Resource icon

CivAssist II 30-Oct-2016

howdy y'all,

while i haven't tried this, it sure looks like what is needed.
- Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26

take care,
lee

Thanks to that I got this to work......after I made civ assist run in 'windows 2000' compatability mode. And this seems to be the only utility I can run for conquests......

Though it doesn't work for the conquest scenarios if anyone was trying to use those.

howdy Bamspeedy,

you are quite welcome! [*grin*]

you may want to look at this thread ...
- Cross-Platform Editor for Conquests now available!
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=377188

... and particularly at this post ...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11177371&postcount=253

the author is slightly interested in doing a replacement for civassist. you might want to let him know if you are interested in such a new util. i'm thinking about dropping another $5 beer fund donation on him ... [*grin*]

take care,
lee

Oops, I got Civ Assist to work, not Civ Assist II.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key is denied.

I got the editor to work, but I don't know if I'll really need it.

howdy Bamspeedy,

i've never used the original version. [*blush*] i only use ca2 in an xp virtual machine. that simplifies stuff enormously. i still hope that Quintillus will eventually get interested in doing a replacement for ca2. he seems to be doing his programming in java and that will get around the danged ms-dot-net glitches.

take care,
lee

I seem to have trouble running CAII with Win7. Whenever I try to open CAII it gives me the following error message:
Error Message said:
CivAssist.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x1560 (5472), Thread id=0x684 (1668).

I have Net 1.1 so it should work fine. Also tried to run it as administrator and with different compabilities but to no avail. Can anyone say what's the problem?

Sorry for double post but my error message wasn't an April's Fool. Does no-one really know what's causing the error? :(

Sorry for double post but my error message wasn't an April's Fool. Does no-one really know what's causing the error? :(

I checked back through the thread to see if there was any help that had been discussed - it seemed familiar.

This post might have something for you to work from.

I am so not a techie so take it for what it is worth.:confused:

Whilst I'm fresh from getting CAII working on Win 7 64-bit, here's how I did it:

1. Download / locate your CivAssist_II_Setup.msi file. Kinda important that one.
2. Create a folder called C:\DotNet (or whatever) on your PC.
2. Download the .NET 1.1 framework redistributable package, which is called dotnetfx.exe, into this folder. Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26
3. Download .NET 1.1 SP1, from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=33. Save this in the same folder as the previous download. Rename it something easier to type if you like, e.g. dotnetfxsp1.exe.
4. Make sure you're logged into Windows as an Administrator.
5. Open a command prompt (Windows-R, cmd, OK).
6. cd C:\DotNet
7. Run dotnetfx.exe (there may be a prompt about compatibility issues, ignore it and continue on to install)
8. dotnetfxsp1.exe /Q /L:C:\DotNet\dotnetfxsp1.log
9. The .NET installation is done, now install CivAssist II. If all is well, it'll detect the right version of .NET 1.1 and run.
10. Right-click on the CivAssist II icon, select the Compatibility tab, and select Compatibility with Windows XP SP3.
11. CivAssist II should now run.

Whilst I'm fresh from getting CAII working on Win 7 64-bit, here's how I did it:

1. Download / locate your CivAssist_II_Setup.msi file. Kinda important that one.
2. Download the .NET 1.1 framework redistributable package, which is called dotnetfx.exe, into this folder. Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26
3. Download .NET 1.1 SP1, from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=33. Save this in the same folder as the previous download. Rename it something easier to type if you like, e.g. dotnetfxsp1.exe.
7. Run dotnetfx.exe (there may be a prompt about compatibility issues, ignore it and continue on to install)
9. The .NET installation is done, now install CivAssist II. If all is well, it'll detect the right version of .NET 1.1 and run.
10. Right-click on the CivAssist II icon, select the Compatibility tab, and select Compatibility with Windows XP SP3.

You seem to know what you're talking about, but can this be done without command prompt? I have a very small knowledge of command prompts right now, so just a little more explanation (like a step by step exactly word for word what you put in the prompt) I tried it how you explained it and it told me the path was not found, the compatibility issues would only be when I'm running CAII right? And could it be avoided with a virtual machine? (like if the framework would be universal and effect both)

Hi, I have a problem with CAII. I am able to run it fine, but it does not pick up my game, it just stays blank. I checked the path in Options, and it's correct for my saved game.
I am in Windows 7 (32 bit) and have installed net1.1 as per instructions above. I am running as an administrator, and have set compatibilty to Windows XP SP3. Any help please?

Change log to-date.
Code:
Version 2.1.????
* UPGRADE TO .NET FRAMEWORK v3.5.
*  - Modified watchers to use native FileSystemWatcher class.
* UPGRADE TO SUPPORT WINDOWS VISTA / WINDOWS 7.
*  - Modified autosave / install to handle Virtual Store for default program files location.
* Added ability to show Bonus Grassland on map view.
* Tweaked alert form buttons to look better on higher screen resolutions (button location).
* Changed support e-mail to CivAssist@gmail.com.
* Fixed WorldMap properties to hide unmet civilizations.
* Hid "sessions" and "turns / session" label on main form at start-up.
* Added check for running with administrator privileges (exits if not found).
* Fixed exception when "cancel" button clicked on password-protected save log-in screen.
* Added (known) world city count and number of cities that can be built against cap of 512 to territory view.
* Fixed bug to prevent displaying of invisible units (including combat calculator!)
* Added "Producing" column to city view.
//June 2012 changes
* Finished reworking Territory screen (including counts of polluted tiles, and more info per-city).
* Split "City has grown or shrunk" alert into separate alerts.
* Fixed tech calc to correctly scale research turns between minimum & maximum.
* Greatly improved C3C economic model, corruption count, including:
*fixes for cities with < 4 net production need to give at least one wealth,
*redid sci/lux/tax distribution from raw trade.

No promises on a release date. But then again, I did say "no promises" about a year ago.:sad:
I still have to rework the PTW/Vanilla economic model though.

howdy ainwood,

kool! [*grin*] _very_ glad to know you are still interested in this.

would you please seriously consider releasing the util as it is? there is no need for it to be perfect. as the old saying goes ... "perfect is the enemy of good". plus, updates are always welcome! [*grin*]

take care,
lee

thx, now it works

I made a video installing CivIII on Win7, and I finally finished producing and publishing the add-on videos including installing and using CivAssist II on Win7.

I take the extra steps of installing CivIII and CivAssist II in custom locations, in my case in C:\Users\Public\Games to avoid issues with VirtualStore and User Account Control.

Link to video.

Although I followed all of your steps, Puppeteer, I couldn't make it work. CivAssistII still gives the error message, when I try to start it up. I guess you have some settings on your computer that I don't. Could it be that I need the Danish (my country) version of .NET 1.1 framework?

But I hope that Ainwood will continue his splendid work with his utility and perhaps make it compatible with Windows 7. It really is a fantastic tool, which I simply couldn't do without while playing CivIII on my old computer.

Thanks to both of you! :goodjob:

Run Civ3 as an administrator, or install it outside of Program Files.

I also had a problem starting CivAssist 2 in my Win7 - the program refused to start, giving an error window instead. The weird thing was that the day before it worked perfectly, just like in my previous WinXP install. I tried everything I could think of: reinstalling it, all kinds of compatibility modes, searching this forum for help etc. Finally before giving up I checked out Task Manager. Guess what I found there? A CivAssist task running in the background. I killed it, and then the program started working perfectly.

Just a little heads-up in case someone else is struggling with these issues.

Top Bottom