1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Request Thread

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by TheTacticalApe, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Opera

Opera Chieftain

Why founded cities would be puppets, though? I don't see how that works well with anything else in the civ. It may be thematically relevant but that's debatable.

2. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Because, hanse never really ruled its cities.

3. Scapegrace

Scapegrace Obvious Spambot

Debatable. At best.

4. Natan35

Waiting for you proposal, councilman scapegrace.

5. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Uh... no, it really isn't. The Hansa was a loose confederation of merchant cities, half of which were already part of sovereign nations. Lubeck had literally no say in how Riga, Hamburg or London was run. If any civ deserves the puppet thing, its the Hansa.

Natan, I'm gonna say what I always say about your designs. Its effect overload! All the effects are right for the civs, so I can't complain about that, but when you have *this* many effects, it just looks ugly. I mean you literally have a professionally modded civ to compare yours with, given JFD already did Prussia and it has 2 abilities in its UA compared to your 3 (each with a secondary effect so actually 5) and 5 for the Hansa! Aside from how confusing, crammed and ugly it looks, its also just not done and so doesn't follow either the modded or the firaxis precedent. It usually goes like this:

UA: Primary ability (which *can* include two effects, if closely related). Smaller, secondary ability thematically linked to primary ability.

Regarding some of the details.

Hansa has 2 UBs, which I don't personally like, its generally the done thing to include a UU somewhere in the civ.

The Kontor is completely useless to the Hansa apart from the small UA effect, because the Hansa wouldn't be able to work it when built, since you can't work stuff outside of your nations territory/

The Hanse building has, like the UA, too many effects and would be confusing for the player to use.

Prussia should get an elite military unit, a cheap, weak militia makes no sense for the nation which defined military strategy and training for hundreds of years. Furthermore, the Juncker doesn't fit in with the overall design, its clearly set up to be a warmonger civ and so the inclusion of a Great Merchant, with so many different effects, most of which aren't related to the military, is a bit weird. It could definitely work *if* the existing military UU was more interesting or powerful, but right now it isn't. Also, the Juncker is insanely overpowered.

Also, Prussias UA is all over the place. Some of the bonuses stack unnecesairly, like, why would you need less of a combat strength reduction from unhappiness if you don't net much unhappiness from occupied cities? Either bonus works, you don't need both. Furthermore, the first part of the UA might as well be 'No unhappiness penalty on combat strength' since, why does your units combat strength matter if you aren't at war? Thats a pointless bonus.

6. Opera

Opera Chieftain

Sure... but that doesn't at all fit the idea that city they'd found would be puppets. I'm sure there are better ways to go about it.

You could switch Venice's UA to the Hansa. You could give the Hansa the ability to pop unremovable UIs in foreign lands, giving gold and culture, plus a chance to convert allied city-states in puppet cities (maybe provided they've also got a trade route with the Hansa).

Other than that, I was mostly reacting to the overload of effects into the UA and that the puppet effects didn't seem to work with anything else but were just there "because it's the Hansa".

7. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you that it isn't really right here, I was just pointing out that saying its debatable that the Hansa didn't rule each city directly is totally wrong.

8. Natan35

Okay, okay....

Hanseatic league
    Spoiler :
    UA: Hanseatic Dominance
    During :c5goldenage: golden ages, Naval :trade: trade routes provide extra 3 :c5gold: GPT and increase Naval unit :c5production: production by 15%. In the first 4 cities you found, gold buildings are automatically built. All other cities you found are :c5puppet: puppets and may not be :c5occupied: occupied.

UB: Hanse Hall
    Replaces Bank. Instead of bank's usual effects, it increase the :c5gold: gold output of the city by 33%, and increases :c5production: production and :c5gold: gold from incoming :trade: trade routes by 2. +1 :c5gold: gold from :trade: trade routes per each national wonder in the city.

UI: Kontor

May be built in other civilization's territory. Trade routes to cities with kontor produce extra 2 :c5production: production and :c5gold: gold, and each Kontor increases production output in non-puppet cities by 1 per each trade route sent to the city it was built in.

And...

Prussia
    Spoiler :
    UA: Blood and Iron

Friendly city states will declare war on enemies that have less :c5influence: influence with them then you. The effects of :c5unhappy: Unhappiness reduced by 50%. conquered city states and cities you gain through deals are automatically assimilated to your empire.

UU: Junker

Replaces great merchant. Instead of the great merchants effects, the Junker may be used to found estates( each estate yields 3 :c5gold: gold and :c5culture: culture) that claim all adjacent tiles. Junkers increase :c5unhappy: unhappiness by 3, but reduce the cost of purchases while stationed in cities. After industrialization, Junkers can be used to instantly build 3 factories.

9. Opera

Opera Chieftain

I still don't like the UA. It's the same thing as Venice, can't have non-puppets (although I guess you can by conquest) and you have a UB which you'll only build once because you can't do anything in puppets - and even then you won't build it because of the UA!

10. Natan35

This civ is based on naval conquest and trade. It also fits tall game. Not my style either.
    (This UA is definitely not like Venice, though.)

11. Opera

Opera Chieftain

As a relative newcomer in the new civilizations scene, I'm surprised there isn't any alternate Byzantium leader. I love Theodora but Byzantinophiles are usually quite vocal and I'd have imagined someone'd have created another leader for them.

12. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

I don't know when I'm going to actually make this, but I was just now working on an alternate byzantine map: (Not finished btw)

Spoiler :

13. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Sweden Split

14. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Can you think of an alt Oscar II UU? I couldn't adapt your arrangement without conflicting with my Bismark UU.

15. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Yeah, I had some trouble with that given Sweden was officially neutral from the Napoleonic wars onwards. Is it the effect that needs to be revised or just the name? In terms of other units all I could thing of would be something like 'Vik Vakt' or 'Skyddskår' or just 'White Guards' which were volunteer regiments sent to Finland during the Russian/Finish civil war to fight against the Russians/Commies alongside the Finns, so it fits the existing effect pretty well.

Does that mean some of my design could be used in your Sweden split?

16. Natan35

Suggestions for uniques:

Justinian I
    Spoiler :
    UA: Pax Byzantica
    Units gain :c5strength: combat boost after giving :c5gold: gold gifts to city states. Each declaration of friendship increases the :c5strength: combat strength of units in non friendly territory by 10%(up to 50%).

UA: Rebuilding and Reconquest
    Captured cities will lose less population and will be in anarchy for less time based on length of the :c5war: war. Wonders increase building :c5production: production by 5%, and wonders in conquered cities provide 1 extra :c5culture: culture.

UU: Dormon
    Available at theology, instead of Compass unlike the Galleys which it replaces. Has slightly lower :c5strength: combat strength, but has a large bonus against naval units.

UU: Bucellarii
    Replaces Horseman. Has a much higher production and maintenance cost, but has higher :c5strength: combat strength, and comes in two versions: one with great generals II promotion, that has higher strength(in addition to the units boost), and one with great generals I promotion that boosts the strength of adjacent units.

17. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

I don't know, but I meant just in case I were to do an Oscar II as a part of the split, I couldn't use your Jaeger as their UU.

18. Natan35

Also: nobody else thinks Sweden should get world congress project bonus? I mean, noble prize...~

19. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

That's such a niche and largely useless bonus though. Sometimes gameplay is more important than encapsulating every possible angle of a civ. Besides, the Nobel prize isn't even an international thing or a UN resolution, its a Swedish and Norwegian thing.

20. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist