Civilization III and Linux

I've got C3C patched to v1.22 working just fine under FC4 using Point2Play 2.02 and Cedega 4.4, although it can be a little sluggish at times.

I did have the problems that you are describing, but a quick perusal of the Transgaming message boards showed that this was due to a copy protection issue. Discussing ways to circumvent copy protection is not allowed on this forum, for obvious and understandable reasons, so I can't really offer you any solution, but at least you know what the problem is now. :)

I recently downloaded Cedega, but Civ3 still doesn't work. Vanilla civ simply doesn't run, and Conquests (patched to v1.22) either crashes or freezes when I get to the game setup menus. I'm running Cedega 4.4 under Ubuntu 5.04. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi,

I have installed Civ III on my Ubuntu 5.10 machine. I use cedega 5.0.3. It works but its slow when I compare with windows xp. Anyone has tips to increase performance?
Thanks

OtubrabNad said:
I recently downloaded Cedega, but Civ3 still doesn't work. Vanilla civ simply doesn't run, and Conquests (patched to v1.22) either crashes or freezes when I get to the game setup menus. I'm running Cedega 4.4 under Ubuntu 5.04. Any ideas? Thanks.
My problem was that my graphics card was not 3D graphics enabled. A new nVidia card fixed that. However as the previous posted pointed out, CivIII runs much slower on Linux than it does on Windows. Does anyone know how to improve the performance?

I was able to get CivIII and Conquests working fine with Linux using Cedega. But after I patched them to v.1.22, I get a message saying that I need to insert the cd-rom, however the cd is both in the drive and mounted. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Thanks.

OtubrabNad said:
I was able to get CivIII and Conquests working fine with Linux using Cedega. But after I patched them to v.1.22, I get a message saying that I need to insert the cd-rom, however the cd is both in the drive and mounted. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Thanks.
Hi,

When you say you were able to get civIII working fine, do you mean it runs as fast as windows? If yes, what did you do exactly? I use too cedega 5.1 but it still slow. My machine is an Athlon 1.2Ghz, 384M, GeForce4 MX 4000.
Thanks

neo40 said:
When you say you were able to get civIII working fine, do you mean it runs as fast as windows?
I got civIII working but it runs much slower than on Windows. By "fine" I meant that it's relatively bug-free. Sorry about the misleading adverb.

I managed to install Civ3 and Conquests using Padma's guide but the actual gameplay was so incredibly slow for some reason that it was far from playable on my machine.

Now I'm using VMware Server for running WinXP on Linux and have no problems running Civ3 on that. Mapstat works great too.

I used THIS guide for setting the VMware server up but in hindsight it would probably be better to install an older Windows version (2000, 98 or even ME) as you need to reactivate your Windows XP as it sees the VMware "hardware" instead of the one inside your computer case and thinks you're installing it to a whole new computer.

I must say, that program is great for safely testing out different operating systems. I've tried out a couple of different Linux distros, Solaris 10, Freedos and even FreeBSD.

Sorry Guys, i have some questions.

What's the difference between Wine and WineX/Cedega in terms of running civ3.? does original wine have sound or performance issues which drastically affect the game?

And does VMware server require a copy of windows?

sankyou

Don't apologize. Questions are good! ;)

WineX/Cedega *primarily* includes the proprietary libraries necessary to handle the CD Copy Protection crap. That is why it is a paid-for tool. You can build it from cvs, but you won't get those proprietary libraries. Otherwise, it *should* be pretty close to the current version of wine, itself.

And, yes, for VMWare, you need to have a copy of Windows (or whatever other OS) to install into the server.

Could someone send me a LSANS.fot file? Wine 0.9.40 can play Civ3, but I need a LSANS.fot file in order for it to run (can't load font error 13 stuff). Thanks!

FWIW, I currently run Civ3 - Complete flawlessly in a VMWare Server Win2000 virtual machine. It's not the method I would prefer since it required me to install Windows (if only in a VM), but Wine / Cedega kept giving me errors about having a "debugger" running whenever I tried to play Civ. At least with a VM, you know you are playing it on a system it was designed for.

Could someone send me a LSANS.fot file? Wine 0.9.40 can play Civ3, but I need a LSANS.fot file in order for it to run (can't load font error 13 stuff). Thanks!
You had one right after you installed; when you try running Civ3 -- or at least Civ3c -- it deletes the LSANS.fot file unless you were already running it. (Or unless you chmod a-w the LSANS.fot file :)

Recently, I've been getting the debugging complaints from Wine, too. I think it started with version 9.30, going from WineHQ's site on it... it runs with CVScedega, but slowly.

Attachments

• LSANS.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 448
I have made a patch for wine:dlls/gdi32/freetype.c to make the wine engine return the number of font faces from the original install font if you ask to load a new font with the same family name as one already installed. I also made a hack to make AddScalableFontResource to make a symlink from the required .fot file to the requested .ttf file (this is the major functionality in the .fot files). With these two hacks and making the the .fot file -w civ3c works on 0.9.40 except for the sound buffer not being acked properly on completion (with the last second of the played sound file being repeated ad infinitum, bird chirping and population cheers), and some of the line graphics (the border around the city name and the lines on the foreign advisor screen) being flipped vertically on the screen. I haven't checked out 0.9.41 yet (there were some changes to gdiplus so maybe the line drawing stuff is fixed). The sound problem happens with both ALSA and esd (lots more "clicking" at the start and end of sound clips with esd). If you want a copy of the patch I can send you it and you are willing to build your own wine you can get it to work easy enough.

Matt

I never managed to get Civ3 to install under Wine, but did manage it with Cedega. However, because of my graphics card, I had to use an older Cedega engine. I've had a couple of problems. Firstly, I can't see the lines on the diplomatic advisor screen, so there's no way to tell who's at war with whom and who's got what treaties with whom. Secondly, I get Civ crashing on me occasionally, mucking up my screen resolution in the process. Thirdly, when I finish a game, I can't seem to run the replay thing. Fourthly, and not really a problem with running Civ, is that I can't install the Mapstat utility program, which makes gameplay that much more difficult. That's because it's in a .msi format.

I have recently installed Ubuntu 7.04 beside Windows XP on my Notebook because I can not stand this dozy OS from Redmond anymore. But to be completely indipendent I just need to get Civilization III working under Linux.

I'm currently using the version i have allready installed under Windows but things don't work, allthought i did copy all registry entries related to Civ3 to the Wine Registry as well as I linked the ./drive_c/windows/fonts directory to my genuine Windows Fonts directory. But i'm still getting the "Error loading font" Error. I guess it might have something to do with my graphics card drivers.

Has anyone an idea?

PS: My graphics card is an NVidia Go 7300

I merged your thread into our Linux thread. ;)

Success running Civ3 under wine seems to be variable. I finally gave up even using Cedega, and now run it in a VM that I have Windows loaded in.

If you really want to use wine, read over the rest of this thread. It might give you some help.

Top Bottom