1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 6 Tier List 1.0

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Keaton_AU, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

Yes, but we're speaking English. We should probably stick with English grammar. It's jarring to suddenly see a random Latin plural in the middle of an English sentence.

2. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

Eh, feels weird to me to use such an awful declination.

3. rpgalon

rpgalon Chieftain

Pedro get huge bonus in the early game... bonus in the early game >>> bonus in mid game. also entertainment complex is a UD for Brazil that gives 2 amenities and a carnival project that is godly, generating GPP for merchant, engineer, writer, artist, and musician that synergizes with the 20% GP recoup.

Also jungle bias is good because you have a loot of jungle to harvest and Kickstart cities.

For example of how godly the early game bonus Brazil gets is, if you grab sacred path panteon, each of your holy site in the jungle will produce like 24 faith from adjacency bonus alone (with the 100% adjacency card). compare that with other civs holy site that will need luck to get a holy site with 3-4 faith adjacency bonus in the early game.

Also you get +1 housing from rainforest with your late game neighborhood.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    lamaros likes this.
  4. GT_OKEZ

GT_OKEZ Chieftain

These are good points about Pedro II (Brazil). Maybe I should move them up higher on my personal tier list. I didn't play them much so it's too early for me to judge. It seems like Peter (Russia - ironic they have the same name lol) almost just as good at generating GPP with the cheap early Lavra plus they get the Mother Russia and Tundra bonus which makes them better IMO. Dance of the Aurora Pantheon is quite powerful for Russia.

5. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

To be fair, "campus" as it's used in Civ (and colloquially) isn't even the same as "campus" from Latin. So, there's really no reason to treat it as a Latin word. It's an English word with Latin roots.

DCParry and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  6. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Chieftain

Declination of language from Latin to English? Are you an immortal who is still coming to terms with the fall of the Roman empire almost 1600 years ago? Credere non possum barbaros vicit!

lamaros, Eagle Pursuit and Lyoncet like this.
  7. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

I'm from Brazil, we use Campi here, Campuses sounds really freaking weird to me.

8. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Chieftain

Then to reinforce the comments of others about this being an English forum... "Quando em Roma..." ;-)

Honestly, though I'm just being snarky. Not sure why it's been blown up to this point, but it does amuse!

Lyoncet likes this.
  9. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

Well, I mentioned it for two reasons.

1. I was legitimately thrown off for a moment and had to think about what "campi" would be. Thankfully, there was enough context.

2. Latin declension in English is a pet peeve of mine and it's something that's pretty much only found on strategy game boards (and probably history boards, but I don't frequent any). The most common example is "boni", which is entirely incorrect in English, but persists anyway. I've basically given up on "boni", but if it's spreading to other Latin-root words, then I might just go crazy!

Lyoncet likes this.
  10. rpgalon

rpgalon Chieftain

What makes Russia better than Brazil is the extra tiles from mother Russia, I think that is by far the best bonus in the game.

Russia is not good generating GPP because it gets the culture type GP, they are only worth if you have theater districts, you get no merchant/scientist/engineer that are all far better than the Artist/writer/musician unless you are going for culture victory.

Brazil early bias is also a lot better than Russia not only because 1 food>1 faith early game but also because you can't harvest the rainforests for a kick pop growth and production.

Like I said, what makes Russia really good is the 10 extra tiles they get per new city.... that is Insane and would break almost all other Civs if they received that bonus instead of Russia.

11. GT_OKEZ

GT_OKEZ Chieftain

It's fine because Russia is a civ best geared for a cultural victory so the synergy is good. No doubt Pedro's GP bonus and Carnival are the best for the GP competition across the board but that's all he has.

They both get similar tile bonuses its just in different environment with. But there's probably no better practical bonus than all the tiles you get right off the bat with Mother Russia.

But I'm gonna give Pedro a go when I get home from work today. You talked me into it. :)

12. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Chieftain

Don't forget when the entire StarCraft II community decided the plural of Nexus is Nexi. :/

...Wait, why did I come into the room again? :lol:

13. n3y0

n3y0 Chieftain

I've only had the chance to complete a few games, but from what I've seen:
    1. STRONGLY AGREE about Germany. Frederick's abilities suck, and so does the UU, but that doesn't matter. Hanses and +1 free district are HUGE. This is because having a unique district is itself a huge boon as they're free and cost half as much, and then Germany gets a second free district on top of that. I'm very eager to see which alternate leaders Germany will have, with hopefully better leader abilities.
    2. Rome should be lower. Having a unique district that replaces the aqueduct (Bath) or neighborhood (m'banza) is worse than having any other unique district because those districts don't have pop. requirements anyways. So the only benefit of the Bath is +2 housing and +1 amenity, which is nothing special. Legions are nice, and so is Trajan's column (for a leader ability), but slightly extra gold and roads to start are really lackluster. Gold matters much much less in Civ 6 than 5 and roads will be built anyways.
    3. Arabia and Russia should be higher. I don't know what difficulty this is based on, but I've been playing only Deity and both these civs are excellent in helping keep the player competitive with AI. Playing as Arabia is really the only way to get religion on deity, and their science bonuses are considerable. Russia's unique district and bonuses to tile acquisition are very nice, and Peter's ability really helps on higher difficulties despite being lackluster otherwise.
    4. STRONGLY DISAGREE about America. I played my first game as them, expecting to be disappointed (as has always been the case with America in civ) but was shocked at how great they turned out to be for turtling and then winning in the late game. First thing, Teddy's bonus of +5 combat strength on home continent- it's ridiculous. At the start of the game, that's a 25% increase over the combat strength of a warrior. 25%! It's insane. It essentially meant I never paid the price for neglecting my military. Germany and Arabia both DOW'ed me early on and Germany lost all 3 cities before the war ended. The +5 combat strength more than makes up for the combat bonus the AI gets on deity. The founding fathers ability, which I didn't even know about while playing, is also really powerful. The potential extra legacy bonuses really add up and can be staggering. I ended up accidentally winning a culture victory, due mostly to the UB, and despite not paying attention to culture. The theatre district was the last district I built in each city, and it didn't matter. Between film studios and the 1 national park I made, the AI were toast.

TLDR: Germany is incredibly OP, America is extremely underrated here, Arabia and Russia should be 2nd tier, Rome should probably be 3rd/4th tier

CelJaded likes this.
  14. Calouste

Calouste Chieftain

The M'Banza also comes early enough that you can pretty much avoid building an Aqueduct ever, and avoid building Granaries in any except your very early cities. And of course you never have to build Sewers.

15. lamaros

lamaros Chieftain

This is the opposite of my experience and almost everything I've seen others say on the forum.

Lukasz81 likes this.
  16. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Chieftain

I was going to say the same.

17. Amrunril

Amrunril Warlord

I'm not going to try to weigh in on every civ, as I haven't played most of them and thus don't have much evidence to shift my opinions from my theorycrafting in the first look threads. I do want to offer some thoughts on China though, as I'm playing them in my second game (my first game was with Egypt, but I didn't make good enough use of their abilities to come to any solid conclusions about them) and thought, prior to release, that the were likely to be far and away the most powerful civ.

China's Eureka/Inspiration bonus, my main cause for concern about their balance, is undeniably potent, enabling them to shoot through the tech and civics trees when they're able go get their triggers lined up. Given the game's current balance, though, that isn't an easy task, nor are the rewards as large as expected. Production can be hard to spare for Eureka triggers, and even when the triggers line up with your other priorities, it can simply be hard to keep up and equally hard to afford newly unlocked buildings and wonders.

On the other hand, Qin's leader bonuses are quite potent. Extra builder charges are very useful in the early game, though they fall off later on, once you're going from 5 to 6 charges instead of 3 to 4. The ability to rush wonders makes you a clear favorite to construct any that you prioritize, but less obvious and perhaps more important is the chance to "clean up" unclaimed wonders. Because of terrain requirements and high demands on production, it's likely that a number of wonders will be left unbuilt into the medieval era. Qin can scoop these up for barely more than the cost of a worker and put them any any city that meets the requirements, regardless of how low it's production is. These wonders may not be the ones you would have chosen for yourself, but at such a low opportunity cost, any world wonder is a major bargain.

Overall, I'd say that China is quite a strong civ but not the balance outlier I feared they'd be. That said, it feels like the primary thing holding them back is the current balance between production and science/culture. If this balance shifts in future patches, China stands to be the largest beneficiary.

18. n3y0

n3y0 Chieftain

Can you give an example of someone saying gold is more important than it was before? I didn't say gold was unimportant, only less so than in CiV, especially relative to the new importance of production. Gold costs have increased relative to production, and districts cannot be rushed with gold. Production truly is king in Civ 6, and Rome just doesn't have any explicit benefits in that arena. It's certainly a very well-rounded and versatile civ in this game, but I don't think the slight benefits to trade are as nice a bonus as many have made them out to be.

19. Mrdarklight

Mrdarklight Chieftain

I just came up against Rome's Legion. Wow... I've never fought a unit that was so tough. Takes a lot of damage and deals it too.

20. KmDubya

KmDubya Chieftain

Another benefit of the Legion is the ability to repair pillaged tiles. You can pillage every tile in a city and then after you conquer it you can quickly repair and move on, no need to wait for a builder.

Plus what is the counter to Legions?
    • They arrive faster than swordsmen as they don't require two iron mines or one and an encampment.
    • They are stronger than swordsmen, horsemen, archers and anything else at the time and with the new combat rules more strength makes a huge difference
    • One promo gets them a bunch of str vs archers
    • Massed crossbows would work but are much later in the tech tree.
    • Even Samurai are only 5 str points stronger
    Also I like where they fall in the tech tree compared to setting up a horseman rush. You can set up a small empire of two or three cities and then strike with legions, horsemen need to be out much sooner and require more stuff - two horses or one and an encampment. Another boon is that Legions stay relevant until you upgrade to muskets, horseman have a long time of being outclassed by pikes, crossbows, and knights before you can get to cavalry.