1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ6 for iPad

Discussion in 'Civ6 - iPad & iPhone' started by Phoenix1595, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stevanovic

Stevanovic Chieftain

I loaded my current 196 turn game onto my 2017 9.7" iPad and switched between Retina on and off and took some screen shots for comparison. Fonts are slightly clearer with Retina on, but other than that I really didn't notice much difference. If turning Retina on increases battery drain or heat build-up it's not worth having it on on both of my iPads. YMMV.

I didn't adjust ui scale on my 9.7" iPad as I didn't want to pair a bluetooth keyboard to access the debug menu and I suspect reducing the size of the UI elements on the 9.7" screen would make them too small for practical use.

I've only experimented a little bit with the game on my 9.7" iPad so I can't really make a valid comparison. It's summer where I am so I ran an extension lead into my gazebo and spent a couple of evenings sitting in my garden playing the game late into the night with the iPad Pro plugged in to mains power. I've no idea if that has an impact on the batteries 400-500 cycle life. The Pro has not noticeably heated up during those long sessions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  2. doolar

doolar Chieftain

Today I had a bug of sorts. When steam rolling America I had several crashes. Reverted to older save, same thing. It just kept doing that after I declined Teddy’s peace offering, exact same spot every time. 10 tries or so later it went on until the game finally got thru that turn. A restart of the Ipad did not help, I don’t know what solved it in the end.

I noticed after I’d taken that city that Teddy had a few Fighter jets in an airbase, which were bugged (they were there but not visible), I suspect that could have been the issue.

No more crashes after that though, I’m on turn 420 now with this game, I have 30-ish cities so it’s a bit slower now for the Mini to calculate and show the animations at the same time. But it works!

3. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Chieftain

I did pick up a 12.9 (for my wife ;) ), its faster than the Air2 for this game, but i'm not convinced its better than the Air2, since its heavier and you cant see more of the map. The battery life seems to be twice as long though (six hours), so maybe that's worth it in itself. I might have to get another one (for myself :) )

i thought so too, but i discovered if you click on a specific GP up pops more info on the right hand side, which shows which other civs are competing for that GP, and how far along they are, and what their points per turn are

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
    doolar likes this.
  4. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

I just get the feeling they are a little too late with this.

It’s £55, and yet it doesn’t come with any DLC or even the most recent patch, which for PC players came way back in Autumn.

I’m still tempted, but there’s absolutely no chance at that price, particularly as I’ve already spent a large amount on the better, more up to date PC version. I guess I’ll wait and see what happens in terms of price and development.

5. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

For those considering buying an iPad for gaming on the go, might I suggest a GPD Win? It's a small laptop (roughly the size of a Nintendo 3DS) that runs windows with a touch screen and built in controls, and they either recently released or soon will release the 2nd generation. I can confirm it plays civ.

(Note, this is in response to those who are considering buying an iPad for this purpose, not those who already have one. Further, I realize there are other benefits to iPad, and am just presenting the option).

doolar likes this.
  6. ridolforama

ridolforama Chieftain

You can! I've been switching back and forth from my iPad Mini 4 since I got the app. Use the File Sharing pane of the iPad settings in iTunes. Here is a screenshot:

iamliberal, Thormodr and doolar like this.
  7. Stevanovic

Stevanovic Chieftain

I have an iMac with the current version of the game plus all the available Mac DLC. I started a game on my iPad and then copied the saves across to my iMac and much to my surprise the game ran perfectly.

I played for a while and saved regularly, then started a new game and saved turn one. I then copied all the save files back onto my iPad, but could not load the game. I got a series of error messages about missing DLC. I progressively deleted saves untill I got back to an original iPad save and the game loaded. I cannot open any saves from my iMac on the iPad. I can however start a game on my iPad and finish it on my iMac.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  8. ridolforama

ridolforama Chieftain

If you disable all the DLC except Aztec Civilization on your iMac before starting a game that you intend to play on both devices, you should be able to start a game on the iMac and open saves from it on your iPad. (I can verify this works on a Mac Mini and don't see why it wouldn't on an iMac.)

9. Jyet

Jyet Chieftain

iPad Pro 12.9" Gen 2 (2017 edition)
    So I am playing around with mods.
    "Rule with Faith" EDIT (I got the old version 8 to work, go to older posts in that mods thread and you'll find the download link)
    "Moar Units" works but with bugs, the units are naked and in a default standing pose/not animated (playable). If you add the "iOS" folder can then copy in the "BLPs" folder from the Windows directory, the models and animation actually seem to fully work!!!! I have found that if you copy the BLPs folder from the Mac directory, the models completely spaz out and you get artifacts the fill up the screen (unplayable).

I did the "retina 1" resolution trick mentioned earlier in the thread. It works great, the difference is that the textures aren't blurry any more, it's especially noticable on the mini-map. UI scale works too, but that's just for menu items, I would like to find a way to move the city center widget menu (where you choose production, buy with gold, buy tile, etc.) I'd like to move that over to the left a bit if that is possible???

I noticed that trying to enable (1) bloom or AO and it just defaults back to 0 and doesn't seem to work.

Can we get a full list of known console commands?

I'd love a hack to enable strategic view on iOS version.
    I'd love a way to disable the company videos loading when you launch the game. (testing/fixing mods requires restarts)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  10. Jyet

Jyet Chieftain

If anyone has Civ 6 and iOS 11 up through iOS 11.1.2 a root is still possible on those versions. This would get you access to the file system of your device so you can look into the Civ 6 app directory further than a regular user is allowed to. Some of the files hidden/locked away in there may be very important for modding (to be able to see what is/might be a little bit different/altered between the PC versions files and the iOS version). My device is too up to date and downgrading is no longer an option but maybe someone else out there is in a better position.

After that compare the files to the PC version and notate whats different for the modders who are interested in making their projects iPad compatible.

11. fuad

fuad Chieftain

The Combat and stacking overhaul mod works on the iPad which is great !!!
    U will only have to change this line
    <LoadOrder>1000</LoadOrder>
    To
    <LoadOrder>10200</LoadOrder>

12. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Chieftain

I thought I’d chime in on this excellent addition to the world of Civ games... I installed a couple of mods (8 ages of pace, demographics and the unit report to report screen in there current form) and started a new game. 50 plus turns in and all seems to work just fine... I’m impressed to say the least. Playing on standard map, king level on a 12.9” original iPad.

My previous game (without mods) is well into the 700 plus turn and no crashes at all... as a matter of fact its never crashed.

iamliberal and Thormodr like this.
  13. Stevanovic

Stevanovic Chieftain

The game has been running perfectly on my iPad.

I start a game on my iPad and play it while I'm away from home. When I get home I copy the saves across to my iMac and continue the game on the big screen.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    iamliberal likes this.
  14. epsilon97

epsilon97 Chieftain

How do you load mods to the ipad version of the game?

15. fuad

fuad Chieftain

U will need to download something like IExplorer on ur PC and then connect ur iPad on the PC and put the mod u want into the mods folder of the game

16. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Thormodr likes this.
  17. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Chieftain

I use “iMazing” to transfer the folders. Works like a charm.

Thormodr likes this.
  18. KWagle

KWagle Chieftain

Now we just have to wait for the fall patch. :-(

conorbebe, athros and Thormodr like this.
  19. Putchuco

Putchuco Addictionado

Couldn't get iExplorer to work on Win10 to get the Mods to work, but iMazing is great!

20. iamliberal

iamliberal Chieftain

Thank you! Next time I go on a Civ-binge, I’ll probably want to play on both my iPad mini and iMac like you are.