Civilization

Can a person conspire with themselves? Well, when writing fiction, I suspect you have to.

Tell that idea to stop lurking and come out to play.

Can a person conspire with themselves? Well, when writing fiction, I suspect you have to.

Tell that idea to stop lurking and come out to play.

I looked around last night in the forum and found the "theories" in question.

I kind of like this idea that I could be anywhere...anyone.

Maybe I'm you.

You might not even know that you're a figment of my imagination.

You could even be me!

Spoiler :
Just kidding. :crazyeye: Any of my writing is way below the caliber of this, so I couldn't possibly be Helmling. Amazing that this is my first post in this thread, which I never have got around to reading through all the way. But I do intend to.

You could even be me!

Spoiler :
Just kidding. :crazyeye: Any of my writing is way below the caliber of this, so I couldn't possibly be Helmling. Amazing that this is my first post in this thread, which I never have got around to reading through all the way. But I do intend to.

Perhaps Merritt Stone is actually Gene Roth, and vice versa! Yes, classes started up again today, so I'm even more mental than usual...
Oh, and I see you're back to being a Jedi Master!

You could even be me!

Spoiler :

...what if Helmling is...all of us :eek:
Also cpm(Helmling?) I'm so sorry...

And I thought this was finished in Oct 2013. What a pleasant surprise. I've got some reading to enjoy. :coffee:

This is like accessing a dusty old archive and discovering an unread collection of short stories by a favorite author.

(Probably instigated by your earlier work I picked up moo2 from gog.com this past winter for some nostalgic fun. It is still a good game - it can be fun to play a 4x game that doesn't have any of the exponential growth damping mechanics of more recent titles.)

Illianor, glad you enjoyed it!

Olodune, I sometimes still enjoy a good game of MOO2 as well. It holds up very, very, very well. The graphics are horribly dated, but the gameplay is still rich. I wish its tech tree was more like MOO1 and sometimes I'm struck by the ridiculous AI. I play at "Impossible" and there are times when any of the AI around me could swat me like a bug and end my bid, but don't. Still, lots of fun.

Helmling, this is hands down. The best piece of writing I have seen, basically ever. I know that people have asked you to do this before but... for the sake of the singularity publish it! Please. If you ever write another story on this forum about any Civ game even the ones I haven't actually played tell me. Your writing is amazing and I have only just discovered it. I have read this story and loved it. Now that the story is over I think I have the shakes from withdrawal. I'm pretty sure your writing is both physically and mentally addictive. Now after those drug jokes, bye.

Helmling, this is hands down. The best piece of writing I have seen, basically ever. I know that people have asked you to do this before but... for the sake of the singularity publish it! Please. If you ever write another story on this forum about any Civ game even the ones I haven't actually played tell me. Your writing is amazing and I have only just discovered it. I have read this story and loved it. Now that the story is over I think I have the shakes from withdrawal. I'm pretty sure your writing is both physically and mentally addictive. Now after those drug jokes, bye.

Dude...what do I say to that?

Maybe...Yes?

Yes to what? Publication? Believe me, friend, if there was anyone who wanted to put any of my stuff in print, I'd jump at the chance.

If it's "yes" to more stories...well...I will admit I have another idea, but it will have to wait until I finish my current novel. No promises, though! Each time I come up with a new idea, it seems more ambitious than the last. I'm not sure I have it in me.

Anyway, thank you very much for your kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Hey Helmling,

I just registered, but I read the whole story today, because of nothing to do in the office... Thank you very very much for this awesome/epic stroy!! I appreciate the time and work you put in this! It would be nice to read something similar (or completely different?) from you in the future!!!

Thanks again

Patrick Pelikan

Hi Helmling,

I logged in for the first time in absolute ages after running across this story. I don't think I've ever read a 517-post thread in one sitting before. Fantastic job! I've been thinking for a while of doing something similar with Beyond Earth (the sci-fi setting is more appealing to me), and this might just inspire me to go through with it.

Thanks for the story!

Great story, took me three days to chew through all of this, but it was worth it. You also had some interesting ideas shown on it, and you really did great at making every turn interesting in some way, even those who might've not been.

Also, do you really have an even more ambitious idea?! Holy...

Hi Patrick, Miguel and Crazy Scot,

Glad you enjoyed it. Looking back, it was a lot of fun to write. It certainly made me feel more constructive about the hours I sunk into the game. And yes, I do sometimes think about doing another. In fact, it seems like CrazyScot might be reading my mind a little bit...

Top Bottom