Civilization 5: Brave New World released in North America!

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
The newest expansion for Civilization 5, Brave New World, has finally been released in North America.
We can already see lots of reviews coming in, ranging from 9.4 from IGN and 9.5 from Gamespot down to 50/100 from Venturebeat, but most being very positive. For an overview of the reviews (including some by CFC users) see this thread please.
In case you're excited, and just want to read or post your new impressions, feel free to join in here.
Please also be attention to the forum over the rest of the day, since it's expected that some live streams from avid fans will come, and also MadDjinn will upload his live stream from earlier this day.
Have fun everyone :).

Attachments

• bnw.jpg
    bnw.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 209,441
I remember all the gushing reviews of CivV prior to its original launch. THEN, the reality of the mess of the actual game launch led me to question the objectivity of the so-called professionals. It would seem to me that they have vested interests in providing glowing reviews. Obviously, to an adult, this should not be news or revelatory. I am no longer naïve.

Personally, I shall read them sceptically. I was burned by my CivV experience and poor experience of being misled; it has taken all this time for me to again consider this game. I shall see how the community reacts; they at least can be trusted to provide proper feedback.

Good Luck.

I stopped reading reviews. Same goes for watching movie trailers, reading the back of book covers and listening to people talking about other people behind their back. Spoilers can ruin the whole life experience. Looking forward to playing BNW!

Never heard of Venturebeat before, and feel sorry for giving that writer the click to the website. Considering it's just a very old rant, one that I feel isn't even that accurate anymore seeing the fairly big improvements that have been done to the AI and to reduce AI exploiting since Vanilla.

And the forums seem to have their typical slowness during launch day/week, but that's a good thing. =)

I dont think the Venturebeat one should be accepted and shown here, the author clearly doesn't like the base game to begin with and the fact one of his main complaints is the game is all about "filling buckets" which is the bare fundamental of the game going back to its origins.

I dont think the Venturebeat one should be accepted and shown here, the author clearly doesn't like the base game to begin with and the fact one of his main complaints is the game is all about "filling buckets" which is the bare fundamental of the game going back to its origins.

Nah just leave it. Its so obviously an uneducated rant that every real civplayer will laugh about it. The author isnt even represented on the 'team' page of that site. Guess he tried to troll us to get many clicks and impress his employer. :rolleyes:

Plus: Dont forget there are still some people here that love civ4 so much that they dont want civ5 to be successfull, just so it never surpasses 4. Some of those people will like that review. Let them have some fun

For the record I find it important to have in addition to the usual conventional & ultra-positive "professional" reviews some correctly written & argued reviews that still points some of the game's flows (like "the mistake of using happiness as the only growth limiter")...

I want to thank Firaxis for supporting piracy by not releasing it worldwide at the same date, good job in the year 2013 :goodjob:

I want to thank Firaxis for supporting piracy by not releasing it worldwide at the same date, good job in the year 2013 :goodjob:

Funny enough that a good portion of AAA title releases have different regional release dates. Also if you think that them not having one worldwide release date supports piracy, then you'll be shocked at how always online games like SimCity make people resort to piracy.

What about Japanese RPGs (especially PS2 and especially earlier)? They are usually released in North America a few months from the original Japanese release and said games are usually released in Europe a few years (and even slightly over a decade) from the original North American release. Some Japanese RPGs are never released outside from Japan even.

I am a huge fan of Japanese RPGs and I am not complaining.

For the record I find it important to have in addition to the usual conventional & ultra-positive "professional" reviews some correctly written & argued reviews that still points some of the game's flows (like "the mistake of using happiness as the only growth limiter")...
+1
I am a huge fan of civ games since 20 years and I stopped playing Civ5 for the same reasons as this author. Design failure, that's it.

Top Bottom