Civilization 5 Steamworks questions/concerns for inclusion in the FAQ

(...)
The question is: will i be able to play Civ V (single player) on my work PC (with proxy and firewall) by any means? Should I buy a box version (not download) for this? It would be pity if i will not be able to play the game because of steam.

Thanks.
Whether you buy it on Steam or on a physical retailer giving you an actual box with authentic discs and manual inside doesn't matter: you have to tie the game to your Steam account. If you buy it on Steam it'll be done automatically as part of the process once you've confirmed your credit card information. If you took the box version, it'll come with a Steam installer (which, by the way, will significantly reduce the installation duration) and a code to enter in Steam which will then tie the game to your account. So you don't have the choice, the game will have to run with Steam.

I've just peered through the configuration options of Steam and unfortunately, I haven't found any mention of proxy settings. I don't know if it means it'll use the Windows proxy settings as defined in the Internet Options of the configuration panel (and in IE) or if it doesn't bother with it at all.
On the other hand, you can play in offline mode. As long as you've played at least once with Steam online, you should be able to set Steam to offline mode and play Civ V disconnected from Steam. However, I have to confess I have used this option very rarely so there must be other people who know how this works exactly.

Whether you buy it on Steam or on a physical retailer giving you an actual box with authentic discs and manual inside doesn't matter: you have to tie the game to your Steam account. If you buy it on Steam it'll be done automatically as part of the process once you've confirmed your credit card information. If you took the box version, it'll come with a Steam installer (which, by the way, will significantly reduce the installation duration) and a code to enter in Steam which will then tie the game to your account. So you don't have the choice, the game will have to run with Steam.

I've just peered through the configuration options of Steam and unfortunately, I haven't found any mention of proxy settings. I don't know if it means it'll use the Windows proxy settings as defined in the Internet Options of the configuration panel (and in IE) or if it doesn't bother with it at all.
On the other hand, you can play in offline mode. As long as you've played at least once with Steam online, you should be able to set Steam to offline mode and play Civ V disconnected from Steam. However, I have to confess I have used this option very rarely so there must be other people who know how this works exactly.

I used Steam via proxy (from work) few times last year without problems, I only had to have admin privilages to add Steam to Windows firewall setting on that notebook.

I have one question maybe it was asked earlier just have no time to search through 43 pages.

I want to play Civ V on my work PC (its more powerful than home one). The problem is an internet connection is established via proxy on my work and i also do not certain about what ports (that may be necessary for steam client to work) are open.

The question is: will i be able to play Civ V (single player) on my work PC (with proxy and firewall) by any means? Should I buy a box version (not download) for this? It would be pity if i will not be able to play the game because of steam.

Thanks.

1) Steam client doesnt have proxy support
2) Steam client requires 1 successull login via internet
2) Steam client can be launched in offline mode (no internet connection required)

So the answer to your question is: you can play Civ5 on your work laptop as long as you want, in offline mode, but after you install the game you will have to "validate" your installation before you start playing, and that requires an internet connection.

So the answer to your question is: you can play Civ5 on your work laptop as long as you want, in offline mode, but after you install the game you will have to "validate" your installation before you start playing, and that requires an internet connection.
ok how i can to validate it? can i validate it from another PC?
i assume that i will not be able to do it from my work PC because of proxy.:confused:

p.s.: i've just downloaded and installed steam client on my work PC but it does not run, it says that i have to be connected to the internet and exits.

ok how i can to validate it? can i validate it from another PC?
i assume that i will not be able to do it from my work PC because of proxy.:confused:

p.s.: i've just downloaded and installed steam client on my work PC but it does not run, it says that i have to be connected to the internet and exits.

Validation of your copy can be done from any PC of course, but in order to be able to launch the Steam client in offline mode you have to do a successfull login at least once on that PC. In conclusion, a one-time internet connection is needed before you start playing on a new PC.

Maybe there is some way to make the Steam client work through a proxy, I don't know.

Validation of your copy can be done from any PC of course, but in order to be able to launch the Steam client in offline mode you have to do a successfull login at least once on that PC. In conclusion, a one-time internet connection is needed before you start playing on a new PC.

Maybe there is some way to make the Steam client work through a proxy, I don't know.

maybe i will manage to run steam with 3g usb modem. have to try it..

Can anyone tell me what the PC specs are for civ V?
They are not yet known - Greg? :D - but there are several threads about the speculation on this and what system to get to best enjoy civ5.

May 24, 2010

Greetings Civilization fanatics!

One of the first things I want to do as your new Community Manager is to create a comprehensive FAQ to address many of the questions and concerns regarding Civilization 5's Steamworks integration.
We've awaited these answers for a period of time greater than that which remains till release. Elizabeth said she was working on answers weeks before Greg was even hired. The actual promise of the FAQ is two months old and still we don't even know precisely what questions have been asked. Even should 2k finally provide this FAQ, there is likely no time for follow up questions. 2k hasn't even exerted minmal effort to keep us informed on the status of the FAQ. This all feels like nothing more than a cheesy ploy to quiet dissatisfied fans in an attempt to lessen the impact on pre-order sales. Whatever the case, this thing went down in a baaaad way. Not cool.

I don't think it unreasonable to walk away from all this with a bad feeling towards 2k. For various reasons I had a poor view of that company already. That view has totally tanked at this point. Unfortunatly Firaxis is mortally tied to 2k. So be it. I may be in the minority here, but even so, WTH are you thinking 2k??

We've awaited these answers for a period of time greater than that which remains till release. Elizabeth said she was working on answers weeks before Greg was even hired. The actual promise of the FAQ is two months old and still we don't even know precisely what questions have been asked. Even should 2k finally provide this FAQ, there is likely no time for follow up questions. 2k hasn't even exerted minmal effort to keep us informed on the status of the FAQ. This all feels like nothing more than a cheesy ploy to quiet dissatisfied fans in an attempt to lessen the impact on pre-order sales. Whatever the case, this thing went down in a baaaad way. Not cool.

I don't think it unreasonable to walk away from all this with a bad feeling towards 2k. For various reasons I had a poor view of that company already. That view has totally tanked at this point. Unfortunatly Firaxis is mortally tied to 2k. So be it. I may be in the minority here, but even so, WTH are you thinking 2k??
Grag said so much as that there will be info somewhere this week. Therefore: shush!

He also said that the answers would come no later than the end of June. And that it was impropable that it would take that long. Stuff happens though. Fine. Keep us updated. Where is this post where he says the answers are forthcoming? Buried in this thread somewhere? Dealing with delays is one thing. Some things may be out of 2ks hands entirelly. Having to deal with someone who promises something and then totally blows you off is quite another. Isn't it proper to update the OP with status reports? And wouldn't it seem obvious to post the question side of the FAQ in the OP? So we know what was asked. Then have oppurtunity to clarify a question or add a missing one. And post the few answers we've had, along with the questions. Isn't that basic customer service?

2k fails with customer relations. This failure has an associated cost. 2k seems more interested in presenting weak marketing fluff than in relating with their customers concerns. There is no customer servicing here. Nothing but carrot dangling. Fine. Just another cheese ball outfit to add to the "avoid doing business with these quaks" list.

Grag said so much as that there will be info somewhere this week. Therefore: shush!

Will the "info this week" will be the long-awaited FAQ? I don't always read every comment in every thread so can you link us to 2K Greg's statement?

I did see where Greg promised details about the game itself, which is fine but still leaves many other questions unanswered.

Stating the facts about the launch and how game support will work really isn't that complicated. So why are there still so many recurring questions about Steam, mods, game versions, DRM, patches, price-gouging, DLC, multi-player compatibility, etc?

Isn't it proper to update the OP with status reports? And wouldn't it seem obvious to post the question side of the FAQ in the OP? So we know what was asked.

Indeed.

I bet he didn't make a promise.

Is this 2K Greg's statement we are talking about?:

Jul 23, 2010:
You will! And very very soon. I had meant to get out at least one feature this week but sadly it didn't make it. But that just means there will be even more updates next week, and I think you'll like them :)

Bold by me. "One feature" is not a FAQ. :(

He also said that the answers would come no later than the end of June. And that it was impropable that it would take that long. Stuff happens though. Fine. Keep us updated. Where is this post where he says the answers are forthcoming? Buried in this thread somewhere? Dealing with delays is one thing. Some things may be out of 2ks hands entirelly. Having to deal with someone who promises something and then totally blows you off is quite another. Isn't it proper to update the OP with status reports? And wouldn't it seem obvious to post the question side of the FAQ in the OP? So we know what was asked. Then have oppurtunity to clarify a question or add a missing one. And post the few answers we've had, along with the questions. Isn't that basic customer service?

2k fails with customer relations. This failure has an associated cost. 2k seems more interested in presenting weak marketing fluff than in relating with their customers concerns. There is no customer servicing here. Nothing but carrot dangling. Fine. Just another cheese ball outfit to add to the "avoid doing business with these quaks" list.
The proper metric of 2k's value of customer relations in the form of community communication is the number of people that they've assigned to the task, namely one. I suspect that's one more than most companies.

To use any other metric would be to tell Greg how he should be doing his job.

...To use any other metric would be to tell Greg how he should be doing his job.

Didn't Greg himself tell us how he should be doing his job by starting this FAQ thread?

May 24, 2010:
One of the first things I want to do as your new Community Manager is to create a comprehensive FAQ to address many of the questions and concerns regarding Civilization 5's Steamworks integration.

Is it wrong of us to tell him he should be doing his job as he told us he would?

Didn't Greg himself tell us how he should be doing his job by starting this FAQ thread?

May 24, 2010:

Is it wrong of us to tell him he should be doing his job as he told us he would?

Maybe we should limit the FAQ thread to questions and make it slightly easier for him to do his job?
If we post just questions, or answers that we can provide as a community I think this thread would be about half as big and a little easier to read...

for Greg:
Q: If we purchase any retail (i.e. B&M) CiV (V) will it run both on PC and Mac (when its supported) or will we need two copies.

Top Bottom