Resource icon

CivAssist II 30-Oct-2016

Although I followed all of your steps, Puppeteer, I couldn't make it work. CivAssistII still gives the error message, when I try to start it up. I guess you have some settings on your computer that I don't. Could it be that I need the Danish (my country) version of .NET 1.1 framework?

But I hope that Ainwood will continue his splendid work with his utility and perhaps make it compatible with Windows 7. It really is a fantastic tool, which I simply couldn't do without while playing CivIII on my old computer.

Thanks to both of you! :goodjob:

Just for the record, I got this one too. From what I have found in this thread there seems to be no easy solution for this one. I think I give the whole .net stuff a complete reinstall maybe it helps.

I made a video installing CivIII on Win7, and I finally finished producing and publishing the add-on videos including installing and using CivAssist II on Win7.

I take the extra steps of installing CivIII and CivAssist II in custom locations, in my case in C:\Users\Public\Games to avoid issues with VirtualStore and User Account Control.

Link to video.

Thank You again Puppeteer. Without this Video I doubt I would have ever got this Utility to work. If I can get it to work, anyone can. Simple is best :) .

Although I followed all of your steps, Puppeteer, I couldn't make it work. CivAssistII still gives the error message, when I try to start it up. I guess you have some settings on your computer that I don't. Could it be that I need the Danish (my country) version of .NET 1.1 framework?

But I hope that Ainwood will continue his splendid work with his utility and perhaps make it compatible with Windows 7. It really is a fantastic tool, which I simply couldn't do without while playing CivIII on my old computer.

Thanks to both of you! :goodjob:

Maybe try having both your CIV3 and CivAssitII using the same file paths: C:\Users\Public\Games

Just a thought,, I've got both working fine following Puppeteer's ideas on avoiding the issues with VirtualStore and User Account Control. He also has a great video on installing Civ3 games. ,,,, see above.:)

I got it to work by changing the compatibility properties to Win XP service pack 3. It resides in my C3C folder. It does not update yet but perhaps because I do not "pick" auto-save?

Update: :cry: .NET 1.1, and therefore dotnetfx 1.1.4322, is not supported on Win8 or later. CAII quit launching for me on Win8/Win8.1 since this original post, and I can't install dotnetfx. Still works on Win7, though.
-----
I recently updated to Windows 8 and installed CivIII and CAII the same way I did on Win7. I've noticed that CAII is *very* slow and pegs a core while running in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode on Win8.

For the heck of it I disabled compatibility mode and ran it as administrator instead. It's really fast now. I can't in good conscience recommend running a game or game helper as administrator, but FYI it works much faster this way.

(CivIII itself runs fine without compat mode or admin rights.)

I don't recall it being so slow running in compat mode in Win7; if I figure out what the difference is and if there's another workaround I'll report it here. (edit: apparently .NET 1.1 support expired, and it was never really supported on Win8, anyway. I guess that's why it only sorta-worked in the first place for me.)

Puppeteer, what does the install of an older version .net do for others apps? IOW will it replace the new network or will both version be active? I d/l the 1.1, but I am hesitant to install it. This is Win8 as my Win7 was fine.

Probably due to having CAII install, when 1.1 was current.

My understanding is that they are versioned runtime libraries that won't interfere with other .NET programs. I have had them installed on win7 and now win8 machines with no problems for a couple of years, aside from the CAII win8 slowness I mentioned.

At work we install .NET versions 1, 2, 3 and 4. (But we don't run Civ3 or CAII.)

No, I couldn't make it work. Here is my error message:

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 360
Have the same issue.
Using two PC's, Win 7 Pro x64.
One is installed with civ 3 + conquest, another with civ 3 complete (and data in virtual store).
Didnt try to remove complete and reinstall civ3 + conquest, but CAII works on first one, on second, same error.

Ainwood, you plan to do another update for this tool?

I wish if someone would buy Civ 3 and continue development. Add some stuff from 4 and 5. Best Civ ever (and I'm playing since first).

Nope. It is not virtual store.
I now installed regular civ 3 + conquest (so, not complete) on both PC (Win 7 x64).
On one it works, on another, I get the same (or similar) error (check two posts above).

Nope. It is not virtual store.
I now installed regular civ 3 + conquest (so, not complete) on both PC (Win 7 x64).
On one it works, on another, I get the same (or similar) error (check two posts above).

Pardon, I meant CIV Assist II doesnt work.

Hmm. After updating from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 my previously-working CivAssist II won't launch anymore. I haven't put much effort into troubleshooting it yet.

Edit: According to Microsoft, .NET 1.1 is not supported on Win8 or later. I'm not sure how I had it working on Win8, but I can't get it working on Win8.1 now. My evidence is anecdotal, but I think Win8 spells the end of CivAssist II unless there is a re-release.

Edit 2: MapStat still works without any special tricks in Win8.1. I'll see if it does what I need. MS has notes on migrating out of .NET 1.1, but it seems to require the source code. I might try decompiling CAII with dotPeek and recompiling for a more recent .NET version. I have no idea if that will work or if I have the know-how to do it. And if I do succeed I don't know if I could redistribute it. One step at a time.

I might try decompiling CAII with dotPeek and recompiling for a more recent .NET version. I have no idea if that will work or if I have the know-how to do it.

Yeah, apparently not. dotpeek did create a bunch of cs files and a csproj file, but I got errors when trying to recompile. Details in the spoiler tag in case anyone else wants to try.

Spoiler :
I installed dotpeek, loaded the CivAssist executable and exported to a project. I didn't install VS but just used MSBuild.exe from c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v<version>\MSBuild . At first I got errors about missing SDK so I installed the .NET SDK for .NET 2 and .NET 4 . I got tons of errors when trying to compile with v2, so I gave that up. When compiling with v4 I get two errors:

Code:
ao.cs(150,21): error CS0542: 'a': member names cannot be the same as their encl
osing type [C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\src\CAII\CivAssist\CivAssist.csproj]
DotfuscatorAttribute.cs(25,40): error CS1056: Unexpected character '\u002E' [C:
\Users\Jim\Desktop\src\CAII\CivAssist\CivAssist.csproj]
Done Building Project "C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\src\CAII\CivAssist\CivAssist.csproj
" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Done Building Project "C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\src\CAII\CivAssist\CivAssist.sln" (
default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\src\CAII\CivAssist\CivAssist.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\src\CAII\CivAssist\CivAssist.csproj" (default target) (2)
 ->
(CoreCompile target) ->
  ao.cs(150,21): error CS0542: 'a': member names cannot be the same as their en
closing type [C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\src\CAII\CivAssist\CivAssist.csproj]
  DotfuscatorAttribute.cs(25,40): error CS1056: Unexpected character '\u002E' [
C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\src\CAII\CivAssist\CivAssist.csproj]

0 Warning(s)
    2 Error(s)

Can someone try this version?

It works for me! Win8.1 . I uninstalled my nonworking CAII (which at one point worked in Win8, but I don't recall if I installed clean or if I started with Consumer Preview and updated), then I tried to uninstall dotnetfx 1.1 but found no entry for it in Programs and Features. And now that I look closely at the v1.1.4322 folder the *.exe files are gone and all that's left are some .config files and some .dll's.

Anyway, then I installed into the default location. The first time I tried to launch it told me it had to be run as administrator, explained how and then exited. Being a smarty pants I set it to run in WinXP SP3 compat mode, and it is working!

My Civ install is in a custom folder as shown in my video in my sig, but I don't think that affects how the new CAII is working.

I've only played a handful of turns, but so far it is working as expected. The only thing that looked different to me so far is on the map tab the BGs have dark green circles in them. I'm not sure that's new, but I hadn't noticed it before.

Thanks again ainwood!

Edit: When I closed CAII I got the attached Compatibility Assistance window. But I was running in WinXP SP3 mode, not as admin. But it is working.

Attachments

• CA2_05.PNG
    CA2_05.PNG
    91.8 KB · Views: 336
  • CompatAssist.PNG
    CompatAssist.PNG
    10.8 KB · Views: 325
Top Bottom