Resource icon

CivAssist II 30-Oct-2016

ainwood said:
I certainly don't see those lines.

What OS are you running?

Windows XP and I'm also using Snoopys terrain (recently installed), though I doubt that would matter. As stated previously I just installed v1975 but I would assume so are you.

Since you don't see them the problem must be on my end. Any thoughts on what it could be?

To help I just checked several saves from both vanilla and PTW (they do not have snoopy's terrain) and the green lines were not present. So from this I can assume the problem deals with Snoopy's terrain.

Is there anyone else having this trouble using v1975 and Snoopy's terrain?

Well, I use snoopy's terrain at home as well (although I over-wrote the default terrain, rather than use it from the scenario folder), and it works fine.

I'm really not sure what could cause this - I'll check with Tomas (he wrote all the graphics display code). I am quite puzzled....

ainwood said:
Well, I use snoopy's terrain at home as well (although I over-wrote the default terrain, rather than use it from the scenario folder), and it works fine.

I also overwrote the normal terrain if that helps any. Out of curiousity does it matter that I only overwrote the Art folder in Conquests and not the original? I don't see how but right now I'm entirely confused.

Thanks for your help.

I get those lines as well and I run Snoopys terrian. I also had it with the previous version of CivAssit2.
In case it helps I am running an ATI 9800XT with the 4.9 drivers I believe.

I have those green lines as well, currently only playing RaR.
I did install Snoopy's terrain in the past and currently I don't know if this is overwritten by RaR-settings or not, but I assume it isn't.

ainwood said:
As Methos suggests, you can export a screenshot.

City placements should stay from one turn to the next, but are not saved (if you shut-down CivAssist and start it again). Is there a big need to keep them?

I have no need to export screenshots.

Its a nifty feature to be able to set preplanned cities and its frustrating having to refigure out their placement every time you stop playing for awhile then start again latter. Plus I've accidentally shut down civ assist instead of minimizing it countless times :p Mostly because the two small buttons are right next to each other.

Would you please add the ability to save such settings? (not just city placement but general view settings as well) It would be very much appreciated.

TruePurple said:
Would you please add the ability to save such settings? (not just city placement but general view settings as well) It would be very much appreciated.
General view settings? Like what?

Anyway - as its a holiday weekend in the US, Tomas has added city placement persistence - stores them for the last 10 games, apparently. Will be released in the next version. :)

General view settings like saves what options appear (ie; I like having "Units" on, but each time I load CivAssist II, it goes back to the basics. It could 'remember' my preferences.).

Could there be a tab for seed beast? Or put this under the general tab - that would make it easy to find the seed # and settings. I don't imagine it is that hard as you already do know how to get them, because of seed beast.

I like the idea to save city placement. :goodjob:

Really great tool! I only wish it wasn't so memory consuming, since Civ itself is already such a beast in that regard, but I will certainly use it none the less. :)

Small bug report:
I don't know if this has been reported yet, but the Tech tab contains spoiler info as to how many of your rivals have a tech that you cannot research yet (and thus shouldn't be able to see). The spoiler comes about through the reported cost for researching the tech. The info can be used to gain an advantage in trading rounds, since you can correctly predict if someone will have "the next tech in line" as well.

Niklas said:
Really great tool! I only wish it wasn't so memory consuming, since Civ itself is already such a beast in that regard, but I will certainly use it none the less. :)
Its actually just allocated memory, not used memory. To demonstrate, have CivAssist running, and check the memory usage. Then minimise it, and watch the memory drop. This is something to do with how the .Net framework handles memory allocation, apparently. If other apps are using the memory, then apparently it doesn't allocate as much. I'm not really sure of the details, but I read a bit about it when I saw it consuming 120 MB of RAM! :eek: (Dropped to 5 MB by minimising it though).

Small bug report:
I don't know if this has been reported yet, but the Tech tab contains spoiler info as to how many of your rivals have a tech that you cannot research yet (and thus shouldn't be able to see). The spoiler comes about through the reported cost for researching the tech. The info can be used to gain an advantage in trading rounds, since you can correctly predict if someone will have "the next tech in line" as well.
Good point - I'll change it to only show exact tech costs for ones that you can 'see', and show full-costs for ones you can't. :)

ainwood said:
Its actually just allocated memory, not used memory. To demonstrate, have CivAssist running, and check the memory usage. Then minimise it, and watch the memory drop. This is something to do with how the .Net framework handles memory allocation, apparently. If other apps are using the memory, then apparently it doesn't allocate as much. I'm not really sure of the details, but I read a bit about it when I saw it consuming 120 MB of RAM! :eek: (Dropped to 5 MB by minimising it though).

Is it better then to first start CIV3 and when it's up and running start CA2? I find in game my cursor lagging sometimes. Now that I read this I think restarting CA2 makes it better. Not sure though, maybe wishfull thinking.

Michelangelo said:
Is it better then to first start CIV3 and when it's up and running start CA2? I find in game my cursor lagging sometimes. Now that I read this I think restarting CA2 makes it better. Not sure though, maybe wishfull thinking.
Are you using the archive? If so, is it lagging at the start of each turn? That might be the autosave compression kicking-in. It runs on a separate thread with lower priority, so it shouldn't cause too many problems (if so, try turning-off the achive for a while, and see if it makes a difference). Maybe we should make archive compression optional. :hmm:

You could try turning-off hotkeys (in the options screen), although they shouldn't cause too many problems with speed.

What are your PC specs?

I get a lagging cursor too! I do have archive function on, and I'm playing a 200+ x 200+ World Map ... that might be the problem. ;) But before the new version, it didn't do this. It also happens just on random epic games. I would try archive compression optional ... I don't need them compressed, I do have lots of harddrive space ... but before compression, the wm saves were 8.5 MBs, not 850 KBs, so I'm split on the decision. Making it optional would be great!

I have P4, 256 MB RAM, 1.8 GHz.

Hi

I also have some performance issues with CivAssist II (which is sublime otherwise :goodjob: ). I'm currently playing Civ on a 2000+ Athlon with 512 RAM with a Geforce2 (64MB) grafics card and running Windows XP (SP1 if that's important).

I know this system is not the latest and fastest :rolleyes: , but I usually have plenty of memory hogs open while playing Civ (like Eudora and Opera) which don't impact the performance (I tried closing all other applications, but to no avail). When opening CivAssist II (before or after doesn't matter with me), Civ slows down and makes the pointer lag (which is the most annoying part).

I checked the Task Manager and I couldn't really find a cause, because there was still memory available and my CPU was still about 60% idle, but nevertheless ...

I hope you can find the cause, because I like the tool a lot!

Ainwood & Tomas,

Thanks for the upgrade. Win98 issue looks like its working normally now. Also now have civassist button in top left that I didn't know was supposed to be there....

First, CivAssist2 is unbelievable. I was a true fan of Civ Assist 1 and it is blown away by CivAssist2. The world map with the worked tiles overlay looks beautiful, and my play has improved since using CivAssist2...terrific work.

Second, my system slows to a crawl when using CivAssist2 - I noticed the RAM usage as over 100 MB on Task Manager. Is there a way around this? I noticed you had the same problem, Ainwood - did you figure it out?

Top Bottom