1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Dec 3, 2010.

1. rezaf

rezaf Warlord

Next you'll tell us that the range of bows was never so large as portrayed in the game, i.e. Archers could never actually shoot at something the other side of a metropolis.
    Or you'll tell us that Knights were never really a predominant force as Civ portraits them to be, they were really only a very small part of the respective armies they fought in.
    Maybe you'll tell us rural development didn't actually work like in Civ, with the leader sending a unit of workers to build farms all across the landscape.
    Talking about the leader, you'll possibly also tell us about how the same rulers never actually lead a civilization from 4000BC to beyond 2000.

As Andulias wrote, Civ5 never was about historical accuracy, and Civ5 actually went great length to further reduce the portion of actual historical stuff in the game, so I don't really see what you're arguing about.

Civ5 has a lot of problems most of which have probably been discussed in this thread, but historical accuracy (especially when only concerning "fluff text") should be the least of Firaxis' concerns, imo.
    _____
    rezaf

2. lollibast

lollibast Warlord

you're comparing apples and oranges or CIV and CiV one might adapt that proverb

3. Ruerl

Ruerl Chieftain

Not my point at all mate. Its the fluff text, not the game mechanics I commented on. And its posted in the rants thread for a reason. ;)

4. rezaf

rezaf Warlord

You know what?
    I think you're right.
    Everyone should have a right to rant about whatever he pleases to rant about in this thread.
    It's not as if Firaxis is keeping an eye on what's posted here and compiling lists on what to fix, so, yeah, rant away.
    My apologies for trying to stop you.

Keep on ranting! :)
    _____
    rezaf

5. ohioastronomy

ohioastronomy King

The older versions of Civ at least had the feeling that they could be historical simulations. People got angry when wars went on too long, for example; or religious fanatics would demand that you convert or face the sword. Civ 5 has people attacking you because "you're trying to win the same way they are" or because sending a rocket to Alpha Centauri somehow requires total war as a response.

6. Andulias

Andulias A Stranger on a Train

7. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Actually the maintenance system was perfect for nerfing ICS without destroying gameplay choices. It gave you some very interesting decisions on tall vs wide, especially in the early game, and eliminated many of the artificial breaks implemented on the game in Civ 3 (some of which reappeard in civ 5).

It improved the game a lot.

8. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Agreed, even after C3C came out, ICS was still a major pain in the short hairs. Glad IV fixed that particular issue.

@ Andulias; um, you might want to check out the code bro, diplo hits are definitely in there, so your condescending shot at Ohio isn't really valid.

9. Andulias

Ummm, no, it's not. It very much isn't. There's this thing they had called an expansion pack, right? It removed "You are trying to win the same way we are" :p

Just stating facts.

10. ohioastronomy

ohioastronomy King

I've seen the text in diplomatic messages in the base version. I'm not willing to waste more money on DLCs or expansion packs that don't fix basic design flaws in the version of this game that I enjoyed the least by a wide margin. But it certainly does represent progress that they removed a juvenile text message. Oddly enough, I still see numerous reports of random and unprovoked AI attacks even if you do fork over the cash for the expansion. This suggest that the underlying issues remain.

More to the point, I'm not the only person who has noticed that this awful version of civ is one where even the loose simulation aspect in earlier versions is lost. I have also noticed your compulsive baiting of people who don't share your elevated opinions of civilization 5 and your wisdom. Color me unimpressed.

11. Andulias

I merely pointed out you were wrong. You consider that baiting? Hate the game for whatever reasons, whether relevant or not, whatever, I don't mind. There are plenty of people who hate IV and III as well, it's only natural.

12. ohioastronomy

ohioastronomy King

You picked a single phrase that was secondary to my point and attacked me because they removed it in an expansion that I don't have. The actual subject of discussion, prior to your aggressive nit-picking, was about how the poster felt that Civ 5 failed at providing the illusion of a historical simulation - something that there has been plenty of ink spilled on. This is something that, in my opinion and that of others, was done better in earlier Civs.

So, no, you didn't prove me "wrong". Grow up.
    Moderator Action: Not an appropriate comment.

13. Andulias

Oh brother, of course I didn't prove you wrong, I pointed out that something you said was wrong, there is a difference here. It's your personal opinion whether you like the game or not, there is nothing wrong or right here! I apologize if it came off as an attack, I just made a comment that half of your post was a complaint about something that isn't even in the game now and how most of you guys hate CiV not for what it is, but for what it was at launch. I made an observation and your post was a good example, I never attacked you or tried to prove your opinion is "wrong". :rolleyes:

Moderator Action: *snip*

14. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

Actually it was just making impossible something few people did with a major change. It was like killing rats with an atomic bomb.

While no one could really proove that ICS was superior, it replaced it with a system of maintenance system that was obscure. For example, no one could say how many gold per turn a new planted city would cost to him, before actually doing it. It was very frustrating.

Now they replaced this system in 5 with a global happiness, that is even more frustrating : you barely can't expand naturally anymore past your second or third city in Prince or above, while there's still plenty place and good city spots and you can still build settlers. That's frustrating. Not taking into account the fact that happiness is not easily managable : improoving it costs time, during while you barely can't do anything.

15. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Prince

Now this is factually untrue. Watch Maddjinn's Carthage LP. Guy planted a whole mess of cities and managed happiness quite fine.

16. jaateloauto

jaateloauto Chieftain

Putting the AI to focus on production meant that it starved the citizens to death.

How is it this game is dumber than all it's predecessors? I'm not an expert, but I think by starving people to death and in effect have less production isn't the way to go when you want to achieve the opposite. :crazyeye:

In the same game (first of the expansion) I've also seen Japan who denounced me create an army, bring it to my borders and then have it declare a war on remote Sweden while on the same turn Gandhi who lives on the other side of the world declares a war on me out of the blue (and never sends one unit before offering peace).

17. lollibast

lollibast Warlord

to be honest, it reflects the generall progress of the western world:
    sustainability is overrated, quick profit > all
    declaring war is just fun, we have seen it with GW (should make him US leader in CiVI)

18. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Now that would be funny. "read my lips, no new taxes", yup, definitely pick him :crazyeye:

19. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Or this report by T-Hawk not too long ago. When it is still this ridiculously easy to run a strategy which is counter to every base concept of the type of game you're playing, and still come out ahead, you know that those working on the game still do not know what they're doing.

@ Naokaukodem, when you don't understand the mechanics of either the game you're knocking or the one you're defending, the following is the best advice you'll get: "Better to remain silent and have the world think you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

20. Tlalynet

Tlalynet Emperor

Wow, ICS isn't just alive and well, its stronger than ever.