Civilization 4 delayed? The Take2 trouble

Wolfwood

Elite Commander
Joined
Sep 5, 2003
Messages
670
Location
Finland
It looks bad for Take2 at the moment and I would not be surprised if they went out of business in the next few weeks/months.

Even though the game is programmed by Firaxis, they need a distributor to bring it on the market. Has there been any official word yet on how the recent events will affect the release of the game?
 
I would imagine Take2 would want the game out ASAP because of the recent (ridiculous) trouble they've been having with the angry mother's association. They won't go out of business because of the silly issue.
 
Are you sure? Ridiculous lawsuits have succeeded in the past and Take2 stock is really going down at the moment. And politicians are always eager to collect some points when these kinds of situations arise.

Of course, I admit that it may be too early to tell and there will prolly be no official announcements for a long while (Take2 hasn't even mentioned the events on their homepage).
 
Just because of the lawsuit, I don't think Take-Two will go out of business.

For the full story:

Take-Two sued, confirms FTC investigation
[UPDATE] As the feds circle, San Andreas TV ads are pulled, and a class-action lawsuit against the publisher is filed in US District Court.

The Hot Coffee scandal advanced on two fronts today.

First, the parent company of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas publisher Rockstar Games, Take-Two Interactive, confirmed that its advertising practices were indeed the subject of a Federal Trade Commission inquiry. On Monday, the US House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly in favor of such an investigation.

Specifically, the FTC's Division of Advertising Practice is looking into how San Andreas was promoted, and to whom, to determine if Take-Two was culpable in misleading the public. The company said it "intends to fully cooperate with the FTC inquiry, and believes that it acted in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations."

The Take-Two statement went on to say that Rockstar and Take-Two "regret that consumers may have been exposed to content that was not intended to be accessible in the playable version of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas." However, Take-Two reiterated its contention that the Hot Coffee code was the result of a "third-party modification."

Despite such admonishments, Take-Two is facing legal trouble of another kind...in civil court. This morning, according to the Associated Press, a lawsuit was filed against the publisher in the Southern District of New York. According to the AP, plaintiff Florence Cohen claims she was "damaged" after learning of the sex minigames hidden in San Andreas, as she had bought what she thought was an M-for-Mature-rated game for her grandson.

Her complaint seeks class-action status for purchasers of San Andreas and relies on four causes of action; the complaint accuses Take-Two of committing or engaging in "Consumer Deception" (based on New York State General Business Law statutes, section 349), "False Advertising" (based on New York State General Business Law statutes, section 350), "Common Law Fraud," and "Unjust Enrichment."

Damages sought are in excess of $5 million, the complaint says. Cohen is seeking a jury trial to determine culpability.

Ironically, the charges of "false advertising" come as television spots for San Andreas continue to run. This week, GameSpot editors saw firsthand 30-second TV ads for the Xbox version of the game running on Comedy Central and MTV, both owned by media giant Viacom. The ads have been altered since the ESRB revoked the game's M rating last week, ending with the words "Rated AO for 'Adults Only.'" [UPDATE] Some gamers took this as a sign of defiance on the part of Rockstar. However, a representative for the publisher told Gamespot the ads were from a media buy made prior to the FTC investigation, and would stop running as of today.

Even before today's developments were known, one industry analyst said Take-Two is facing "headline and regulatory risks" as a result of the Hot Coffee scandal. In a memo to investors, UBS' Mike Wallace said the danger to Take-Two will persist until resolution is reached. "Whether or not the inquiry results in a penalty (that is, a fine) remains to be seen," Wallace said, "but if GTA needs to get reworked, this may impact the consumer appeal of the game going forward." From a purely financial perspective, Wallace said he believes the "numbers for TTWO could be at risk over the next few quarters."

At press time, Take-Two was trading up just over a dollar at $24.63.


And here is what Take-Two said on their site...
 
"...plaintiff Florence Cohen claims she was "damaged" after learning of the sex minigames hidden in San Andreas, as she had bought what she thought was an M-for-Mature-rated game for her grandson."

"Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, as originally marketed and sold, was intended for mature audiences – those 17 and older – and was labeled with five ESRB content descriptors: blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, strong sexual content and use of drugs."

That grandmother should be thrown out on her ass.
 
Anyone mind explaining the HotCoffee Scandal?

It's a code to access "Sex Games"?

But they say it's 3rd Party?... Anyone have details?
 
Leprechaune said:
Anyone mind explaining the HotCoffee Scandal?

It's a code to access "Sex Games"?

But they say it's 3rd Party?... Anyone have details?
The information for some sex content was stored on the CD. It wasn't accessable through the game. This was content that they probably deemed would change the rating to Adults Only.

There might be all sorts of codes and crap on CD's that ends up not being used.

In this case, some computer genious made some patch or something that made these sex scenes accessable.
 
Apparently it's alright for 17 year olds to simulate dealing drugs, murdering innocent civilians and stealing cars - but Heaven forbid... let them see a pair of pixelated breasts and simulated sex is so inappropriate. Hilary Clinton and the rest of the PC Parade need to get their heads out of their deleted and talk some sense. deleted...

Moderator Action: Watch the tone of language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889
 
its a perfect example of north americas prudeness,,,in europe nudities not a big deal...violence is...in this country(both US and Canada) nudity is a taboo yet violence is an every day exceptible form of entertainment...personaly i would rather my kid(hypothetical) to see sex..then him to see constant murder. just my opinion.
 
You are right there, Superkrest. In Finland, for example, there's been some public worry about the increasing violence in video games, but I cannot imagine anyone getting so worked up about sexual content. Our movies are often sensored for violence, but I don't think that would happed for sexuality (porn is another matter).

In any case, no one would go to court for either cause. Public outcry would, at best, result in changed politics / more strict age codes for games, but never would anyone go to court to demand compensation for "damages" of any kind.

I just hope that this will blow over, but what I know of similarly ridiculous court cases in history, I'm not too hopeful.
 
In video games violence is more fun than sex; in real life the opposite is true (for most people).
 
Cut off Québec from Canada and the US, and you're pretty dead on. Québec is more like an European island on the wrong side of the Atlantic, anyway.

Anyway. Here's to hoping this doesn't screw over Civ IV.

The American Thought Police manages to piss me off even more than usual...
 
I've been thinking of this all week long but I doubt it'll affect the distribution of Civ IV. Or at least I hope so.
 
I don't think it will have any effect on Civ IV as I reckon there will be more than one development team, each one dedicated to a different game.
 
To be fair, you should download and watch the hot coffee scene before you decide that people are over reacting.

I watched it and while I still think people are over reacting, I can understand their concern more having seen the clip. <Deleted>


Moderator Action: No need to go into detail there...
 
poolking said:
I don't think it will have any effect on Civ IV as I reckon there will be more than one development team, each one dedicated to a different game.
there arent developed by the same company only published...
Rockstar made GTA, Firaxis is making Civ4, both are published by Take 2...

I bet whichever programmer put that in the game, is getting a good talking to by his boss ;)
 
civzombie said:
To be fair, you should download and watch the hot coffee scene before you decide that people are over reacting.

I watched it and while I still think people are over reacting, I can understand their concern more having seen the clip. <Deleted>


Moderator Action: No need to go into detail there...

GTA: San Andreas was rated M - for 17 year olds and over. M ratings contain strong sexual content, violence, and drug abuse (something like that). All the talk about it being bad for kids is rubbish - since kids shouldn't be playing the game in the first place.
 
I agree that the kind of content that GTA apparently contains is stupid from many points of view - clearly the work of programmers who have not yet reached maturity.

But what I think is even stupider is that there is this woman who sues the game company when, in fact, it was she who bought a game rated M to an underaged child. I don't know how it is even possible, but for some reason these people who suddenly realise that they have made a mistake and that they are, in fact, stupid, want to lash out and blame someone else for their own problems, not willing to admit that it was their own mistake in the first place (a certain lady spilling hot coffee onto her lap comes to mind).

I just hope that Take2 is able to bear the burden of collapsing stock prices and law suits and can go on publishing great games (meaning Civ4 and Pirates! here, not GTA)
 
Back
Top Bottom