works and what does not. But if anyone has any recommendations that improve any aspects of the game, of appreciate the recommendations. Also as a side note, wait times between turns is definitely improved on my iPad Pro 11 vs 10.5. Hoping next update may improve further!

Hi All

I found myself recently in a situation where periodically I have no access to my PC, only iPad. So, I started playing Civ6 on iPad. I must say that I miss many mods.
From the posts above and in other forums, I understand the situation is as follows.
1. We can use mods, practically in the same way as on PC - they need to be loaded into Mods subfolder.
2. iPad itself doesn't have any tools that allow to access the Mods subfolder. Fortunately there are some external apps (for PC or Mac) that can do that, e.g. iExplorer.
3. Bad news is that due to differences between systems, graphics, etc. only very mods actually work.
- database-related mods DO work, e.g. Real Tech Tree, Gold Resource - I suppose that means that underlying DB engine is the same, so all SQLs, etc. should work.
- UI mods don't work; I have tried myself several and none works. There are 2 different ways however a) the standard window appear with no changes whatsoever b) the new window is loaded but totally screwed. I would guess that for a) it means that the file names have changed and the new window is not recognized at all - the game loads a standard one. For b) it means that the base file is different from PC version and the modded version can't work properly.
- Arts, mostly 3D models, etc. - i see various reports here. Seems not working, however some people say they rarely do.

Ok, now to the main question.
Is it possible (how?) to get / extract the base game files from iPad? I am pure PC guy, so I have no idea. BUT if there was a way to extract those files it would be possible to make those UI mods working.

You can’t extract base game files from iPad version, they’ve only opened access to the mod related parts. I actually bought Civ6 base game from steam discount although my pc is so old it can’t actually run the game, I only play on iPad. I wanted to try some of the mods that are only available on steam (can now donwload them and copy to iPad) and also wanted to try modding myself, i can now access all xml files for reference which goes a long way for changing database related stuff.

UI mods may also not work because screen size/aspect ratio is different to PC/Mac?

Graphics in mods may or may not work, some units in Steel and Thunder work perfectly while others distort and make the game unplayble. I tried Religion expanded once, but never got so far to see if custom buildings were visible because the mod made all city center graphics disappear. Also haven’t tried mods that add terrain features like resources or natural wonders.

So how DID it go? Is it faster? Is the area displayed on the screen the same, or do you see less of the world? How bad are the black bars?

Playing Civ on a 2018 ipad pro 12.9. Was able to finish a game with a huge map/Pangea, online speed, settler difficulty as Victoria. The game never lagged, although on the very last turn (250) it took a bit for one specific city to open when clicked on. I've also played using the iPad hooked up to a 28 inch screen via hdmi/usb-c.

Can't wait for Rise and Fall.

Tom

Top Bottom