Civ6 for iPad

In any case even if I still prefer civ 5 with very large mod like JFDLC on PC because of the depth of gameplay and the much more diverse and accurate historical content it add (seriously civ 6 WTF about Ballista Elephant), as I thought at the launch of civ 6, it is perfectly cut for the portable gaming !

I was a little disappointed by civ 6 at launch but for portable gaming that's perfect and I can forgive that it is done in such a way as to be simpler to apprehend and more rapidly "fun" even if it means integration of "fantasy history" like Ballista Elephant if it fit well with gameplay.

My only regrets is that now, we know what firaxis had in mind and so, I think we will have to wait for another dev studio for making a real "desktop civ" which is not civ 6.

Please Amplitude Studios hear my pray !^^

Last edited:
Just a little report, I've now got closer to 1000 turns on the Mini 4, had 4 crashes so far. Must say I'm ok with that. Turn calculation takes a while after turn 350-ish, and the scrolling and animations are sluggish. But it works. Turn time doesn't matter that much to me on the iPad, I usually put it down while it's doing it's thing.

All but one crash are related to movie cut scenes (wonder completion).

I’d like to say the game plays extremely well on my 1st generation 12.9” iPad. No crashes whatever and I’ve played many hundreds of turns with a couple of starts. I’m very pleased with this effort to bring us a “real” version of Civilization to this operating system. The game is every bit as challenging on King and higher difficulty as the PC game.

I’m looking forward to enhancements of the basic game and new DLC. The mod system once we learn how to take advantage of it is going to make this game even better.

I’m on turn 521 as Montezuma on small Pangea map on my iPad mini 4. It runs great! Thanks to the other poster using a Mini 4, helped me learn the game would run.

I just wish I could load save games from my Mac on my iPad, and vice versa.

As a general shortcoming of civ 6, I find the lack of features from previous civ games more challenging on iPad version. For example, I hate the lack of civ 5’s military advisor, where you can check how many units you have, and by clicking on a type, you can locate where each is in the world. In late game in civ 6, I’m finding it tough to manage all my units. For example, I want to upgrade all my tanks to modern armors.... in civ 6, you have to scroll all around the map looking individually for each one. Bad enough on 27” screen iMac, but much more cumbersome on iPad.

I want to upgrade all my tanks to modern armors.... in civ 6, you have to scroll all around the map looking individually for each one. Bad enough on 27” screen iMac, but much more cumbersome on iPad.
If we can get mods to work, CQUI has a unit screen that does all you are asking. You can even upgrade from within that screen.

Check it out for your desktop games. https://github.com/Azurency/CQUI_Community-Edition

I’m on turn 521 as Montezuma on small Pangea map on my iPad mini 4. It runs great! Thanks to the other poster using a Mini 4, helped me learn the game would run.

I just wish I could load save games from my Mac on my iPad, and vice versa.

As a general shortcoming of civ 6, I find the lack of features from previous civ games more challenging on iPad version. For example, I hate the lack of civ 5’s military advisor, where you can check how many units you have, and by clicking on a type, you can locate where each is in the world. In late game in civ 6, I’m finding it tough to manage all my units. For example, I want to upgrade all my tanks to modern armors.... in civ 6, you have to scroll all around the map looking individually for each one. Bad enough on 27” screen iMac, but much more cumbersome on iPad.

If you have one unit selected, you can press the unit name in the lower toolbar, and thus get a list of all units you have. It's not as great as in V, but it sure beats scrolling around the map.

iPad Mini 4 here. Can also confirm the game runs well enough. Biggest lag is between turns. I’ve never played Civ6 on a desktop, so I don’t know how it compares. Actual turns are rather smooth, as is scrolling around the map while the other players are taking their turns. I’m rather impressed.

However, I’m only playing on Tiny maps. Standard was waaaaay too slow, even mid-way through the game. Maybe once I get used to it I’ll try Small, but I don’t envision going bigger than that.

All that aside, this is my first time playing Civ6, and I LOVE it. Holy horsehocky, this feels so much more developed and balanced than the previous few vanilla Civs. I know a lot of people get really involved in their way of playing that gets changed in the current version, but I’m not one of them. The breadth and depth of this game is so much better, and the interface and organization is also a huge improvement. I didn’t think they could improve on CivV (or the Art Deco UI), but I was wrong. This is already my favourite version, and I look forward to eventually playing bigger games on my next desktop or iPad.

Just want to chime in and say that I’ve been playing the game very heavily for the past two days on an iPad 9.7 2017 (not the 1st gen iPad Pro), and it works very well. I did the file amendment to display in retina, which made a huge difference, and the only issue I’ve had was one crash but it was because I was running other apps in the background. But the auto save works well. I’ve been playing large maps with the default civs and 10 city states. No slowdown on scrolling with most of the map revealed and lots of crammed in activity.

I also tried to play this on an iPad mini 2 — the game did run but very slowly (with the popup about it being an unsupportive device). Thanks to others for the regular updates about the iPad mini 4...very helpful.

I’d say the biggest disappointment for me is actually the lack of Strategic View, which is pretty functional on its own, and much quicker to navigate on slower computers. I’ve also found that as the game progresses and the map fills up, the touch interface is not as good and can screw up inputs. Hopefully they add this in (and even make it a standalone interface for older iPads). Would also love to see them add in a better UI for some of the info bars, especially the top one to make the font smaller.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do we know if and when the missing DLCs and RaF will be implemented?

Just want to chime in and say that I’ve been playing the game very heavily for the past two days on an iPad 9.7 2017 (not the 1st gen iPad Pro), and it works very well. I did the file amendment to display in retina, which made a huge difference, and the only issue I’ve had was one crash but it was because I was running other apps in the background. But the auto save works well. I’ve been playing large maps with the default civs and 10 city states. No slowdown on scrolling with most of the map revealed and lots of crammed in activity.

I also tried to play this on an iPad mini 2 — the game did run but very slowly (with the popup about it being an unsupportive device). Thanks to others for the regular updates about the iPad mini 4...very helpful.

I’d say the biggest disappointment for me is actually the lack of Strategic View, which is pretty functional on its own, and much quicker to navigate on slower computers. I’ve also found that as the game progresses and the map fills up, the touch interface is not as good and can screw up inputs. Hopefully they add this in (and even make it a standalone interface for older iPads). Would also love to see them add in a better UI for some of the info bars, especially the top one to make the font smaller.

I agree about the strategic view, I use the mini map a lot to move around on the Mini 4, almost never use it on my PC, but suddenly found a use for it.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do we know if and when the missing DLCs and RaF will be implemented?

No. Aspyr has not be very forthcoming about dates and considering what has been happening as of late with the MacOS version, they still have a lot on their plate. I am hoping they are feeling the heat for not having finished porting the latest patch and DLC to MacOS, especially now when they have added the game to iOS which means more work and less hands. About, R&F, they have been less communicative and I have asked twice. But if things go as they have for the Fall Patch and DLC06, not to mention cross platform, we won't see the expansion any time soon after February 8th, 2018 in either MacOS or iOS. It has been 2 months and 15 days so far and they have not released the Fall Patch and DLC06. As you probably are aware of, we have been waiting for cross platform for a year and two months. The latest we heard from them, they said they would release all these pending issues this month. But I wouldn't get my hopes up for R&F come February nor until probably April or May. I would be happily surprised if it comes before that.

If it runs on an iPad, I wonder if an AppleTV version is in the cards.

On my iPad Pro 10.5 there is definitely some thermal throttling going on when I hit mid/late game after around 10 minutes of playing with retina turned on. iPad will get a bit warm on the back. Measured this with the debug menu frame statistics panel. Initially when loading a game it will maintain a pretty steady 28ish FPS. After about 10 minutes it will drop to as low as 14 FPS. Not surprising since this game is pushing the iPad to its limit with only passive cooling. Unfortunately non retina looks like trash

Just a little report, I've now got closer to 1000 turns on the Mini 4, had 4 crashes so far. Must say I'm ok with that. Turn calculation takes a while after turn 350-ish, and the scrolling and animations are sluggish. But it works. Turn time doesn't matter that much to me on the iPad, I usually put it down while it's doing it's thing.

All but one crash are related to movie cut scenes (wonder completion).

Are you playing on a mini 4 with the retina display fix? If so, did you notice a significant drop in performance?

On my iPad Pro 10.5...... Unfortunately non retina looks like trash

I'm on turn 196 of my current game on a small map using a 2017 12.9" iPad Pro A10X. I've just taken a series of screen shots with Retina turned on and off for comparison. The biggest difference I can see with Retina turned on is that fonts are noticeably clearer, particularly on the loading screen and UI elements, but other than that the differences are minimal. There must be noticeable differences between iPad models or personal perceptions of trash graphics because on my iPad turning on Retina isn't warranted.

I have played out a game on a small map with Retina turned on and did notice that the iPad got pretty warm and although I didn't time it, I got the impression that the battery drained more rapidly.

What does make a big difference on the the 12.9 iPad Pro is reducing the size on the UI elements in the debug menu using "ui scale 1" with Retina off or "ui scale 2" with Retina on. I have a Smart Keyboard on the Pro and never play the game without reducing the size of the UI elements.

I also have the game on a 2017 9.7" iPad A9, when I have some time I'll import a game from the Pro and experiment with the graphics.

No I'm running stock, no mods, I don't mind the lower graphics on the little Mini. :)

Nice. I actually bought this ipad 9.7 to play this game (in part b/c the ipad was on sale at target), but the tablet itself is hard to get used to after having only ever used minis. I tried retina on the mini 2, and didn't notice any difference (where as the retina support was significantly different on the 9.7) - I suspect the smaller screen size makes it much less relevant.

I'm on turn 196 of my current game on a small map using a 2017 12.9" iPad Pro A10X. I've just taken a series of screen shots with Retina turned on and off for comparison. The biggest difference I can see with Retina turned on is that fonts are noticeably clearer, particularly on the loading screen and UI elements, but other than that the differences are minimal. There must be noticeable differences between iPad models or personal perceptions of trash graphics because on my iPad turning on Retina isn't warranted.

I have played out a game on a small map with Retina turned on and did notice that the iPad got pretty warm and although I didn't time it, I got the impression that the battery drained more rapidly.

What does make a big difference on the the 12.9 iPad Pro is reducing the size on the UI elements in the debug menu using "ui scale 1" with Retina off or "ui scale 2" with Retina on. I have a Smart Keyboard on the Pro and never play the game without reducing the size of the UI elements.

I also have the game on a 2017 9.7" iPad A9, when I have some time I'll import a game from the Pro and experiment with the graphics.

Many thanks. I'd be interested to know if the A10X chip is significantly different on this game than the A9 chip. I also noticed that the ipad 9.7 would noticably heat up -- for me, after about three or four hours of continuous playing. I gotta say that I am more concerned about the battery life altogether on this... I think a typical battery has a 400-500 cycle life, which is not much when playing this kind of game. Maybe apple will extend their cheap battery replacement to ipads....

Top Bottom