1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Request Thread

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by TheTacticalApe, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Scapegrace

Scapegrace Obvious Spambot

Or, instead of the Jager for Oscar II's Sweden-Norway (and it really ought to be Oscar I running that but w/e):-

UU: Krigsskip (replaces Battleship)
    Lower :c5strength: Melee Combat Strength than the Battleship it replaces (48 :c5strength: vs. 55). However, it is 5% cheaper for every Declaration of Friendship you have with another Major Civilization. Starts with both Bombardment I and Targeting I, as well as a Unique Promotion, "Steen Rearmaments", that allows it to generate lump sums of Production for the City in which it was trained for each kill.

---

This is directly inspired by the comprehensive Norwegian rearmament program during the dying embers of the Union, particularly the purchase of four British dreadnoughts (hence the additional discount). It was kind of a last-ditch attempt to save the union in the face of Swedish sabre-rattling, which makes sense from that perspective as well. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a better term than krigsskip, which just means warship. Whatcha think? =]

2. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

Yay, Sweden Split! :D JFD's claimed all of them though, I really want to do Gustav Vasa and Gustav III at some stage. Also, wouldn't Bernadotte perhaps be a better leader of Sweden-Norway? If JFD's doing Oscar, I might take him on as well (though there's a high chance I'd be stretched for uniques at this stage :p).

3. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Well, Oscar II and I are Bernodattes, but you probably mean Charles XIV :p The problem with him is that, being one of Napoleon's Marshal, you don't think of Nobel Prize as a good UA for him.

That could work. I've used generic names before (Kontreadmiral) and the "cheaper for every DoF" is superb :D

4. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

I do. Is that bad? :p

5. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Well its just that Oscar II was a renowned man of the arts and sciences and was presided over the actual foundation of the whole Nobel Prize thing, which is why I think a science focused Sweden fits him way better than Charles XIV or especially Oscar I.

6. Scapegrace

Fair point. However, I would point out that it's under Oscar II that the Union falls apart. Not knocking your choice, for a science- and GP-centric Civ it's a good call, but yeah. =]

7. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle King of the Whale Sharks

Oh, this one seems particularly interesting (the UA name also gives an epic feel to it) :D

And not to break discussion on the Sweden Split, but are there any ideas out there for a Mongol revision? I know there are already existing revisions for Mongolia (and they're already very powerful in the vanilla game), but I feel there's still some different stuff that can be done. Plus, an existing mod never prohibits an alternate take on a civ!

I've been floating around some ideas and here's what I have so far:
    EDIT: Some more ideas:
    * This is very much the heavily war-focused version I brainstormed. They are focused being on extremely mobile, especially with Khans. Khans providing additional movement to mounted units, on top of beginning a turn on horses, is to represent how forces still acted swiftly and effectively even when they were split.
    ** I replaced the Keshik with the Mangudai since I wanted to represent the use of feint attacks (in some cases) in correlation with suicide cavalry. Keshiks were also body guards of Khans anyways, so I feel the combat bonus near great generals/khans adequately represents that (albeit vaguely)
    *** This version of Mongolia is meant to represent the more cultural side of the civ, as well as their steady integration into the various peoples they conquered. The Ger also represents this, as well as the eventual conversion of the Mongols into various religions over the history of the empire. The WLTKD from Khans being born is also to represent the Kurultais and the ascension of a new Khan.
    **** Veteran Khans and Khagans count as veteran mounted units in regards to the UA.

8. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

No, I have revised mongolia ideas too. Will post them soon.

9. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

No clue if i'm asking in the right place, but i'm wanting to take a quick break from Greek States and make something Medieval.
    I had this idea.

But the UA name and the UU name are kind of bad, the UA and UU could probably be more interesting.

I'm interested in working with other people for once (especially since i can't model a unique improvement to save my life) rather then alone on my Greek States and wondered if this was a good place to ask.

10. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

11. Scapegrace

I second Hoop's comments, not least because calling Wessex medieval is, er, something of a stretch.

12. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

I'm too late for the Sweden discussion? :sad:

Oscar is not a good choice for a leader for the Union, the only leader I think everyone could accept would be Karl Johan, who was also pretty popular in Norway (the biggest street in Oslo is named after him). The Nobel Prize UA could potentially go to a Norwegian, with a name change. I think Håkon VII would fit pretty well.

Also, hearing Unique names in my native language (Norwegian and Swedish are very, very similar) is... weird. Both Krigsskip and Jager sound pretty lame in my ears.

EDIT: I find it funny that Urdnot_Scott's Karl XII trait is called almost the exact same as my Harald Hardråde trait. :p

13. Natan35

Suggestions for the Mongols:

The Mongol Empire
    Spoiler :
    Leader: Genghis Khan
    UA: Mongol terror
    Mounted units gain +1 :c5moves: movement and +33% :c5strength: combat bonus against cities. Automatically establish embassy at the capital of any civilization you meet.

UB: Ger
    Replaces stable. Instead of the normal stable effects, the Ger provides +1 :c5food: food from horses and sheep, and increases mounted unit production by 25%. Upon building a Ger, all horses and sheep resources in the city's territory are improved.

UU:Keshik
    Replaces knight. Starts with the Great generals I promotion. When stationed near great general, grants the great general I promotion to adjacent units. Receives a friendly lands bonus. Costs more :c5production: production.

The Mongolian Empire
    Spoiler :
    Leader: Ögedei Khan
    UA: Pax Mongolica
    :trade: Trade routes to other civilizations provide 1 extra :c5science: for you per every technology that they have researched and you haven't. Trade routes other civilizations send to you provide double :c5science: for you. Upon connecting a city to the capital, gain :c5science: science and :c5gold: gold boost.

UI: Yam
    Unlocked at civil service. Provide 1 extra :c5gold: GPT per every trade route sent to your cities that goes through a Yam, and provides double the :c5gold: gold output of caravans sent to other civilizations when a the trade unit moves through the Yam* If worked. Units stationed on a Yam heal extra 10 HP per turn. the Yam yields additional 1 :c5gold: gold and :c5culture: culture after banking.

*if a caravan that gives 12 gold moves though a yam, you will receive 24 gold at that turn.

14. Natan35

Suggestions for the Mongols:

The Mongol Empire
    Spoiler :
    Leader: Genghis Khan
    UA: Mongol terror
    Mounted units gain +1 :c5moves: movement and +33% :c5strength: combat bonus against cities. Automatically establish embassy at the capital of any civilization you meet.

UB: Ger
    Replaces stable. Instead of the normal stable effects, the Ger provides +1 :c5food: food from horses and sheep, and increases mounted unit production by 25%. Upon building a Ger, all horses and sheep resources in the city's territory are improved.

UU:Keshik
    Replaces knight. Starts with the Great generals I promotion. When stationed near great general, grants the great general I promotion to adjacent units. Receives a friendly lands bonus. Costs more :c5production: production.

The Mongolian Empire
    Spoiler :
    Leader: Ögedei Khan
    UA: Pax Mongolica
    :trade: Trade routes to other civilizations provide 1 extra :c5science: for you per every technology that they have researched and you haven't. Trade routes other civilizations send to you provide double :c5science: for you. Upon connecting a city to the capital, gain :c5science: science and :c5gold: gold boost.

UI: Yam
    Unlocked at civil service. Provide 1 extra :c5gold: GPT per every trade route sent to your cities that goes through a Yam, and provides double the :c5gold: gold output of caravans sent to other civilizations when a the trade unit moves through the Yam* If worked. Units stationed on a Yam heal extra 10 HP per turn. the Yam yields additional 1 :c5gold: gold and :c5culture: culture after banking.

*if a caravan that gives 12 gold moves though a yam, you will receive 24 gold at that turn.

15. Scapegrace

Here's something ever so slightly different.

---

Angola Janga (Zumbi)
    Start Bias: Jungle
    Capital: :c5capital: Serra da Barriga
    UA: Mocambo
    Gain 1 free :c5citizen: Citizen in a City you have founded each time a Major Civilization issues a Declaration of War against you. Signing a Peace Treaty with another Major Civilization generates an amount of :c5goldenage: Golden Age points that increases with how long they have been at war with you.
    UU: Palmarista (replaces Marine)
    A radically different unit to the Marine it replaces, it has vastly lower :c5strength: Combat Strength (25 :c5strength: vs. 65) but keeps the bonuses. Additionally, it starts with +1 :c5moves: Movement, access to Recon Unit promotions, and two unique promotions of its own. The first, "Brincar de Angola", allows them to move after attacking, ignore Zones Of Control, and gain a +25% :c5strength: Combat Bonus each time they attack that turn (for instance, if they were capable of attacking twice, the first attack would have a +25% bonus while the second attack would have a +50% bonus). The second, "Join The Mocambo", grants a permanent +2% :c5strength: Combat Bonus each time the unit pillages a Plantation. It is unlocked at Economics rather than Penicillin, and upgrades to Great War Infantry.
    UB: Macoco (replaces Arsenal)
    Standard Arsenal benefits. When at peace, Jungle Tiles within range of a City generate +1 :c5food: Food and :c5goldenage: Golden Age point. When at war, they also add a +5% bonus to City Defensiveness. Does not require a Castle to be built.

16. Natan35

Nice idea, Scapegrace.
    your African ideas are better then anyone else's African ideas.

17. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

That's south american, Natan.

18. Natan35

But Angola is....
    well, regardless.

19. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

Scapegrace suggested Angola Janga, not Angola. Better known as Palmares, or Quilombo dos Palmares.

20. Scapegrace

For the benefit of Natan, Angola Janga ("Little Angola") was a colony founded by runaway slaves in the modern region of Alagoas, which is on the coast of Brazil. The reason it's called Little Angola is because, like, nine out of ten slaves in the Portuguese colony of Brazil came from Angola. It wasn't just slaves, though; Angola Janga was home to mixed-race people of all stripes, Native Americans, and even white Portuguese trying to escape conscription. Also they arguably invented the first MMA in capoeira, which combined Imbangala fighting styles with Native American arts - which is pretty damned cool to me, speaking as a martial arts dabbler and general weaponry geek.