1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilizations in Civ 5: Asia

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Optimizer, Jun 11, 2008.

?

What Asian/Middle Eastern civilizations do you want in Civ 5?

1. Hittites

61 vote(s)
    28.5%
  2. Israel

84 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. Babylon

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
  4. Sumeria

103 vote(s)
    48.1%
  5. Assyria

68 vote(s)
    31.8%
  6. Egypt

160 vote(s)
    74.8%
  7. Phoenicians

72 vote(s)
    33.6%
  8. Carthage

127 vote(s)
    59.3%
  9. Arabia

149 vote(s)
    69.6%
  10. Huns/Magyars

63 vote(s)
    29.4%
  11. Berber/Maghreb

26 vote(s)
    12.1%
  12. Persia/Iran

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
  13. Pakistan

15 vote(s)
    7.0%
  14. Indus civilization

30 vote(s)
    14.0%
  15. India

157 vote(s)
    73.4%
  16. Thailand/Siam

80 vote(s)
    37.4%
  17. Khmer/Cambodia

90 vote(s)
    42.1%
  18. Malaya/Malaysia

30 vote(s)
    14.0%
  19. Indonesia

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  20. Vietnam

52 vote(s)
    24.3%
  21. Mongolia

160 vote(s)
    74.8%
  22. China

175 vote(s)
    81.8%
  23. Korea

135 vote(s)
    63.1%
  24. Japan

175 vote(s)
    81.8%
  25. Other, please specify

24 vote(s)
    11.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zenon_pt

Zenon_pt Civing on the real world

This is too much widespread. Each civ have there unique caracteristics to give to the game, if you oversimplify you gan none.

2. Kao'chai

Kao'chai Newbie in Modding

Carthage is good civ , but israel was more ifluential .

3. Saim

Saim King

True. While they had some level of importance in ancient Near Eastern politics, they are probably one of the most overrated civs.

Sumer, Greece and the Maya definitely should be in, I'm not disputing that. I was just pointing out that some of the civs in the game are not single states, rather, they are groups of states.

Greece was made up of multiple states: Athens, Sparta, Corinth, and more controversially, Macedonia.

Sumer was made up of Ur, Uruk, etc. while the Maya where made up of Mayapan, Chichen Itza, etc.

I'd go with 3 minimum myself, and they would be:

The Cholas
    -Representation for the southern end of the subcontinent
    -Only Indian state that conquered any part of the world other than the Indian subcontinent, Middle East or Central Asia

Magadha
    -First great Indian empire
    -Controlled nearly all of India except for the southern tip, as well as parts of Central Asia (although this can also be seen as part of the subcontinent, depends on your definition).
    -Under Ashoka one of the main forces that spread Buddhism
    -Created the Edicts of Ashoka
    -Had multiple great dynasties

(Nanda dynasty)

(Maurya dynasty)

(Sunga dynasty)

1. You mean they where the Jewish god that the Jewish people where the only people to write about until the rise of Christianity in Rome and Islam in Arabia? :rolleyes:
    2. The Crusade makes no sense - thats like saying that Australia should be in because the Japanese bombed Darwin! It was the Byzantines that began the crusade, and the Papal States, Holy Roman Empire, English and Venetians that continued it (I think I might be forgetting some too).
    3. The Arab-Israeli war makes some sense - but do modern and ancient Israel really have any continuity? I guess they have some in that they are both Jewish states, meaning that Judah could be added as well in an "Israelite Empire".
    4. Yeah, only a colony that managed to create its own empire and nearly defeat the Romans.:rolleyes:" align="" border="0" />

4. Saim

Saim King

That was my point. I was responding to someone suggesting that the Turkic peoples should be one civ.

Really?

Carthage:

This map also doesn't include parts of Hispania that Carthage controlled.

Israel:

And that's according to the Israelites themselves, while the above Carthaginian empire is verified by the Romans.

5. Kao'chai

Kao'chai Newbie in Modding

Please , no more , I don't want people to hate me , this only an opinion

6. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I think 3 might be to much for the first edition. For me i think it should be 2, with a third in an expansion.

7. Optimizer

Optimizer Sthlm, SWE

Could Pakistan be seen as contemporary Mughals?

8. exhile

exhile Prince

I agree with this idea that smaller civilizations would become vassal states to master state of a larger civilzation. Just say the technology of regional blocs is attained by 3 of more smaller states and they all build their respective institutions such as European Union, African Union, the Arab League, ASEAN +3, NAFTA and so forth. Combat, zone of control, culture, unit movement, diplomacy would all be reduced from say 18 civs at 4000BC to say 6 civs in 1900AD. vassals can influence the master and vice versa.

India would probably go with Pakistan, Afgahnistan and perhaps Iran.

9. Saim

Saim King

That's what many Pakistani revisionists would argue, but I think its somewhat silly. It is currently the largest Indo-Islamic state, which the Mughals where for a time, so they share that similarity.

10. Saim

Saim King

Once again, this is confusing civilizations with states.

India (region), if it where to create a confederation at all, would include India (republic), Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal and perhaps Bhutan. I seriously doubt that it would include Iran. What I would like though is a single Indian confederation with each ethno-linguistic group getting its own state within it, modelled after the European Union.

11. Saim

Saim King

I don't hate you, I just don't agree with you.

12. exhile

exhile Prince

I'm just saying just because Iran is in proximity of the "Indian Region". It's like Turkey ought to be a part of the EU due to it's close proximity but it's not in today's real world.

13. Nerowannabe

Nerowannabe Warlord

Does anyone know when the final rounds are going on?

14. Civ Person

Civ Person BEAST

How about the mamlukes?

15. Avedeus

Avedeus Chieftain

As a part of the South and South east Asia or India or Tamils; the Cholas had a massive empire from South India nearly upto modern day Thailand; they had fairtrade with the Greeks and Chinese; and polity with the Aryans and Persians.

16. Avedeus

Avedeus Chieftain

Well actually modern day north Indians are close descendants of Iran; they are known as Aryans - If such a confederation were to be formed Bhutan will no doubt be a part of it, Tibet, Iran and Afghanistan will HAVE to be invited because of their significance; also, places like Singapore and Malaysia with significant south Indian minorities who have been native there for >1000 yrs should also get invitations. Ofcourse, practically speaking, none of these countries will submit their autonomy.:confused: But Pak., Bang., Ind., SL., Nep., and Bhutan are inegral parts of the Indosphere as you have said.

17. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Wow, you necro'ed a thread from 2008.....

18. Avedeus

Avedeus Chieftain

<
    LOL yea didnt realise it:lol:

19. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Emperor

Egypt is not in Asia, Einstein.

20. dominatr

dominatr Smoke Jaguar

did he not say middle eastern as well? even though egypt is in africa i'd say it's safe to include it as asian/middle eastern