Civilization 5 Steamworks questions/concerns for inclusion in the FAQ

I thought mods would be hosted somewhere, and available only if you were online. I think being online would mean being online from Steam point of view, but I can be wrong.
We have very little info about what the mod browser is.

For clarification:
- Mods can either be downloaded via the mod browser OR like you do it now, just from a website, and you don't have to go online with Steam for the second option.

AFAIK they confiormed that LAN works in offline mode, but they have not confirmed that you can play LAN with only one copy.
Yeah infact Greg said you would need to buy more than one copy to play LAN, but unless theirs some extra "DRM" to kick players sharing the same ID out of a LAN game, I don't see how this is correct. So we won't know for sure just yet.
It's even more peculiar because 2K Greg more or less asked people to get the 2nd copy to make sure the Firaxis developers are properly fed and all that. It suggests that while it may be illegal according to the EULA, it would not be impossible to play with someone else on a LAN using two off-line steam installations on the steam account.

Whether or not this works on other games is simply irrelevant. Civilization V != other games, so there's no way of knowing what is and what is not technically coded in Civ5 before it's tested (post release).

Who ever said 2K is the only possible thing in the world to provide capital? No one did except for you right above ("Without 2K there would be no Civ 5). If they left 2K somehow, there are more publishers in the sea. Yes, 2K is not the only publisher in the universe Dale! OMG! :eek: And I never claimed any specifics either...

So far, and not necessarily from me, 2K has not brought an overly positive light upon Civ 5. Too much controversy about things has lowered expectations of the game it seems to me. They did not handle these very well at all. They would (or may be) better off with another company IMO.

If you love 2K that much, i don't really mind at all; I just happen to like Firaxis more than I like 2K. Perhaps you like 2K more than Firaxis. That is fine also.

I say they would be better without 2K. I never said anything about any other companies, nor did I say they should be all alone and by themselves.

I love seeing people back-pedal. You keep trying to turn the focus onto me and off the topic, I don't mind. ;)

Do you understand how company ownership works? As in, parent-subsidiary companies? Well, 2K wholly owns Firaxis. The capital line for Firaxis is from 2K. 2K is not just the publisher, but also the owner, financier and ruling overlord to Firaxis. Get it? Ok good. Next step.

You say 2K hasn't done anything for Civ5. Correct? Or more correctly, nothing positive for Civ5. Ok, how about marketing? Fairly positive aspect I would say. The fact you're here posting is because 2K marketing told you about Civ5. There's also legal. They gave the green light (even when they could've shut everything down to protect their legal copyrights) for modding. That's a pretty positive thing wouldn't you say? I notice you've made some mods, so I hope you understand. Then of course there's the executive and bean-counters. They gave Firaxis the money to develop Civ5. They could've easily let go 138 employees instead of just 20 you know. That's a VERY positive thing, letting devs create Civ5. Though you tone does indicate you're not impressed, so maybe developing Civ5 is a negative to you? :)

So yes, 2K paying the bills is an extremely positive thing, and very much cause for Firaxis to want to keep them around. Or do you consider the existance of Firaxis, their ability to create games, and Civ5 a negative? :lol:

I'll leave your whole post alone from the first incorrect statement made at the top
Dale said:
Do you understand how company ownership works? As in, parent-subsidiary companies? Well, 2K wholly owns Firaxis.

In 2005, Firaxis Games was acquired by Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
About Firaxis Games

If you got that wrong, no point to even read beyond the initial grasping at straws statement. :lol:

If you love 2K that much.. no one else really cares... the 2 star rating on 2K Gregs thread proves this that they haven't handled themselves well and that it doesn't reflect the game in the best light.

If 2K wasn't paying whatever they are paying, someone else would... I never stated the opposite, you are making cases about something that never existed; and putting words in peoples mouths to try to make yourself look 'correct'. Yes, it is very odd and deserves another facepalm.

I'll leave your whole post alone from the first incorrect statement made at the top

About Firaxis Games

If you got that wrong, no point to even read beyond the initial grasping at straws statement. :lol:

If you love 2K that much.. no one else really cares... the 2 star rating on 2K Gregs thread proves this that they haven't handled themselves well and that it doesn't reflect the game in the best light.

If 2K wasn't paying whatever they are paying, someone else would... I never stated the opposite, you are making cases about something that never existed; and putting words in peoples mouths to try to make yourself look 'correct'. Yes, it is very odd and deserves another facepalm.

:lol: You are kidding me, right? This has got to be a joke. :lol:

What do you think "acquire" means? Bought, purchased, owns, obtained. :lol:

Keep digging! :lol:

BTW, I don't like 2K. They are on my "banned" list (along with EA, and Ubisoft), and only the fact it's a Firaxis game will I buy Civ5.

Moderator Action: <Sinp> Infraction for trolling

:lol: You are kidding me, right? This has got to be a joke. :lol:

What do you think "acquire" means? Bought, purchased, owns, obtained. :lol:

Keep digging! :lol:

BTW, I don't like 2K. They are on my "banned" list (along with EA, and Ubisoft), and only the fact it's a Firaxis game will I buy Civ5. But stupidity like yours is just inconcievable. Do you actually try hard to be this stupid, or is it natural? And yes, the infraction I'll get for this post is worth showing how much of an idiot you are. :lol:

You said 2K owns Firaxis, I told you Take-Two acquired Firaxis.. you have it mixed up and you were wrong... :lol: :lol:

And you try to cover it up with personal attacks?

so just drop it. You are arguing for no reason other than to argue because if you love 2K, everyone is fine with that, including me.

Everything you did was nothing unexpected.

Do you even know what you are arguing for or against? Because you are pretty much saying the same thing I was before, that 2K hasn't been 'pulling their weight' and doing a good enough job for what Civilization game deserves. If you think otherwise, fine. No one cares.

2 Stars on 2K Greg's thread shows the satisfaction level that 2K is at in certain aspects. You resort to name calling and insults... well, that speaks for itself .. :lol: Another facepalm for bringing the thread to this point.

leave it aht dale 'e ain't wurf it

Speak for yourself. Another statement that deserves another facepalm.

You said 2K owns Firaxis, I told you Take-Two acquired Firaxis.. you have it mixed up and you were wrong... :lol: :lol:

And you try to cover it up with personal attacks?

so just drop it. You are arguing for no reason other than to argue because if you love 2K, everyone is fine with that, including me.

Everything you did was nothing unexpected.

Do you even know what you are arguing for or against? Because you are pretty much saying the same thing I was before, that 2K hasn't been 'pulling their weight' and doing a good enough job for what Civilization game deserves. If you think otherwise, fine. No one cares.

2 Stars on 2K Greg's thread shows the satisfaction level that 2K is at in certain aspects. You resort to name calling and insults... well, that speaks for itself .. :lol: Another facepalm for bringing the thread to this point.

Speak for yourself. Another statement that deserves another facepalm.

More stupidity. When you quoted the excerpt from Firaxis about page, you clearly used a portion of the sentence for your own means. For the enlightened others who are reading this thread, here is the entire sentence that Tom is eloquently quoting....

In 2005, Firaxis Games was acquired by Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., joining its 2K publishing label.

So who owns Firaxis? Who calls the shots? Who finances Firaxis and Civ5? Who provides positive elements to Civ5 through financing, marketing, legal and publishing Civ5 for their subsidiary company Firaxis?

Thus your arguement that 2K is NOT providing anything positive to Firaxis and Civ5, is crap. Isn't that what you initially said pages ago which started this line of conversation? :mischief:

EDIT: And just so you're aware, the personal attacks started when you labelled me a 2K lover. ;)

Just because Firaxis joined 2K, doesn't mean that it was 2K that acquired Firaxis, it was Take-Two. Take-Two is the parent company. You can twist it any way you want. Joined != Acquired.

I don't think 2K is doing too well of a job presenting Civ 5. That's all. If they are trucking in loads of cash, that's great, but any publishing company would do the same I would suppose.

If 2K is doing such a great job, Greg's thread would have 5 stars, not 2.

I don't know what is making you so upset... if there is anything us other forum members can do to assist you, let them know.

Moderator Action: The personal attacks will stop now, or there will be heavy infractions given out

Just because Firaxis joined 2K, doesn't mean that it was 2K that acquired Firaxis, it was Take-Two. Take-Two is the parent company. You can twist it any way you want. Joined != Acquired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firaxis_Games

Type: Subsidiary of 2K Games

Parent: 2K Games
(You'll find it on the right)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-Two_Interactive

Under Current you'll see Firaxis is listed under 2K Games.

What part of "2K wholly owns Firaxis" don't you understand?

I don't think 2K is doing too well of a job presenting Civ 5. That's all. If they are trucking in loads of cash, that's great, but any publishing company would do the same I would suppose.

Ahhh...... so now instead of 2K not giving anything positive to Civ5, you've back-pedalled to "I don't think 2K is doing too well of a job presenting Civ 5"? Seems like quite a change of heart doesn't it? :mischief:

If 2K is doing such a great job, Greg's thread would have 5 stars, not 2.

I've seen lots of good threads be down-rated. And do you rate the quality of a company on the rating of a single thread at a fansite that has nothing to do with the company? Interesting take. :mischief:

I don't know what is making you so upset... if there is anything us other forum members can do to assist you, let them know.

I'm fine thankyou, in fact, I'm quite happy at the moment. :mischief:

Yea, your links say exactly what I stated that Take-Two acquired Firaxis.

Take-Two acquired Firaxis for $27 million including possible performance bonuses.
Take-Two wholly owns 2K Games and Rockstar Games.

Is your logic that since Take2 owns 2K (which is a bit different than 2K Games IIRC, although I don't really care), that 2K owns Firaxis?

The original Sid Meier games are developed by Take-Two's company Firaxis Games.

I wonder what surprises we will get in Civ 5! :eek:
In September 2009, following a lawsuit, Take-Two Interactive were forced to pay a $20 million settlement for an inclusion of a sex mini-game that was included in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

modified a bit to include just 2K and Firaxis said:
Subsidiaries
- 2K Games
- Firaxis Games in Hunt Valley, Maryland, founded in 1996, acquired in 2005.

I don't know what point you are trying to prove so desperately. We all know Take-2 acquired Firaxis, again. Saying the same thing over and over and nitpicking doesn't do anyone any good on these forums.

Here, just to end it... you win. There you go! :band: :beer: :bday: :ar15: [party]

I think that all this blame 2k business is misplaced. If Firaxis had it's own marketing and publishing division, there is no reason to believe that they would be any different. All publishers are are from planet Zog, not just 2k publishers ;).

Yea, your links say exactly what I stated that Take-Two acquired Firaxis.

Is your logic that since Take2 owns 2K (which is a bit different than 2K Games IIRC, although I don't really care), that 2K owns Firaxis?

So what is it that you cannot understand? I'm serious, as I'd like to help you understand their company structure. Take-Two Inc owns a couple of companies including PAM, Rockstar, Take-Two Licensing, 2K Games and 2K Sports. Each of those companies own other companies. It's how large enterprises are setup. Companies within companies. It's security so that if one company (or in this case a studio) goes horribly into debt and folds, it does not impact any other area of the company.

So going on, Rockstar, a subsidiary of TTI, owns studios across the world. These studios operate as individual companies, but are all owned by Rockstar. So Rockstar London (the studio) is owned by Rockstar, who also owns Rockstar North, Rockstar Leeds, etc.

Following on from this, 2K Games also owns a number of studios, including Irrational Games, 2K China, 2K Marin and yes, Firaxis Games.

Take-Two may have made the initial purchase of Firaxis, but assigns "ownership" to 2K Games. It's how Enterprises work.

Even 2K's own "About" page clearly shows that Firaxis is a 2K studio: http://www.2kgames.com/#/about-2k/.

The 2K label has some of the most talented development studios in the world today, including Firaxis Games

Here's one last link, the home run link you could say. :mischief:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_Games
Please note where it lists Firaxis in a list of studios, with one column detailing "Years active (as a 2K studio)". It states quite clearly that Firaxis Games has been a 2K studio since 2005 to present. That is undeniable proof that 2K owns Firaxis.

I wonder what surprises we will get in Civ 5! :eek:

I'm sure Greg will fill us in on more information in the future, and ultimately you'll find out when it's released. :mischief:

I don't know what point you are trying to prove so desperately. We all know Take-2 acquired Firaxis, again. Saying the same thing over and over and nitpicking doesn't do anyone any good on these forums.

Well let's recap. You said 2K has not done anything positive for Firaxis or Civ5. I said they pay the bills, a fairly important and positive thing. You then went on a spree saying that Firaxis wasn't owned by 2K, calling me a 2K lover, and ultimately back-pedalling. My point all along is that 2K's paying of the bills IS a positive thing, thus refuting your original claim that 2K has not done anything positive. :)

Great, I said Take-Two acquired Firaxis... so what are you still going on about?

Take-Two wholly owns 2K Games, who wholly owns Firaxis. Congratulations, the world is a better place now. :lol: So far you have gone on about stuff that I never even mentioned, and have tried to put words in my mouth.

I guess if you feel better by proving you are right to yourself from stuff you said (that no one else ever said or claimed to say), then good job!

Let the thread get back on topic... I'll allow you to have the last word.

Top Bottom