Civilization III Aeon

Congratulations MeteorPunch, this is a very interesting mod. :) :goodjob: I especially like the way you did your techtree. May be I use this methode too for a WWII scenario I´m working on and may be the WWII part of an epic mod that is now in its final betatesting phase.

Some suggestions: May be you should switch in the scenario properties from monthly turn times (January 3882 BC and so on) to yearly turntimes (3882 BC and so on). Your governments definetly need more explanation, especially about tile penalties and trade boni and you could consider to allow a lot more civs in the game on bigger maps.

Keep on your good work! :)
Hey thanks! :cool:

I think the tech tree works well, and could be used to accurately control timelines if someone really puts the effort into doing so, and I think it would work well in your WWII scenario.

The turns are monthly because I originally wanted to have a WW2 scenario within the scenario because there are so many great units and because it's the pinnacle of war in our existence, but that got scrapped, but there's still lots of techs for that section, and it really required turns to be months (2 months per turn I think it is), rather than years. I agree though that in retrospect in would be better to redesign based around years instead of months.

I started off loving the idea of more civs on the map, but the snowball effect of a civ conquering another and gaining power rapidly was too strong. It's still too strong as it is with corruption lessened.

I'm pretty sure I covered everything in the governments Civpedia, but I'll go back and look at that as well whenever I do a real update.

Hi, here are two little File not found-errors:

Art\Units\3 WW1 Tank FRA\..\Panzer\PanzerAttackMetal1.wav
Art\Units\4 Humvee\..\9 Sounds\Tracks\QuadFlackRunBattle.wav

Apart from that I'm enjoying your mod very much and I would love a World Map Scenario :goodjob:

Art\Units\3 WW1 Tank FRA\..\Panzer\PanzerAttackMetal1.wav
I don't know what the issue is here as it works fine on my computer. You should have a file that is located in Civ3\Art\Units\Panzer\ called, "PanzerAttackMetal1.wav"

Can you see if that file is there, or if it got moved somehow?

Art\Units\4 Humvee\..\9 Sounds\Tracks\QuadFlackRunBattle.wav
This one is definitely a problem. You found the problem for 1 Humvee, but 2 Humvees share this file and both have a spelling error.

Open .zip file and place new .ini files in these 2 folders, replacing the old versions.

Civ3\Conquests\Scenarios\AEON\Art\Units\4 Humvee
Civ3\Conquests\Scenarios\AEON\Art\Units\4 Humvee desert

Apart from that I'm enjoying your mod very much and I would love a World Map Scenario :goodjob:
Glad you are liking it.

I've been taking a vacation from modding. :D I'm waiting for some units to be created then I will get back to finishing things, along with a world map, new Civs, and whatever else.

Attachments

• Humvee.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 515
This mod is so interesting. It is such a departure from normal Civ3 and I really love it. I also find it more difficult to get right than many other mods out there. I often find myself focusing on workers or improvements too much and get overwhelmed by a small stack of enemy units, but its enough to make me start over. I just had a great game as Italy/Rome on a Pangaea map and had a massive army that was able to steamroll over those lousy canadians! I think your unit lines are well thought out (though the grenadier doesnt have the bombard flag checked. and i would give him an extra HP) and offer a lot of variety. For instance I found myself relying heavily on crossbowman a lot because they could function as artillery and a powerful offensive support unit at the same time, even though my main attack force was knights/horse guards. There are a few weird ones though: the upgraded squire eventually becomes a tank? i would make that unit upgrade into a grenadier personally as it fits the bill of an elite, but limited in number force. Also, I think Guerillas should not upgrade to patton tanks. I say either have that line cut off (Guerilla's stats are pretty good even by the endgame) and have the patton start a fresh line, or why not make the guerilla a separate stand alone unit that doesnt interfere with the tank line. In fact, you might consider adding a small wonder for the communist gov't called "Revolutionary Guard" or something that produces "Revolutionaries" (akin to the squire) that upgrade to various units: Red Guard for Russia, Viet Cong for a southeast asia civ, Mujaheddin for Iran, etc. But also have a generic unit available for other civs. Basically i think this would just be an interesting way to use guerillas. one last thing before I go to bed: i think you should change armies to the "one unit with +8-10 hp" method. I have yet to see the AI use your armies (or any that arent only 1 unit) and with such a high cities/army ratio i think it would be good to ensure that the AI gets to use these units too.

(tomorrow morning ill write up some more about governments, bunkers, and world maps)

First up, I like the mod. Little hard to get used to, and I still don't fully understand the complexities of the unit lines, but the amount of time put into the flavor units and gameplay is great.

This, however, is a business post, as I was playing as the British, was about to get my golden age with the Crystal Palace, when BOOM! You listed the Crystal Palace splash as BLDG_Crystal_Palace and not just Crystal. Okay, so bug reported.

(As an aside, my first game was with the Japanese, and I got stuck in the middle of a desert and was on the way to doom when I switched to this game.)

Thanks for the bug report Deth.

Here's the updated PediaIcons.txt, which is updated on the first page as well. Put it in this folder, replacing the old one:

Civ3\Conquests\Scenarios\AEON\Text\

Attachments

• PediaIcons.zip
    47.2 KB · Views: 528
Another bug report: 3 SEA DD Tribal needs an AttackA.flc instead of an Attack.flc .

Another bug: the Humvee .ini is looking for a /tracks/quadflackrattle.wav, instead of quadflakrattle.wav.

That's the normal Humvee.
EDIT: And the 4 SEA F is missing an ini file.

Another bug report: 3 SEA DD Tribal needs an AttackA.flc instead of an Attack.flc .

Sorry, I've been extremely lazy lately.

Here's the fix. Put it in this folder, replacing the old one:

Civ3\Conquests\Scenarios\AEON\Art\Units\3 SEA DD Tribal

Another bug: the Humvee .ini is looking for a /tracks/quadflackrattle.wav, instead of quadflakrattle.wav.

That's the normal Humvee.
EDIT: And the 4 SEA F is missing an ini file.
Replacement downloads already exist for these.

Attachments

• 3 SEA DD Tribal.zip
    559 bytes · Views: 452
Idk if you fixed this (tl;dr) but Russia's president is Dmitri Medvedev, it's not Vladimir Putin anymore :p If you fixed this, tell me and I'll depart in shame

In game Vladimir is actually the Prime Minister, not President. I think he still works as a good leader, even though he's not the highest office - he's a cool bro!

Fixed Japanese early archer animation. It goes in this folder:

Civ3\Conquests\Scenarios\AEON\Art\Units\1 Archer JAP

Attachments

• 1 Archer JAP.zip
    72.4 KB · Views: 486
Cool another bug. :lol:

Unzip folder contents into this directory:

Civ3\Conquests\Scenarios\AEON\Art\Units\4 Tank2 Chieftain desert

Attachments

• 4 Tank2 Chieftain desert.zip
    673 bytes · Views: 509
Thanks, if I get anymore errors I'll let you know.

Top Bottom