1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Request Thread

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by TheTacticalApe, Oct 2, 2010.

1. DonStamos

DonStamos Mobster Inc©

Just finished 1493, which had a pretty nice section on Palmares. Would LOVE to see it in-game :cool:

2. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Oh i DPed because of my internet! How do i fix that? :cry:

Also, Various ideas for a various... thing:

Ger\Yurt

Spoiler :
    UI:Yurt Camp
    Unlocked at trapping. May be built only on flat horses\sheep\cattle tile. Provides +1 :c5food: food and :c5production: production. May move one :c5citizen: citizen to the Yurt camp(doubles the yields of the camp, if worked).

UB: Ger
    Replaces granary. Instead of the usual granary bonuses, the provides 1 extra :c5food: food from sheep, cattle, horses,and wheat. +15% :c5production: production while building land units.

UB: Ger
    Replaces stable. Instead of the usual stable effects, the Ger increases production from horses, sheep and cattle by 1, and the :c5food: food output of the city by 2. Costs no maintenance.

UI: Ger
    May only be built on a flat plains\grassland tile, and never adjacent to another Ger. Provides +1 :c5food: food, and increases :c5production: production from adjacent stables by 1. If built on a horse\sheep\cattle tile, provides 1 extra :c5production: production.

3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige Chieftain

Two Ideas I have for Civs, 1 Historical, and 1 from the Ace Combat Series:

First the Historical:

Empire of Nicaea:
    Leader: Theodore I Laskaris
    Unique Ability: To Regain Constantinople: Units get +25% Combat Bonus ability when fighting to capture cities. Captured cities convert to the dominant religion of the empire.
    Unique Unit 1: Pronoia Infantry: Weaker than the Longswordsman who replace it, but cheap to buy and produce.
    Unique Unit 2: Archontopoulai: Replaces the Knight, Can hide in rough terrain.
    Capital: Nicaea

And now the Fictional:
    Principality of Belka:
    Leader: Dimitri Heinreich
    Unique Ability: Legacy of the Belkan War: Gain a free technology at the advancement of every era. Unit upkeep reduced by 25%.
    Unique Unit: XB-0 Hresvelgr: Unit functions like an Airship, thus does not replace a unit. Buildable at Lasers.
    Unique Building: Weapons Manufacturing Plant: Replaces Factory, 3 Engineer slots, +25 Great Engineer generation.
    Capital: Dinsmark

4. Scapegrace

Scapegrace Obvious Spambot

Welcome to the forum! Also, good start to your time here.

That's a really interesting UA for Nicaea - kind of like the reverse of Jifford's Armenia. I guess the first part means all units get a 25% Combat Bonus against Cities, which is awesome and could be a little bit broken, especially if you get experienced Siege units (Volley being a thing). The uniques, well, the Archontopoulai is basically CL's Viet Cong on horseback and the Pronoia's kinda bland, but you can't have everything, right? Here's a slight reworking, free of charge.

---

Nicaea (Theodore I)
    Start Bias: Coastal
    Capital: :c5capital: Nicaea
    UA: To Regain Constantinople
    Land Units gain a +25% :c5strength: Combat Bonus when attacking enemy Cities, rising to +50% if the target City used to be owned by you or a Civilization with whom you have a Declaration of Friendship. Captured Cities convert to the dominant Religion in the Empire.
    UU: Allagion (replaces Longswordsman)
    Weaker than the Longswordsman it replaces (17 :c5strength: vs. 21), the Allagion is slightly cheaper to build and may be bought with :c5gold: Gold at half the usual price. However, its true power lies in its unique promotion, "Pronoiarios", which grants a +5% :c5strength: Combat Bonus for each Bonus or Strategic Resource Tile within range of the City in which it was trained, and a +10% one for each Luxury Resource Tile within range of that City. Requires Horses instead of Iron.
    UU: Archontopoulai (replaces Knight)
    Unlike the Knight it replaces, it starts with Formation I, Cover I, and a unique promotion, "Sons Of The Victorious Dead", that allows them to deal +33% additional damage to any unit that has killed a Nicaean unit, including Cities. Similarly, it has no Combat Penalty against cities either. While more expensive, it is considerably cheaper to buy with :c5faith: Faith and does not require the Holy Warriors belief to do so.

---

Whatcha think? =]

5. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

These aren't really suggestions, as I could (and hopefully will) do these civs myself, but I thought I'd post some ancient civs for u guise. ;)

First, have three Egypts:

6. TLhikan

TLhikan Chieftain

Not exactly a request, unless anyone is super interested, but here's an idea I posted on a reddit thread about American States as civs.

Arkansas- Orval Faubus (or Bill Clinton. We don't have a lot of leaders who are both famous and noncontroversial. Faubus probably would be pretty well remembered in Arkansas if it weren't for one terrible decision).
    "Natural State": +2 gold from improved sources of Gems. After reaching the industrial era, cities with at least one unimproved forest tile next to a river gain double tourism. (We're big on outdoors tourism and have a lot of rivers. Plus, the only active diamond mine in the US).

UB: Corporate Headquarters: Replaces Stock Exchange. Along with the regular effects of the Stock Exchange, each one built has a random +15% boost to either food, production, gold, or a +50% increase in land trade route range sent from that city. (I mean, what else do the rest of you know Arkansas for other than Walmart anyway? We also have Tyson, Dillards, JB Hunt...)

UU: Reorganized Militia: Replaces Rifleman, slightly weaker but cheaper. gives +1 happiness when garrisoned; +15% combat strength against barbarians and +15% more inside your territory. May randomly spawn for free when a barbarian unit enters your territory. (The Arkansas State Militia was reformed after the Civil war to fight the KKK and other anti-freedmen/Republican/Unionist militants.)

7. DonStamos

DonStamos Mobster Inc©

That UA is spot-on. In fact, that whole idea is spot-on. Would love to play it.

8. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

I'm not sure I really get the whole 'conquered cities convert to your religion' thing for Nicaea. given almost all of her conquering energies were directed West against the Latin empire in lands almost entirely populated by Orthodox Greeks, rather than East against Muslim Turks. Though the city capturing idea is of course fairly accurate.

Er... thats probably a bad idea.

9. Natan35

Dat name though...
    ;) :lol:

10. Scapegrace

Scapegrace Obvious Spambot

I was just trying to stick as closely to the original UA as I could. If it was me, I'd increase religious pressure from the Capital for each city conquered, but I liked NO's idea too much to adjust it for that. The only real change was expanding the bonus against cities to be more thematically appropriate. =]

11. Noblesse Oblige

That actually sounds very amazing how you reset up the Pronoia's capabilities. To be fair, I have to go back to look up Allagion, but otherwise it perfectly captures a Civilization looking for reconquest.

12. calcul8or

calcul8or Chieftain

I see you've picked up on my desire to avoid controversial leaders :lol: (If you don't know, I am the author of a series of mods of US states.)

I like your ideas, don't know if I will get to it, so if others want to take it on, they are welcome to.

13. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Personally, I like all the ideas put forward for the Nicaea, but I don't think any of them actually suit Nicaea. Nicaea was never a military superpower and those two designs both give her huuge buffs to warmongering, which isn't something she excelled at historically. Nicaeas big things were a flowering of Greek awareness, a removal of taboos about 'Hellenes', a renaissance in art and culture, and the ability to hold out despite being kicked out of constantinople, grip tight and survive until they were able to take it back. That to me says cultural turtle civ with some bonuses for reconquest.

14. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

I agree with Urdnot Scott, although that UA name is really awesome.

Also, it would be fun to make a fourth crusade pack. :)

15. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Byzantine Empire Split

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  16. Natan35

What about my Justinian idea?

17. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

As you said, that's your idea not Urdnot_Scott's. He's still formulating his own, I'd presume.

18. Noblesse Oblige

Personally, when I came up with the Nicaea Civ Idea, I avoided using Michael since although he was the Nicaean Emperor who conquered Constantinople and restored the formal Byzantine Empire under the Palaiologi. I find him to be more fitting as leader of the Byzantines proper since he was Emperor from Constantinople longer than he was Emperor in Nicaea (21 years vs. 2) but that's just me. Plus I never really considered Nicaea being a predominantly cultural state, though I think that may be more a consequence to the fact that Constantinople, and for the most part much of Greece was under the control of Frankish (or rather a combination of French, Flemish and Italians), Schismatic Christians.

I chose Theodore Laskaris specifically because I saw him as a capable military leader, same as Michael VIII, and although the latter conquered Constantinople, I saw in Laskaris and that of his son, John III Doukas Vatatzes, someone who set the capacity to, and set the stage for the conquest that Michael VIII would achieve within the two years on the throne.

That aside, I'm a big fan of your civ splits, and I'd actually love to one day play as Oscar II of Sweden-Norway and Basil II of Byzantium (though I don't think Basil was really known as a religious individual, outside of playing a role in the Christianization of Kievan Rus'.)

19. Natan35

Yeah... Scott=genius.
    Hail the Emiratesball!
    (Also, i WANT Nicea...)

20. Noblesse Oblige

I came up with an alternative Seleucid civ (even though I know of and enjoyed Hiram's Seleucid Empire civ)

Seleucid Empire
    Leader: Antiochus III
    Unique Ability: Overlords of the East: Gain +1 Happiness for every city you take from an enemy civilization or City-State. +10% combat bonus for all units during battles against civilizations that control cities you originally built.
    Unique Unit: Silver Shield Legionnaires: Replaces the Swordsman, currently unsure what to make it unique.
    Unique Building: Peroikos Camp: Replaces the Barracks, In addition to the +15XP Bonus, a unit on guard in a city with this building has a 10% combat bonus.
    Capital: Antioch